Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best bang for the buck? What would you get for under $1k

5K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Axe 
#1 ·
I really want to get back into riding. I used to ride a lot of BMX back in the day & a few hardtails. I'd like to know what would be the best bang for the buck with a $1k budget? Also, I'm only 5' 7"

#4 ·
A couple of guys I ride with have them and have had great luck. The component specs on some of them are EXCELLENT for the $$$$.. Spending the same amount of $$$ at the LBS will get you things like Suntour forks, X4 stuff, and low line Shimano. At least here you can get X9 or XT, and a decent fork.

#7 ·
Both bikesdirect route and used route are best if you are comfortable with maintaining everything yourself - otherwise LBS fees will quickly blow up the budget. I have no idea how mechanically inclined OP is (servicing hydros, deraillers, suspension forks is quite different form BMX). Nice last year model hardtail on clearance at LBS will be the best bet if you still need some help.

#8 ·
Good post Axe. Somtimes when you buy used and you don't know what you are looking for, you could be in for some expense. On the other side of the coin, there are some great buys in slightly used bikes.... Left over models are a great idea.

#10 ·
OK folks. Seriously thinking about these posted below. Please LMK, what yall think.

$700 Marauder (6" of travel sounds really attractive)
Airborne Bicycles. Marauder

$700 Motobecane 2010 Fantom Trail DS Mountain Bike
Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 2010 Fantom Trail DS

$1000 Motobecane 2012 Fantom DS Trail
Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom Trail DS

$1100 Motobecane 2012 Fantom Comp DS ($100 over budget, but is it worth it?)
Mountain Bikes with Shimano DynaSys 30 speed - MTB - Motobecane 2011 Fantom Comp DS

#11 ·
You did post in All Mountain, right? So none of those frames will work perfectly.

Order On One 456 frame (slacker summer season - $337 delivered from UK)
Marzocchi 44 Micro 150mm fork on sale in right now ($290 delievered), or Sektor RL coil at Universal with their coupon.
SLX build kit from Ebay (drivetrain and brakes) ~$500 look for 2012 brakes. Some Deore bits will do.
Or go singlespeed route with SLX cranks, conversion kit for regular wheels and BB7 brakes (that's what I did with my TransAM frame)
Cheap wheelset, tires and cheapest cockpit bits from pricepoint and elsewhere.

Satisfaction of building the perfect AM hardtail yourself - priceless.

#13 ·
Building any bike is NOT the best bang for your buck.I personally love doing it and wouldn't do it any other way but you need to realize $1500 bucks is the starting point for a quality build.

#14 ·
I would disagree - for higher end kits. Something that is in the store for $4K+ can often be build for under $2.5K, and you will often get a better overall kit. Mostly depends on what deal you can get for a frame you like.

Also, if you buy a complete, and then proceed to upgrade, it could have been easier to build it right the first time.

And on the cheaper end - sometimes cheaper completes are just no good, especially with forks. Nice fork found on sale can turn a cheap hardtail into a very well performing choice. And if you go the single speed route, one can build something very good for around a grand. Frame and fork I have mentioned above can let you do that (yes, one can get wheelset and ss build kit for under half a thousand.) And that is a much better frame and fork (for "AM", whatever it is) then the bargain choices that had been mentioned.

#15 ·
I always say this, and I'm sure it sounds negative but be careful with any bike that you can't test ride first. If you don't understand what the numbers on a geometry table mean and how they relate to how a bike feels and fits your body then you shouldn't be buying a bike online. The absolute most important part of any bike is the way it fits and for first time buyers it is very hard to be sure by buying a bike online. At an absolute minimum you should go to a LBS and test ride every manufacturer that you can for size. Each manufacturer fits their bikes differently and you have to know you size before you can order a bike.

Don't get so hung up on what parts are on a bike, if it rides like crap it won't matter that it has an XTR derailleur or a Fox fork on it, it'll still ride like crap.

#16 ·
Don't get so hung up on what parts are on a bike, if it rides like crap it won't matter that it has an XTR derailleur or a Fox fork on it, it'll still ride like crap.
Fork is a huge part on how a hardtail rides. As far as fit, it ain't rocket science. Just pick your reach/ETT and fine tune with seat, stem and handlebars. Your LBS will not be swapping those parts for you on a test ride anyway.

Can't go wrong with steel, slack hardtail. You just can not. Everybody loves them. ;)

#17 ·
Friend of mine has:
Mountain Bikes with Shimano DynaSys 30 speed - MTB - Motobecane 2011 Fantom Comp DS

He loves it and it does what ALL MOUNTAIN needs to do. (Although Axe is the know it all, so make sure you ask him first)

You cant beat the price for this hardtail. Recon fork is solid, XT rear D, decent list for the $$$. In the LBS you will get Suntour and Alivio.
Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 2011 Fantom Comp

Compare to this Rocky Mountain hardtail:
Rocky Mountain Reaper I Bike '11 at JensonUSA.com

I know some say not to get hung up on components for some reason, but to me, the drivetrain and fork make the WORLD of difference. No you don't need X0 or XTR, but some good grade SLX, X9, X7, or XT components will make your bike more reliable and shift much better.

Just my 5cents

#18 ·
Although Axe is the know it all, so make sure you ask him first
Yes, ask me. Never hurts to ask a lot of different people. :rolleyes:

P.S. I very much like my bikesdirect's fly ti. Trashing it for three years now. Titanium FTW. For Fantom line - Pro with Revelation fork would be a very nice upgrade over Tora... As the know-it-all I think getting Turnkey is a waste of money... ;)

#22 ·
buy a used kona, check ebay and pinkbike. I'm assuming with your bmx background you'll be pounding on your mtb. Kona's are tough and cheap. Get a coiler, or old stinky if you plan on riding hard. Just be careful you don't buy something with a blown fork and shock, and stop signs for wheels. Cheap Kona's are often in this condition. Hard tails are great on a budget, but I'll bet you can find a full squish AM/FR bike for around 1k if you are ok with older parts and heavy weight.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.