Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Best AM under $3000?! Pleae help!

So I have doing lots of research and test riding..... narrowed down search to three bikes: Specialized Enduro Comp SL, Scott Ransom 40 and Giant Reign X1. All have great strengths and are all three also very different. I need to make a choice soon so I can get riding! Please let me know your thoughts. Other choices? (I know I am opening the flood gates with that one though....

mtbr member
    What kind of riding are you planning on? Of the bikes you listed, the Reign x1 stands out as being more freeride oriented than the others. The other two have some proprietary components on them that make me somewhat leery of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owler
    Do not dispute right of way with a tree.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Good job!

I won't be hucking myself down cliffs but I do want something burly enough to handle more than just trails and single track. I need something light enough to climb and can handle more than 2-3 ft drops. I plan on hitting Whistler this Summer. I'm kina ruling out the Reign due to weight, although I know its a great bike. I love the Enduro front shocks, and also love the Scott rear set-up and the look of the bike in general. I just test rode a Gary Fisher Cake 1 as we'll and loved the geometry and lite feel. I know its a five-incher but I gotta throw it in the mix as well.

mtbr member
    If you don't like the weight on the Reign X you might want to check out the standard reign, quite a few people on these boars swear by it. You've probably checked it out already, but everyone seems to love the Heckler as a do it all type of rig. I ride a diamondback mission 3, which also fits in your category. I was one of the first people to order one, so I had to wait for awhile for some kinks to be worked out, but it's a solid bike. It probably wont pedal as well as a Reign, but that hasnt bothered me, and it's low CG make it really easy to absolutely rail turns. The biggest reason I chose it over the reign was the RS Pike 454, super adjustable, plush, and stiff.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Good job!

I won't be hucking myself down cliffs but I do want something burly enough to handle more than just trails and single track. I need something light enough to climb and can handle more than 2-3 ft drops. I plan on hitting Whistler this Summer. I'm kina ruling out the Reign due to weight, although I know its a great bike. I love the Enduro front shocks, and also love the Scott rear set-up and the look of the bike in general. I just test rode a Gary Fisher Cake 1 as we'll and loved the geometry and lite feel. I know its a five-incher but I gotta throw it in the mix as well.

"Its All Good"
    3K USD bro, that gets you into some pretty nice rigs.... Check out the Titus El Gaupo, the Turner RFX, Ellsworth Moment etc etc,
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    I think each of those is about $2000 frame only, so that's probably out of his price range.

I really need to stop responding to his thread and start studying.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've looked into those as well. Heckler is a bit too heavy IMO, did not feel as nimble. I might be leaning toward the Enduro - the suspension package is just so plush and easy to adjust. But damn, the GF geometry felt good! The component package on the Enduro is also great for the $$. I like the look of the Titus El Guapo - not sure if there is a dealer around my area though to test ride, not sure abou the cost as well.

mtbr member
    The Enduro SL is a nice ride. Test ride it, and all of your others first. Most people that try it fall in love with it or realize that the geometry of that genre isn't to their liking (like me). Check the Specialized board for fanboys of that ride, and while you're at it check the other brand boards to see the common pros and cons of each.

mtbr member
    motolite or 575 can be built REALLY nicely for 3 g's. they can take occasional 3 footers and are great all around bikes. id also look at the heckler. it's not as efficient as the motolite but its really fun and does it all.

you really need to go test ride.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffefrijoles
    I've looked into those as well. Heckler is a bit too heavy IMO, did not feel as nimble. I might be leaning toward the Enduro - the suspension package is just so plush and easy to adjust. But damn, the GF geometry felt good! The component package on the Enduro is also great for the $$. I like the look of the Titus El Guapo - not sure if there is a dealer around my area though to test ride, not sure abou the cost as well.
    Heckler to heavy you need a XC bike then.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

DNW
    mtbr member
    Transition Covert.

mtbr member
    I'm really diggin my Transition Covert right now. It can be built up sub 30 or like mine at 34 pounds with a pretty stout build. I run a 426 pike and the DHX air 5.0 and have taken +5ft drops with ease (granted the tranny was very well built It's a fun bike to point down hill and rip and when you have to pedal back up it does it very comfortably. It's also very affordable.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So after more test rides and reading reviews, I'm still leaning towards the Speacialized Enduro Cmp SL. Sounds like I need to check out the Ellsworth Moment as well though? And maybe even the Diamond Back Mission.... Stll sctatching my head over the Gary Fisher Cake 1 DLX though... found one on close out for $2200 decked out pretty well, and it felt great (even though its only a 5"er). Love the look and feel of the Scott Ransom, but that would be the most spendy. I can get the Comp Sl with great the higher end components for a couple hundred less.

mtbr member
    The Moment is $2200 frame only. The Specialized is supposed to ride very well, but remember it has a proprietary fork, front hub, and shock. You might wanna check out the thread in the specialized forums, a few people have been having some problems. It will probably be pretty hard to find one as well, looks like the 2007 run is almost all spoken for, so you'd most likely have to wait a few months unless you an find a shop with one. I'd be worried about the durability of the GF Cake if I were you, sounds like it could be too light for what you want to do with it.

Minneapolis-Seattle
    I really like my RM Slayer

ride hard take risks
    Check out a Turner.

http://www.turnerbikes.com/2007/spot.html

If you want more XC then Flux it

http://www.turnerbikes.com/2007/flux.html
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Flux is a great bike and the 575 and Moto can be built for under $3K as well if you know where to buy and don't go crazy bling on your build. Good luck. I'm not a Specialized fan and find their bikes too flexy and too annoyingly proprietary but I also know people who really like them so if you like the ride and can deal with the proprietary hubs/forks, go for it. There are better bikes out there for my money at the same price range.

You should be able to get a great bike for your price range. Go for the BEST frame and then build it up with some durable parts that will serve you well. You can always upgrade components later but you're stuck with the frame so spend your money on the frame and not on blinging out your build.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    OK, unfortunately I'm on a budget, and not really a "build it up" guy.... so that in mind, I need something off the rack for now. Maybe later in the year I would be able to start upgrading. That being said, I really have narrowed it down to either the Specialized Enduro Comp SL and the Reign 1. I can get either for about $2500 and there are shops around me with my size in stock... I just need to make a decision and pull the trigger. I have ridden both and they feel very similar, and are only a pound different in weight (31.5# on the Reign and 30.5# for the Enduro). I may be leading toward the Reign for the proprietary parts reason though. Am I on the right track, or should I really keep shoppng around as everyone keeps throwing other bike names at me.....??? I have yet to hear anyone say what bike they actually have and say "do not buy this one...." Seems like everyone swears by what they are riding. Still am interested though in testing the Ellsworth Moment... shop was closed today (they must have been out riding.....)

ride hard take risks
    I dont ride any of the bikes i recomended, mine are all to heavy for you. Here is 1 i do own but it's way under your price range.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Atlas.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ibex - nice bike, good specs... but would be hard pressed to get an opprotunity to test ride one. Haven't seen any local dealer carry them. Nor the Yeti, or the Turner (which isut of my price range anyway).

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffefrijoles
    Ibex - nice bike, good specs... but would be hard pressed to get an opprotunity to test ride one. Haven't seen any local dealer carry them. Nor the Yeti, or the Turner (which isut of my price range anyway).
    Come on down to Nor Cal bro you can ride it all you want i'll even be your guide on my 39lb Blitz II.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I appreciate all the info and advice. After all test rides and consideratin I think I will probably go with the Giant Reign 1. In stock, my size, well equipped for $2400 USD. I think its best bang for buck - Specialized was great, but I think the proprietary parts are what are steering me away. Most of your other suggestions are either not testable for me, or the frames would eat up most if not all my budget. Anyone tell me I' nuts... or that I'm making a good call. Thanks!

ride hard take risks
    Call it in, your happy
    Formotion Products

thats right living legend
    Fine choice indeed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast