Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Best AM Stem Size

I'm thinking of going shorter. Running a 70mm now and don't like the transition from my DH (which is 50mm) back to AM every time I switch bikes. Feels kinda squirrely for a while until I get used to it again, like the old 110mm. Anyone running shorter stems on AM?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Plenty of people do, I use a 50mm one and everyone I know who switched to 50mm has been happy with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    50-70mm is normal. I've ridden with a 50mm for years now. My lower back feels it a bit on the climbs, but it's worth it on the descents.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure the extra 20 mm will make a huge difference, it may just be the steeper head angle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good point, Its probably a combo of both...

mtbr member
    Give it a go. Whatever feels best frankly. 50mm feels great on my current bikes.

mtbr member
    It cant hurt to try it at least. If possible "borrow" the 50mm stem from your DH bike before laying out the cash on the AM bike. Maybe try the DH bikes wider bars (if applicable)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    How do you guys like the 50mm climb? Is it more difficult compared to a longer stem?

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee5 View Post
    How do you guys like the 50mm climb? Is it more difficult compared to a longer stem?
    A longer stem will put your weight forward, but it's just one small piece of the equation that also includes the rise of the stem, bar width and rise, spacers below the stem and for A2C.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I still do some steep climbs with the 50mm stem and don't have any problems keeping the front wheel down. I do have 730mm bars and a coil lyrik up-front thou

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I'm a recent convert to the short and wide set-up. Went from 660/90 to 720/60. Started with a 40mm stem,wasn't bad but a bit tight. Climbing is still good,just a slight adjustment in body position. My fingers and shoulders are taking some licks with the wider bars.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Well stem length is only one out of a multitude of factors that will effect handling.
    But a shorter stem will take a bit more weight off the bars. For inexperienced riders, this can cause the front wheel to slip out a bit more often than what would be considered ideal.

Overall though, I like the feel of a shorter stem (I run 70mm). I think it quickens up the handling a bit, and it makes me feel a bit more confident when descending particularly on the steep stuff.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Paste eater
    I'm a fan of a bigger frame for stability in the chunk and short wide bars. 750mm/45mm I'd go wider if I didn't start to wack stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well I go between a 50mm and a 60mm stem depending on the bars I run. Currently I am happy with a 60mm stem and a 745mm bar combo.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just ordered a 40mm stem with answer pro taper 720 am for my mountain cycle ht

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I put a 50mm Thomson two weeks ago. I used to have an 80mm stem. I'm LOVING the 50mm.

mtbr member
    Im about to order some 760mm bars, I already have a 70mm stem with some 620mm bars.

mtbr member
    got a 50mm stem and 760mm bars on my rig.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    First ride on my Nomad with 750mm bars and 60mm stem on my Nomad. I love it. I sit up straighter and the width slows things down. It's funny how the world of bikes is a balancing act of mm's and oz.'s...

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    I'm not sure the extra 20 mm will make a huge difference, it may just be the steeper head angle.
    huge difference. very noticeable. when I went from 45mm to 35mm stem I could tell quite a bit.
    Not what you think.

My videos

somehow still alive
    I went from a 90mm stem and 680mm bars to a 35mm stem and 780 bars. I absolutely love it.

On fast flowy singletrack it can get so sensitive that it's almost twitchy, but I love it.

I can climb steep without issue I just gotta remember to keep my weight forward on the steep parts.
    Not what you think.

My videos

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarjohn21 View Post
    I'm thinking of going shorter. Running a 70mm now and don't like the transition from my DH (which is 50mm) back to AM every time I switch bikes. Feels kinda squirrely for a while until I get used to it again, like the old 110mm. Anyone running shorter stems on AM?
    Yes, but run wider bars too.
    Shorter stem = twitchier handling
    Longer stem = slower handling

Wide bar = slower handling
    Narrow bar = twitchier handling

So make sure it balances out. For me, 29" bars and 50mm stems seem to be the magic number on all my bikes.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    I love my wide bars, but there's been a few times where the tree squeeze has got me!

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX_fix View Post
    I love my wide bars, but there's been a few times where the tree squeeze has got me!
    There are tight spots, but I have yet to find one that I can't get thru.... just gotta be vigilant about your line (which ideally you should be anyway..)

Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Jus took a spin for the first time on the trails with the 720 AM protapers with the new short stem. It does make a very big difference. The confidence on descending has went up. As for going up it lifts the wheel off the ground a bit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast