Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best AM Trail?

I <3 Dirt

Best AM Trail?

Not sure if someone's posted this already, but what's the best All Mtn trail you've done? Not the most technical, but the most fun, well designed AM trail you've ever ridden?
    Last edited by mealsonwheels; 01-09-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added question mark to title

Airborne Flight Crew
    The Whole Enchilada - Moab. I wouldn't even really classify it as "AM", but whatever it is, its the most fun I've had on a non-DH bike.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels View Post
    Not sure if someone's posted this already, but what's the best All Mtn trail you've done? Not the most technical, but the most fun, well designed AM trail you've ever ridden?
    What is an AM trail?

AM is a descriptor of a type of bike or component, not a trail.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I second the Whole Enchilada. I make the pilgramage to ride it at least three or four times a year.

Edit: BTW, I interpreted AM as an Enduro esque type trail for what its worth. I love Rainmaker at Winter Park, but I would classify that as downhill.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I second the Whole Enchilada. I make the pilgramage to ride it at least three or four times a year.

Edit: BTW, I interpreted AM as an Enduro esque type trail for what its worth. I love Rainmaker at Winter Park, but I would classify that as downhill.
    Question about Whole Enchilada: What is the earliest in the year you can do the whole thing? Some friends and I are considering a trip to that area in May. Are the upper elevations clear by then?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would be remiss in giving you an exact date for the "Whole" Whole Enchilada, but I would guess you are only doing Hazard down at that point. Mid June and fall are safer bets to run the whole thing.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    What is an AM trail?

AM is a descriptor of a type of bike or component, not a trail.
    Says who?

According to the forum description: "More than XC, less than FR/DH." In a forum described as "All Moutain", it would follow that someone asking about an "All Mountain" trail is asking about trails that are (wait for it...) more than XC, less than FR/DH. With a post count so high, I'd guess you've probably had this discussion at least once....

Last edited by jhazard; 01-10-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

beater
    Question about Whole Enchilada: What is the earliest in the year you can do the whole thing? Some friends and I are considering a trip to that area in May. Are the upper elevations clear by then?
    When I've gone in May, I've been able to get to either the top or the bottom of Kokopelli, depending on recent precip and road conditions. In a light snow year, and late May, you might have an outside chance at Hazard, but I wouldn't bet on it. No chance at Burro Pass. Much of it's steep, densely timbered, and north-facing, so I'd imagine it holds snow a long time.

While I also tend to think as AM as more of a product category, I can certainly think of trails that are "more than XC and less than DH." Generally these are trails that we climb for the purpose of a killer descent. Most of the best trails like that in the mountains around here weren't designed as bike trails at all, but are old CCC trails in the USFS. Sometimes they're fairly smooth, but sometimes they're gnarly. We're spoiled for choice up here, actually. Lots of big-mountain backcountry epics.

The Enchilada route is a bit different though, since the UPS and LPS portions were laid out with bikes in mind. That trail is definitely worth a pilgrimage. I wouldn't argue with it being one of the top contenders in this thread, since it has everything from super steep alpine to desert chunder. It's hard to say which section is my favorite. LPS is a strong contender, but Burro and Hazard are both so awesome that going in the spring is a little bittersweet.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Says who?

According to the forum description: "More than XC, less than FR/DH." In a forum described as "All Moutain", it would follow that someone asking about an "All Mountain" trail is asking about trails that are (wait for it...) more than XC, less than FR/DH. With a post count so high, I'd guess you've probably had this discussion at least once....

Pot, meet kettle.

Says who? The people who first started using the term in relation to bikes. It was originally a term for a new type of bike being offered in the early 2000's. It still works well for this.

As a descriptor of a trail type, it's pretty weak. Regarding "More than XC, less than FR/DH"...... More what? It's a stupid definition when you apply it to a trail. Ride Whole enchilada from the top down and it's "AM". Ride it up and back and its "XC". Same trail.

I think "Enduro" or "Super-D" (where you go primarily down, or an event where the down part is what is timed) is what some people thinking about when they use the term "AM" trail. Other specifically think of "AM" and meaning a rough trail that you need to pedal to the top of to earn the down. Others just think it means a rough trail.

It is a sloppy, imprecise word as applied to trails (evidenced by the endless threads arguing about what an "AM" trail is), and since it is also a descriptor of bikes and components, it has led to a lot of confusion and misconception about what stuff people need to ride what terrain.
    Last edited by kapusta; 01-10-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    When I've gone in May, I've been able to get to either the top or the bottom of Kokopelli, depending on recent precip and road conditions. In a light snow year, and late May, you might have an outside chance at Hazard, but I wouldn't bet on it. No chance at Burro Pass. Much of it's steep, densely timbered, and north-facing, so I'd imagine it holds snow a long time.

While I also tend to think as AM as more of a product category, I can certainly think of trails that are "more than XC and less than DH." Generally these are trails that we climb for the purpose of a killer descent. Most of the best trails like that in the mountains around here weren't designed as bike trails at all, but are old CCC trails in the USFS. Sometimes they're fairly smooth, but sometimes they're gnarly. We're spoiled for choice up here, actually. Lots of big-mountain backcountry epics.

The Enchilada route is a bit different though, since the UPS and LPS portions were laid out with bikes in mind. That trail is definitely worth a pilgrimage. I wouldn't argue with it being one of the top contenders in this thread, since it has everything from super steep alpine to desert chunder. It's hard to say which section is my favorite. LPS is a strong contender, but Burro and Hazard are both so awesome that going in the spring is a little bittersweet.
    Thanks for the info

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I would be remiss in giving you an exact date for the "Whole" Whole Enchilada, but I would guess you are only doing Hazard down at that point. Mid June and fall are safer bets to run the whole thing.
    How is the rest of Moab in mid-June? I've been through there in July a few times, twice it was just brutally hot (did not have my bike, anyway), the other time it was overcast and quite pleasant to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I figure that "all-mountain" means riding up, riding down, riding all around. With sufficient pucker moments occuring during all three to distinguish it from XC.

Triple H in Sedona is a good AM ride. Best? I dunno, but it's 50-60km of riding, lots of exposure, plenty of climbing and descending, and plenty of trail (especially on Hangover) that a lot of decent riders will walk. Also a lot of pedalling.

Much as I love Enchilada, and even just UPS down, I wouldnt' call it all mountain unless you ride up. And that's not so much fun. I've done it as a loop from town on several visits to Moab and, while riding up Sand Flats road and/or the hightway is solid exercise, it's not what I would call beaucoup fun when done on the sort of bike you want for the downhill. Riding up the trail itself is rarely an option, from what I've seen, given the amount of DH traffic. I also think Triple H has way more tech. Other than a couple of moves near the bottom of Enchilada, it's pretty easy to clean everything. It is wicked fast, which makes it fun, though!

mtbr member

Best AM Trail Combo

+1 for the Whole Enchilada. But it is mostly downhill.

You want a great combo of technical singletrack, downhill, climbs, ledges, lifts, drops, scenery and overall "epicness"?

Contact Coyote Shuttle and get shuttled to the trailhead for Gemini Bridges.

The route is:
    Gemini Bridges to Gold Spike Trail to Goldbar Rim to The Portal Trail.

The bridges are amazing, the climb to the top of Goldbar Rim is a beast, it's like an all uphill Slickrock. Then you as you traverse toward The Portal it is a technical riding festival. The Portal is an exposure and technical riding legend.

Can't wait to do it all again in October this year.
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Delirious Tuck
    In the North East, Millers Pond is pretty awesome for a 2-3 hour tour features, tech, and pedally goodness.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Another for Enchilada. Best bet IMO is mid- late Sept; everything open, not so damn hot.

If you take shuttle all the way up to the base of Burro, I'd call the climb up to the top a major one. If you can clean this on any bike- especially a 30+ lbs AM bike- you are a rock star climber in my book. If you can clean the entire descent, you are a rock star rider in anybody's book. The other climb up to the top of Hazard County is also tough but cleanable by a good AM rider on an average weight AM bike

So it's an "AM" trail by whatever definition, AFAIC
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    The route is:
    Gemini Bridges to Gold Spike Trail to Goldbar Rim to The Portal Trail.
    With the new(-ish) Mag-7 system, you actually would hardly use the Gemini road at all, and it's fantastic!

And with that, I guess I'll toss my favorite as being some of the trails in that system and others that aren't "offically" the Mag-7. I like Bull Run, Arths Corner, Great Escape and Long Canyon.

meow meow
    i havnt sampled a lot of stuff but i am a fan of catamount in vt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Jazz Chrome and Cabin boy in Vernal (think those were the names). Milk n cookies was good for what I could find, never found the bottom half of the trail though (well hidden for someone not being shown around by locals). More trail/XC but I had more fun on the Vernal trails than any other place that I've ridden.

I've also had more flats, and gotten lost more often
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How is the rest of Moab in mid-June? I've been through there in July a few times, twice it was just brutally hot (did not have my bike, anyway), the other time it was overcast and quite pleasant to ride.
    Mid June typically isn't too hot. It gets punitive around the July timeframe. There are several other great trails in the area if you make the trip: Mag 7, Sovereign, the revamped Klondike bluffs area, Amasa back etc.

Also, to comment on The Whole Enchilada as not being all mountain as you don't climb, I would disagree to a certain extent. The climb up to the top of the La Salles, the climb to the top of Hazard, and all the undulations in between afford some decent pedaling.

If we are just talking about long, Epic rides without regard to chunder, and techy moves, that gas your legs a bit more, there are a million of them in Colorado that are awesome: Monarch Crest (with rainbow), Kenosha Pass to Breckenridge, Segment 1 and 2 from Buff to Denver, etc, etc, etc. There are also some nice techy rides in Grand Junction and Fruita like the lunch loops.

I still consider the Whole Enchilada an AM ride and stands as my favorite.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    In my very limited experience, Tsali has been the best.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Pot, meet kettle.

It is a sloppy, imprecise word as applied to trails (evidenced by the endless threads arguing about what an "AM" trail is), and since it is also a descriptor of bikes and components, it has led to a lot of confusion and misconception about what stuff people need to ride what terrain.

We all know there is a difference between riding a DH trail and an XC trail - "AM" is pointing to that difference.

Judging from the responses so far, people seem to understand it - it all refers to the same type of riding no matter what its called - Enduro, Super D, or riding UP The Whole Enchilada...

Mabye "All Mountain" is sloppy terminology... What should trails like this be called? Should they be called anything? Just "trails"?
    |end hijack|

As for the T.W.E., its worth the wait to do the complete route which includes Burro pass. Its a killer alpine climb so you definitely still earn the turns, despite the shuttle. And the decent to Hazard: lush forest, running water/stream you have opportunity to jump, steeps, DIRT, roots... Not what you'd expect from the town famous for slickrock.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

I <3 Dirt
    Kapusta, by AM I mean not a shuttle or lift assisted DH trail which is ridden in one direction or a XC trail with limited technical features.

I'm thinking about the best designed trails and the most fun. Trails at Moab like Pipe Dream and some of the newer, more technical stuff at the Brand trails pushed the limits of trail design in my opinion. While these trails may not be at the top of my list for classic AM trails, the quality of trail design was amazing and really fun to ride.

Honestly, I just wanted to hear everyone's top favorite AM trails so I can make a road trip wish list

Airborne Flight Crew
    Also check Lunch Loops in Grand Junction. Holy Cross and some of the others there are definitely not "XC with limited tech features".
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    With the new(-ish) Mag-7 system, you actually would hardly use the Gemini road at all, and it's fantastic!

And with that, I guess I'll toss my favorite as being some of the trails in that system and others that aren't "offically" the Mag-7. I like Bull Run, Arths Corner, Great Escape and Long Canyon.
    I have not been out there in going on five years. I don't know anything about the routes you mentioned. How new are they? Do you have more intel on them? I am trying to head out there October this year. Would love to try those out.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    +1 for Monarch Crest. My kids rode it for the first time when they were 10 and 12. Hardcore.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

We all know there is a difference between riding a DH trail and an XC trail - "AM" is pointing to that difference.

Judging from the responses so far, people seem to understand it - it all refers to the same type of riding no matter what its called - Enduro, Super D, or riding UP The Whole Enchilada...

Mabye "All Mountain" is sloppy terminology... What should trails like this be called? Should they be called anything? Just "trails"?
    |end hijack|

As for the T.W.E., its worth the wait to do the complete route which includes Burro pass. Its a killer alpine climb so you definitely still earn the turns, despite the shuttle. And the decent to Hazard: lush forest, running water/stream you have opportunity to jump, steeps, DIRT, roots... Not what you'd expect from the town famous for slickrock.
    Thanks for the TWE info. It's looking like this is more likely to happen in Sept or Oct. This plan for a trip out there (hatched under the influence of post-ride beers) is only a week old and the realities of getting the week off of work and families are beginning to settle in with the other guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wouldn't the Magnificent 7 be considered XC? I always assumed that AM was a trail that had a pretty fair technical element to it.

Picture Unrelated
    Says who? The people who first started using the term in relation to bikes. It was originally a term for a new type of bike being offered in the early 2000's. It still works well for this.
    I agree with everything you say except that last sentence here. For the same reason it is imprecise in describing trails it is imprecise in describing bicycles. "All mountain" is a meaningless marketing term and let's leave it at that. I'm not sure we have to call it something as most people mistake XC riders (racers, in particular) as dirt roadies but really it's all trail riding. If I were to have to define AM (even typing the abbreviation makes me grind my teeth) it would be technical terrain which is not suitable for DH or FR bikes due to at least a bit of climbing being involved.

The most all mountainy trail I have had the pleasure to ride is another vote for the Whole Enchilada. I would say that the early dates for WE are hard to pin down and are tied closely to the winter and spring weather but if you want an ideal time then hit it in fall. When the aspens start turning it just steps up the whole visual aspect of going from pines to aspens to desert, it's something to see for sure.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    Wouldn't the Magnificent 7 be considered XC? I always assumed that AM was a trail that had a pretty fair technical element to it.
    Well everyone's definition of AM is different and therefore you might be correct. But I would propose that the second half of Portal is some seriously nasty tech riding and would qualify. I haven't rode the rest of Mag yet so I will reserve judgment on it, though I believe it depends on the trail segment as to how technical the riding ends up being. Overall, I would classify it as AM from the videos and descriptions I have seen of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    In addition, look down a few maps here:
    Trail Mix
    They have the other trails in the area that are not "officially" part of the Mag 7, and they are wonderful. Also, since it's been 5 years, look at the new stuff at the Brand Trail system and Klondike area. Lots of diggin the last 2 years.

For the record, IMO the Mag-7 area would qualify as AM and moderately techy since it's not exactly smooth flowy singletrack. Go to Youtube and search Mag-7 or Bull-Run. I have a Bull Run video up but I can't access YT at work.

mtbr member

Highline Trail, Sedona AZ

The Forest Service has finally recognized and added the Highline Trail to their Sedona trail system. Highline has a little bit of everything... tech ups & downs, speed flow sections, unforgiving exposure, slickrock and incredible views.

Highline Trail Sedona 2011

mtbr member
    Here are two or three of my favorite AM trails.

I love the Lunch Loops in Grand Junction, CO.
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/47141445" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/47141445">20120801 Pucker Up GJ</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/denverbomb">Colossians TwoEight</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Kurt Gowdy, WY is great
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/42628048" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/42628048">2012 Curt Gowdy Mountain Bike</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/mtbmikeco">Mike Harris</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Black Jack at Buffalo Creek, CO
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/31008601" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/31008601">2011 Oct 23 - BlackJack (Buffalo Creek) Mountain Bike</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/mtbmikeco">Mike Harris</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/27078525" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/27078525">2011 0729 BOMB Buffalo Creek FF</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/denverbomb">Colossians TwoEight</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

Go faster!

Cool-blue Rhythm

Regardless of how you define all mountain. I suggest you spend some time in Pisgah National Forest.

trail addict
    Well, yeah, they are just "trails" aren't they?

And guys were (and still are) riding them on lesser technology and older bikes than what "All-Mountain" should normally describe.

To me... if it is an up and down loop, then that's what it is. If it is rocky or chunky, then that is what it is. If there is a jump or two, then awesome. If it is steep/gradual/wide/narrow/techy/full of manmade obstacles/full of natural obstacles.... whatever then that's what it is. None of those things identifies a trail as "AM". It is not a speed or a difficulty level or a length.

Perhaps the argument could be made that that an out-and-back trail where the turnaround is a Mt Dew vending machine is the only true AM trail... but that is another story.

I would prefer to see more specific trail DESCRIPTIONS without using AM as an adjective. Start with IMBA guidelines... what is beginner, intermediate, etc is pretty clearly defined, length and elevation gain can be clearly defined... are obstacles mandatory or is there a bail-out line. These things say far more about a trail than "AM".

If it is shuttles or lifts, then it is DH, whole different story and whole different rating system for beginner, intermediate, etc.

Ehhh, take it for what it is worth. Just my opinion.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Afric Pepperbird
    I've really got to get off my lazy Oregon a$$ someday and eat that Enchilada!

By the way, for any of you hikers out there (I know, I know... this is the AM forum, but there must be some!), is the Whole Enchilada for biking only? I'd love to hike that thing with my brother, who is not into the biking thing, but is an avid hiker.

Is it a shared use trail system? Looking at videos, it looks rather wide in some spots, like dirt road-wide. Hiking on roads sucks!

mtbr member
    wilsonblur...who art thou? DenverBOMB. Step into your wayback machine, I used to be part of Colorado Springs BOMB. Does Mike Goertz still ride with DenverBOMB?

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post

By the way, for any of you hikers out there (I know, I know... this is the AM forum, but there must be some!), is the Whole Enchilada for biking only? I'd love to hike that thing with my brother, who is not into the biking thing, but is an avid hiker.

Is it a shared use trail system? Looking at videos, it looks rather wide in some spots, like dirt road-wide. Hiking on roads sucks!
    It's a trail on public lands, so there's no reason you can't hike it. But you should consider that this is one of the most popular trails in the country's most famous mountain bike destination. The volume of traffic is pretty high and a lot of it is pretty narrow singletrack. I'd even rate walking the Burro section as borderline dangerous- it's really steep (drops about 1,000 feet in a mile) and you may not have a lot of warning.

There is a fair amount of road/doubletrack, but much less than half. The Porcupine Rim portion is doubletrack, and Kokopelli is an old road that's now rutted into singletrack.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Keep on Rockin...
    AM trail definition....

An AM trail is a trail which when ridden by a well rounded rider will yield the most fun when ridden on an AM style bike.

You can replace AM with XC race, trail, or DH or FR. By now we all have a good idea of what a xc bike is, or a trail bike, or an AM bike,....

In short, if the best bike for the trail I'm riding is an AM bike, then by definition it is an AM trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

well, in that case...

Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels View Post

Honestly, I just wanted to hear everyone's top favorite AM trails so I can make a road trip wish list
    if your road trip includes B.C., by all means add the " Nelson" trails in Squamish & Comfortably Numb in Whistler to the wish list.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Yeah, as mentioned you can, but if you want to hike there are a lot of other places in Moab that you could hike that you cannot ride. I'd save TWE for the bike and see some other awesome stuff that you can't see on your bike.

mtbr member
    wilsonblur...who art thou? DenverBOMB. Step into your wayback machine, I used to be part of Colorado Springs BOMB. Does Mike Goertz still ride with DenverBOMB?
    My name is Mark. I was in the Germany BOMB when I live there and moved to CO about 2.5yrs ago and joined the group here. If you look in the Black Jack video in the beginning you can see Goertz. I had breakfast with him this morning to work out our ride schedule for the year. Where do you live now and you are always welcome to join us on our trips. Going to GJ/Fruita, Crested Butte, and Moab this year. PM me if you want my personal info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    It's a trail on public lands, so there's no reason you can't hike it. But you should consider that this is one of the most popular trails in the country's most famous mountain bike destination. The volume of traffic is pretty high and a lot of it is pretty narrow singletrack. I'd even rate walking the Burro section as borderline dangerous- it's really steep (drops about 1,000 feet in a mile) and you may not have a lot of warning.

There is a fair amount of road/doubletrack, but much less than half. The Porcupine Rim portion is doubletrack, and Kokopelli is an old road that's now rutted into singletrack.
    Burro is great and can be dangerous. We rode it after a snow storm and the mud created a crazy slick surface. All you WA and OR guys will have no issue since you are used to riding stuff like that. I lived in Germany for a bit and got used to riding slippery stuff, all my Denver counter parts were a little at a loss for what to do with the mud. One member of our group got about 12 stitches above their right eye that day. If you crash there you are a long way from getting ported out. It took us a small miracle and about 2hrs to get our wounded rider out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    My name is Mark. I was in the Germany BOMB when I live there and moved to CO about 2.5yrs ago and joined the group here. If you look in the Black Jack video in the beginning you can see Goertz. I had breakfast with him this morning to work out our ride schedule for the year. Where do you live now and you are always welcome to join us on our trips. Going to GJ/Fruita, Crested Butte, and Moab this year. PM me if you want my personal info.
    I moved to Missouri. Sucks for riding.

I remember you. You guys hit one of the BOMB Gatherings in Moab didn't you?

I am Keith (not California Keith the founder of BOMB though). I was the one that started and organized the BOMB Gatherings in Moab. I have October this year penciled in for a Colorado/Moab trip.

Picture Unrelated

Like evasive said, it's public land and I'm almost certain it's multi use trail. If I were to hike there, I would absolutely start at Hazard and skip the Burro section. On the descent on Hazard you'll need to keep your ears sharp because the traffic moves quick and the scrub can hide lines of sight.

There are some unbelievable hikes in the Moab area that don't involve dangerous bike traffic and I would check out those. Dark Angel in Arches gets you away from nearly all the park traffic, Fisher Towers is a sight to behold, and you can really get away from people down in the Needles district of Canyonlands. So you can hike bike trails (in general) but the trails that are known for hiking are probably much more fun for someone on foot.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Says who?
    The established terminology.

On topic though - among local shorter trails I would nominate Oat Hill mine i Calistoga. I test all my new bikes on it. Long, very techy in few places places, climb, some nice trail there and back, and fast descend with good variety. Great views. I aspire to no-dab the climb, but fail.
    Last edited by Axe; 01-13-2013 at 12:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernVelo View Post
    Regardless of how you define all mountain. I suggest you spend some time in Pisgah National Forest.
    i have a free flight on southwest and have been thinking about going to the east coast to ride since I've never been there, and Pisgah is one of the destination places i'm thinking about. what is the best time of year to ride and are there company's/ bike shops that lead rides? thanks
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Mr. Toads wild ride, Lake Tahoe California

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    i have a free flight on southwest and have been thinking about going to the east coast to ride since I've never been there, and Pisgah is one of the destination places i'm thinking about. what is the best time of year to ride and are there company's/ bike shops that lead rides? thanks
    Mountain Biking in Western North Carolina - MTB WNC

EDR
    Best technical AM trail I've ridden? National, Phx. I've ridden Holy Cross as well. Similar in some ways.

Best overall ride I've done. TWE of course.

Too wet/cold up to the pass in spring, to hot in Moab in summer. Best in Sept-ish/oct depending on if the snows have hit the La Sals yet or not. Last time we went we did it in late Aug. Was great up top, hot at bottom but we survived just fine being from Phx, but man, that natural spring water coming out of the rock by the river NEVER looked so good as it did on that day!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast