Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Update! 820 bars! Even better!
    This is getting ridiculous. Next everyone will be running 1 metre wide bars with 10 mm stems
    Specialized Stumpjumper 2x9 | Kona Explosif Build Project

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post
    This is getting ridiculous. Next everyone will be running 1 metre wide bars with 10 mm stems
    They're not????

My 'wingspan' is more than two metres ... so wide bars are not unusual and
    much more practical than the narrow bars found on many bikes.

My question is what about rise on the stem? better to have none, a little or
    is there a practical limit on that too?

mtbr member
    im using a 60mm stem with 710mm bars, i like it so far
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well I just changed from a 50mm stem with no rise to a 45mm stem with 8 of rise and running 780mm wide bars and a 35mm rise. Feels really good. It is almost the same setup as on DH

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    We're developing a stem for All Mountain / Enduro and after lots of measurements, and questions to customers, we'd say that a 50mm stem with zero rise is the size that would fit 95% of us

OMG!
    50mm seems to be the point where you can transition a xc bike to an am bike. The difference in control and stability is huge. Your climbing will suffer a little, but what you make up for in jumpability and dhability make it a pretty easy choice.

This thread doesn't specifically address it, but I'd combo wide bars with the short stem!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie View Post
    This thread doesn't specifically address it, but I'd combo wide bars with the short stem!
    Of course. shorten the stem reduces reach. Wider bars LENGTHEN reach. Not in a measured way but if your arms are wider, it pulls you forward. It's the best of both worlds. Your not scrunched in the cock pit and your not stretched out over your front tire - which is terrifying for any sort riding worth riding

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This thread has been helpful, I wound up putting 800mm Carbon Enve DH bars on my big bike with a 45 mm stem early this year. I loved that setup so much I bought the same for my AM bike with the intent of trimming them down to 780. Never happened, kept them 800mm and love it. I do have very wide shoulders being 6-3, so might be too wide for some people.

Its like a whole different bike now. Still climbs great and hasn't missed a beat with the change, and the downhill ability is so much better now. I can't believe they made bars so narrow on bikes just a few years ago. The stability and control are worth the few rocks and trees I have to squeeze through on occasion. Plus, I can Bunnyhop about twice as high now with all the extra leverage, making every ride that much more fun! And that's what it's all about anyway.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3