Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best bang-for-the-buck 180mm or 180/160mm hydraulic disc brake set?

Looking at what's available and the choices are pretty overwhelming. I wish to spend no more than $250 on a hydraulic disc brake set with 180mm rotors or 180mm and 160mm in back. The set doesn't have to be MY11, I could go with an older and proven model as well. My past experiences with disc brakes include Shimano M475 brakes (average stopping power and modulation) and Hayes HFX9 Heavy Duty (awesome power but pretty loud and noisy). White calipers would be a bonus too.

GAME ON!
    if you're cool with ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Formula-Oro-K24-...item27b72aef31

i had a set and i really liked them. actually, i had that set from the same seller.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Price point has Avid elixer's on sale. The elixer r you could get for 230 the elixer cr for a little extra if u feel like spending some more money, and an even better deal on hayes stroker brakes. Check it out they have a bunch of stuff on sale http://www.pricepoint.com/promos/eoy/drivetrain.htm

mtbr member
    Shimano - pick a model.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees
    Shimano - pick a model.
    i concur, pick the one that fits your budget.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees
    Shimano - pick a model.
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    i concur, pick the one that fits your budget.
    Shimano SLX 665 brakes have really caught my attention. But can I run these without centerlock rotors? Is there a Shimano equivalent 6-bolt rotor that works with the SLX? I ask because I'm finding better deals on 6-bolt disc wheelsets and hubs than centerlock.

mtbr member

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Shimano SLX 665 brakes have really caught my attention. But can I run these without centerlock rotors? Is there a Shimano equivalent 6-bolt rotor that works with the SLX? I ask because I'm finding better deals on 6-bolt disc wheelsets and hubs than centerlock.
    they'll work with any shimano rotor and probably most other rotors.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Having used a variety of good and less-good brakes, my personal opinion is it's hard to go wrong -- in the price range you're talking -- with Avid Elixirs,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Having used a variety of good and less-good brakes, my personal opinion is it's hard to go wrong -- in the price range you're talking -- with Avid Elixirs,
    http://www.ediscountbike.com/Brakes-...-p9270949.html

Like so?

Off the back...
    I run SLX on two bikes and three different wheelsets. One has centerlock, one has Avid from a few years ago, and one XT 6-bolt. All work just fine.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Exactly, though not familiar with that retailer. You should easily be able to get the Rs and possibly the CRs in your price range from a variety of well-known retailers.

As I said, they're not the greatest brakes in the world when compared to Hopes or Formulas, but at that price point they're easily better than any Hayes brakes and I prefer the lever feel to any Shimano stuff I've used.

I just bought another set for my Blue Pig build as I couldn't justify the expense of Hope for that bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    How about SLX m665 brakes with 2005 6" Hayes Sole rotors? Will the Shimano pads fit the rotors?

fan of maple syrup
    I've run Shimano brakes with a few different aftermarket rotors, and all tended to leave a bit of rotor unused - Shimano rotors tend to have a short braking surface (viewed side on). My most recent build I decided to stick with the Shimano/Shimano setup, and run the new XT 6-bolt (RT-76) with my Saint M810's which, in my opinion, look better than any rotors out there. And with 203mm rotors F & R they stop like a motherf**ker. Plenty of bite, but I don't know how much of that is just 4 pot calipers as opposed to the rotor design.

Sure, the rotors are maybe 100g heavier combined, than some other weight weenie brand. But it's 100g ... big whoopee. I can turd out 5 times that before a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    if you're cool with ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Formula-Oro-K24-...item27b72aef31

i had a set and i really liked them. actually, i had that set from the same seller.
    I got these (actually just won them a couple of days ago, haven't received them yet) from the same seller - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    XT levers, LX calipers. Mine were "on sale" and were actually $111 shipped, although it was the same auction that has a different price now.

mtbr member
    You can get the newest XT M775 (I think) for $200. Not only do the XTs work amazingly well, the maintenance is suer easy. Doesent hurt also that they look good also.

mtbr member
    Just bought Shimano M665 SLX brakes with 180mm Shimano XT RT75S rotors for $250 shipped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    I can turd out 5 times that before a ride.
    Indeed, in one study mean stool weight of the specimens was 407.66 133.27g for men and 294.65 102.14 g for women. 500g is thus not particularly large.

But that was an Iranian study. It concluded:
    Conclusion-As compared to western communities who usually consume a low fiber and high fat diet, the Iranian population in our study had higher stool weight, higher frequency of defecation and shorter transit time probably due to their unique high fiber and low fat diet.
    (Really boring meeting, I am in.. )

mtbr member
    If you live in Europe then Bike-Components in Germany has a set of 2010 Avid Elixir 5 for 145 euros.

mtbr member
    Okay, just bought some Avid Elixir 5 Disc Brake 185mm front and read on Chainlove.com now for $59.99 each.

So which I do keep? SLX or Elixir 5? I wanted white calipers from the get go. Decisions, decisions. Looks like the SLX are going back.
    Last edited by eurospek; 01-24-2011 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Indeed, in one study mean stool weight of the specimens was 407.66 133.27g for men and 294.65 102.14 g for women. 500g is thus not particularly large.

But that was an Iranian study. It concluded:

(Really boring meeting, I am in.. )
    I don't know if you can make any conclusions with that kind of distribution. $hitty or otherwise.

mtbr member
    Okay, just bought some Avid Elixir 5 Disc Brake 185mm front and read on Chainlove.com now for $59.99 each.

So which I do keep? SLX or Elixir 5? I wanted white calipers from the get go. Decisions, decisions. Looks like the SLX are going back.
    I prefer the SLX for several reasons. They're strong, good modulation, look good, easy to setup/adjust, retract from the rotor a good ways to eliminate brake rub, I like the lever feel, reach adjust is super easy even with gloves on, and they use less caustic mineral oil instead of DOT fluid. I just got another set for my second bike for $99 per wheel from Blue Sky.

Those Elixir 5s were a sweet deal on Chainlove though. I would have jumped on them myself for the price if I didn't already have 2 sets of SLX. Still, it would have been just because of the super low price. I've been really happy with my SLX and it makes more sense to maintain the same lever feel for the brakes between my 2 bikes in my opinion.

Note on Shimano: Most of the SLX stuff performs just as good as XT while being only a few grams heavier. Shimano may have shot themselves in the foot with that one. Where I previously would have went XT, I see no need to go above SLX, especially when I keep finding deals for half the price of XT. I think the all black SLX looks much better as well. On the brakes you get a 2 piece caliper instead of a 1 piece like the XT, so it's a little heavier. Everything else is the same though. Same servo wave levers, same brake pads, same braking power. I have the SLX cranks and the SLX brakes. It's quality kit.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 01-24-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    I prefer the SLX for several reasons.
    I've come to the same conclusion. The SLX are staying for good. Threw up the Avids on eBay for now, if no one bites, they are going back. Even just comparing the quality of the levers and calipers, SLX wins on looks alone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I haven't tried SLX, but my Juicy fives have been running strong for the past two years. I haven't even had to bleed them.
    They may be old, but they work far better than any brakes that I have tried.

mtbr member
    CRC has complete formula oro k24 brakeset for $230 shipped. Front one comes with PM to PM mount. So if you run IS fork you have to get PM to IS for additional ~$25. Available are 180 and 160 mm versions with white calipers. Comes as a complete brakeset including rotors and mounting hardware.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast