Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Sup
    reported spam

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't compete, so I decided all I wanted was a simple one with mph, odometer, resettable tripmeter, clock. Anything else I probably wouldn't use. I bought a WCI unit for $10.00 from Amazon and installed it today. Works great and the head is locked very secure to the mount. I was suprised that I am going faster than I thought I was. I do mostly street riding anyway. Besides, my bike is a very low end mountain bike that I was given, but everything works as it should and it gets me around and keeps my 59 year old ticker working.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    I like a pretty basic (inexpensive) Planet Bike 9.0 unit combined with a good phone app. I like being able to look at speed, max speed, time, distance, and temperature on the bike, and then get more data from the phone at breaks or after the ride. I find the mileage the most useful on the computer if I am in areas I don't know so I can tell when I am coming up on trail heads. Hard to do that with the computer in the backpack.
    same here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hands down Garmin Edge 205. GPS is nice to have and if your thinking your phones GPS is fine, your foolin yourself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 08Rover View Post
    Hands down Garmin Edge 205. GPS is nice to have and if your thinking your phones GPS is fine, your foolin yourself.
    I have noticed a pretty big difference especially in the feet climbed, from my iphone to a garmin....

any other computers work with strava besides the Garmin?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I may go for the Wahoo kit

The Wahoo kit for the iPhone includes a weatherproof phone case that incorporates an ANT+ transceiver, a speed and cadence sensor and an iOS fitness app - transforming the smartphone into a bike computer. I may get this one. Only concern is I will need a new one once I upgrade to iPhone 5 :-(

mtbr member
    I just downloaded the App Runtastic Pro MTB for Mountain Bikers. I love the App and the GPS. It does so much BUT like said above, There are limitations and the reason I want a GPS now is because I would love to know where to turn on these single trails that have numerous ways to go. I heard so many good things about the Garmin 7 and 8 series. Will have to buy one soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    If i could only pick 2 things on a computer to have, it would be cadence and heart rate. The rest is nice, but when going DH, the speed isn't as important as making it fun.
    Hm, I would think if you're going DH, you don't have time to look at any functions of a computer. Now, if you want to record your data and review it at a later time, then go for it.

IMHO, all that data is great if you are trying to maximize your efforts for improving your riding.

If you're just out to have fun, it might be nice just to see your current, avg speed and elapsed time. Maybe max speed for giggles....

For me, just having something that is waterproof, something with a big display is key. If I want more data than that, I bring my friend with his fancy GPS computer. I've had moderately good luck with Mapmyride app on my iphone. I like using a HR monitor as a training tool when I'm trying to maximize my workout and also to monitor my efforts on longer rides so that I don't over-exert myself and poop out early.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been using a Garmin Oregon 450. It's used it each and every time I ride. Highly configurable. Displays a satellite image (google earth) your location, with an over lay of speed, elevation, distance and heading. On top of that it records your rides, which can then be viewed in detail or shared online with friends. Here is a ride I did a few days ago: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...ar-1315_42.gpx . It also works with heart rate monitors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    i prefer my Garmin (or similar) watch, you can also get the bike mount if you prefer the handlebar view(it can be dicey when checking your stats on certain trails), cool thing is that it has many functions heart rate,google map view when logged in after ride, altitude etc, i used the cadance unti mounted to the pedal, after three rides it broke off due to sticks etc, i looked into purchase of a point that mounts to your MTB shoe lace. newer models have this beacuase runners use them as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think is not yet created

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2