Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best AM Trail?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by buck8154 View Post
    Mr. Toads wild ride, Lake Tahoe California
    Yes, but do it as a loop, climbing Armstrong.. No shuttling..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    I moved to Missouri. Sucks for riding.

I remember you. You guys hit one of the BOMB Gatherings in Moab didn't you?

I am Keith (not California Keith the founder of BOMB though). I was the one that started and organized the BOMB Gatherings in Moab. I have October this year penciled in for a Colorado/Moab trip.
    Yeah we came out in 2005. We are headed to Moab 18-22 Sept this year if it would fit with your schedule. We are also trying to do a quick trip to GJ/Fruita and a summer trip to Crested Butte. You are one of the founders. Thats great. PM me if you want more info.

I love AM just to stay on topic. You need to get out to Curt Gowdy. Really fun place.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Man, that's a tough question!

I'd have to say the Downieville Downhill, although the Culvert/Confluence trail in Auburn, and Guardian Trail here in Chico are also some of my favorites. Sunrise->Butcher->Divides is such a good run though, it's hard to beat the diversity of trail surfaces, which is something that I love.

It's hard to beat the convenience of Guardian here in town, and it makes for a perfect end to a 16 mile loop. The beginning is pretty smooth, fast singletrack with great views and a few little hoppers. Around 6:00 into this video it starts to get a little bit more interesting and technical. Boulders, lava cap, bedrock, ruts, etc. It's rideable with some practice but really tough to ride it all top to bottom with no dabs.

Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 01-14-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Mr. Toads wild ride, Lake Tahoe California
    I seriously need to make it up there this year for Toads and TRT among others. I made it up last year to Hole In the Ground, but that was it. What's a good loop that includes Mr Toads around the 20-25 mile range?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I seriously need to make it up there this year for Toads and TRT among others. I made it up last year to Hole In the Ground, but that was it. What's a good loop that includes Mr Toads around the 20-25 mile range?
    Hole In The Ground may be my all time favorite trail to ride again and again. I lived right near it for a while, and I never got tired of it. Mr Toads and sections of the TRT are fantastic as well. God, there are so many amazing trails there, I miss it really bad in the summer.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I thought "all mountain" referred more to the style of bike like a 5 -6 inch travel bike built for some abuse, but I guess many of the trails mentioned are suited to that type of bike so...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I've done Toads 3 different ways. Point to point starting at Stagecoach lift in Heavenly following trt to toads. I think this was 27 miles. Up Armstrong Pass to TRT and Toads. And then one other time we came up the backside, I think on Willow Creek road, and then down Toads. My favorite times were actually the first few times when riding a hardtail.

Nice video of guardian. I miss that trail as well as the rest of Bidwell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I thought the whole point of All Mountain is that you are not supposed to shuttle...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I thought the whole point of All Mountain is that you are not supposed to shuttle...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Dville so far. I will hopefully be riding National in PHX later this week hopefully for a comparison, but there is so much diversity at Dville it is ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Dville so far. I will hopefully be riding National in PHX later this week hopefully for a comparison, but there is so much diversity at Dville it is ridiculous.
    National is a great trail and way more challenging than downieville, but I think downieville is still more fun.

mtbr member
    Well if that's the case, then I'm throwing out Downieville. Maybe some people like to ride up the dirt road to Packer Saddle, but every time I'm there I can't resist getting in two runs.

I guess the Auburn and Chico loops are on my short list then:

Chico: North Rim -> B Trail -> Park Road -> Ten Mile House -> Guardian
    Auburn: Clementine -> Connector -> FHDL -> Culvert -> Confluence

Picture Unrelated
    Disagree. Just because it's not a loop doesn't make it non-AM.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Disagree. Just because it's not a loop doesn't make it non-AM.
    Does not have to be a loop. You can go out and back.

mtbr member
    How are we defining "all mountain" as it pertains to trail classifications? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around which of my trails are AM.

Most of the trails discussed here (Porcupine/TWE, Downieville, etc) are great on an "AM bike," because they have some drops and very rough terrain and are lots of fun on a bike that does well going downhill, but isn't too bad for the few climbs they contain.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Mt. Lemmon in Tucson. Rocky and gnarly, but you find the flow after riding it a couple of times.

Damn i miss Tucson, there are 100s of miles of singletrack that would classify as AM, rocky steep and all around expert terrain up and down, not to mention the short drive to great riding in Phoenix, Prescott, Sedona, and Flagstaff, and the relative lack of trail traffic. I used to be able to ride to TMP/Robles from my house Now I'm just getting nastalgic, too bad the job market there sucks.

Other notable trails:
    Hangover/High on the Hog in Sedona
    Elden area in Flaggstaff
    South Mountain in Phoenix
    Whole Enchilada in Moab
    Noble Canyon outside of San Diego
    Moore Fun and Horsethief in Fruita
    Mt. Lion in Golden

mtbr member
    Alpine trail. Oakridge, OR

mtbr member
    Did atc last year at the August mbo and it was truly epic. Follwed it up with a ride back to camp and a dh run on larison with a demo intense uzzi! Good times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3