• Intense tracer 2

8 9.20%
  • Yeti sb66

26 29.89%
  • Turner RFX

5 5.75%
    banned

Best am shootout

I am going to built a 6 inch+ all mountain bike this bike will most likely replace my Turner spot money is not an issue but I will build it with sense so no thousand dollar cranks or 2000 dollar wheels. But a light and functioning real long legged beauty
    So here is the choice of frames I would like your opinions

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You forgot the one bike that stomp's your whole list. Enduro

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-ripper View Post
    Ahh dude with all due respect. I don't need a 1 season bike

mtbr member
    I was between the HD an a sb-66. I may have ended up with a yeti but... wanted the 36mm stansion forks and 160mm as my current bike is 150mm with 32mm stansions an is shaky on downhills. I also wanted an all around bike that could do the park from time to time an just thought I would be better off with an HD, so ordered one. plus, yeti carbon frame isn't due out till after december.....
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

banned
    Hd is a great choice
    I am leaning towards the knolly or FXR not sure yet but I will also go 36. Float

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    I was between the HD an a sb-66. I may have ended up with a yeti but... wanted the 36mm stansion forks and 160mm as my current bike is 150mm with 32mm stansions an is shaky on downhills. I also wanted an all around bike that could do the park from time to time an just thought I would be better off with an HD, so ordered one. plus, yeti carbon frame isn't due out till after december.....
    The sb-66 is designed around both 150 and 160 (36 and lyrik) forks.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-ripper View Post
    Agree, go for enduro. Geo and suspension feel are very good!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LeChat View Post
    Agree, go for enduro. Geo and suspension feel are very good!
    I will not purchase any product from specialized not even a pair of gloves, so please do not mention that name

mtbr member
    These threads tend to be useless. All you'll get is people suggesting what they own. No one can say they've owned all the bikes on your list, so how are they supposed to pick the best one? There is no best one. Choose the one YOU want and test ride what you can. Strangers aren't going to do a very good job picking a bike for you.
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What about the SC Carbon Nomad? BTW, buy the bike that fits you best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    voted for the HD, becase i have one (actually i have two, HD160/160, HD140/150)

i like it more everytime i ride it, prety well does exactly what i wanted
    not riden any of the others but did consider, SC Blur LT (too steep/short/tall) SC Nomad
    and
    unfortunalely for you
    Spesh Stump EVO or Spesh Enduro
    had an ;09 Enduro before the HD (or HD's) (and a Pitch before that and a Demo 7 at the same time)
    loved the geo on the Spesh's but the FSR suspension is nothing on the DW link

it's your choice....

I am Specialized
    You should definitely replace the RFX (non-existent bike yet) with the SC Nomad Mk2 (either alu or carbon).
    There is no point in comparing a bike that does not even exist yet. Unless you are referring to old the RFX (judging from the other bikes on your list, I assume not), in which case again the Nomad is a better AM bike.
    Another very good option would be the Pivot Firebird.

banned
    I am very surprised no Foes fans out there ??

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by Artin Aga View Post
    I am very surprised no Foes fans out there ??
    You pretty much seem to be looking at only 2 models: Chilcotin or FXR. If you wanted reviews of those bikes, it's probably going to be easier/more productive for you to be more specific. You're going to have to try to narrow it down. Also, you're getting a lot of "get an HD" replies. If that's not what you want to hear and want more support for the FXR or Knolly, don't be upset if that's not what's happening.

You can see from your replies that people are just tossing out names of bikes you didn't specifically mention (i.e. Enduro, Nomad, Firebird). However you shouldn't be surprised.

I completely agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    These threads tend to be useless. All you'll get is people suggesting what they own. No one can say they've owned all the bikes on your list, so how are they supposed to pick the best one? There is no best one. Choose the one YOU want and test ride what you can. Strangers aren't going to do a very good job picking a bike for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Go demo a frame/bike for gods sake. If you have money to throw down on a 2k+ frame, then you can spend the $60 to demo one...

BTW, the enduro is one hell of a frame. Unless you are a total hack, that frame is gonna be around for a while (havent seen/heard of any broken ones yet). Maybe you should demo one before your preconceptions sway you. DW/VPP is a great suspension design, but a properly set up single pivot can feel just as good. Plus, you'll save a grand in the process.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    These threads tend to be useless. All you'll get is people suggesting what they own. No one can say they've owned all the bikes on your list, so how are they supposed to pick the best one? There is no best one. Choose the one YOU want and test ride what you can. Strangers aren't going to do a very good job picking a bike for you
    Exactly! I've never even had the opportunity to even ride any of them, how could anyone other than a professional reviewer have a clue which is the best bike?

banned
    [QUOTE=ddraewwg;8419420]You pretty much seem to be looking at only 2 models: Chilcotin or FXR. If you wanted reviews of those bikes, it's probably going to be easier/more productive for you to be more specific. You're going to have to try to narrow it down. Also, you're getting a lot of "get an HD" replies. If that's not what you want to hear and want more support for the FXR or Knolly, don't be upset if that's not what's happening.

You can see from your replies that people are just tossing out names of bikes you didn't specifically mention (i.e. Enduro, Nomad, Firebird). However you shouldn't be surprised.

I am not upset nor am I surprised
    I would consider the HD and the Carbon Nomad but the Enduro ?? Not a chance there will never be anything from Specialized in my House. I won a helmet from Specialized, a raffle at some race years ago and I gave it to some kid in ten seconds.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Artin Aga;8419854]
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg View Post
    You pretty much seem to be looking at only 2 models: Chilcotin or FXR. If you wanted reviews of those bikes, it's probably going to be easier/more productive for you to be more specific. You're going to have to try to narrow it down. Also, you're getting a lot of "get an HD" replies. If that's not what you want to hear and want more support for the FXR or Knolly, don't be upset if that's not what's happening.

I am not upset nor am I surprised
    I would consider the HD and the Carbon Nomad but the Enduro ?? Not a chance there will never be anything from Specialized in my House. I won a helmet from Specialized, a raffle at some race years ago and I gave it to some kid in ten seconds.

Why the hate for spesh

I own an enduro and its an incredible bike ,cant see me trading it for some time.

Defo go test ride one if you can.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    Go demo a frame/bike for gods sake. If you have money to throw down on a 2k+ frame, then you can spend the $60 to demo one...

BTW, the enduro is one hell of a frame. Unless you are a total hack, that frame is gonna be around for a while (havent seen/heard of any broken ones yet). Maybe you should demo one before your preconceptions sway you. DW/VPP is a great suspension design, but a properly set up single pivot can feel just as good. Plus, you'll save a grand in the process.
    Ahh I have ridden an Enduro my brother uses it for his guest bike
    He picked it up dirt cheep put some nice parts on it and now friends that want to go ride with us he lends it to them
    I have ridden this frame (2010) I would say at least 50 kM of mixed trails. My 38 lb Knolly DT climbs better turns better handless better then that 32 lb Enduro

Guys I have tested all the bikes exempt for the RFX I know what I like. I just wanted your opinions on my list
    Stop it with Specialized I don't care if it was made of F in Unobtainuim and diamonds I will never by one , It's personal.

meow meow
    did spec murder your parents or something? also get rid of the rfx, it doesnt even exist.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    did spec murder your parents or something? also get rid of the rfx, it doesnt even exist.
    No spec did not kill my parents But Trek killed my favorite bike company. Klein. But that is another debate
    As for the RFX well can't change that now so play along

banned
    I did take a good look at a mojo hd today. I must say it looks impressive I think I am going to demo one this weekend

ZEN RIDER!
    Pivot 5.7 or the Firebird
    Life in every breath

meow meow
    so you misplace your anger at trek on specialized? logical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightofthefleming View Post
    The sb-66 is designed around both 150 and 160 (36 and lyrik) forks.
    Voted Mojo HD because I have one and love it every time I get on. I'm sure the yeti is awesome too and wouldn't be disappointing in the least. On the suspension subject though you can swap the rear shock and chips to make it 140mm rear. The bike is designed to run anywhere from 140mm-180mm fork amazingly.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    so you misplace your anger at trek on specialized? logical.
    No anger dude I could not care less I am just not interested In Trek spec or giant

mtbr member

Guys I have tested all the bikes exempt for the RFX I know what I like. I just wanted your opinions on my list
    Stop it with Specialized I don't care if it was made of F in Unobtainuim and diamonds I will never by one , It's personal.
    You've ridden the new Chilcotin?
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

banned
    I have my Answer FOES gets MY business

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have my Answer FOES gets MY business
    The only bike that got zero recommendations in this thread or on the poll? Glad to see this thread proved useful anyway.

Have you considered a Specialized?

mtbr member
    No covert? Fun bike. Where's the slash opps thats from Klein slayers. What about an uzzi with an air shock? I demo'ed a nomad one day I enjoyed the covert I rode more. I would go for the knolly, but I've never rode one, owned one or been owned by one. The chilcotin has been entered into the spank bank for sure.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    foes?! it looks like a Spesh!

just kidding...Foes would be really cool to try. does it come with their curnutt air set-up or are you gonna run a different coil shock? who cares if it got zero votes here cuz less than zero have probably ridden it. more than a few great ways down the mountain these days!

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Hey Alright ! I hate Specialized too !

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    There's some serious BS right there. A few posts later, you mention you've only just now seen a Mojo in the shop.

I've been down this same road. All of the bikes these days are really good bikes. Asking people for help as to which bike you like is like asking them what your favorite food will be. It's completely pointless. You need to get on as many bikes as possible, and pick the one you liked the best. Be careful when it comes to suspension setup (rebound, air pressure, etc.), as that will make a difference as to whether or not you like the suspension. Try to make sure they're all set up the same way, or at least similarly.

I spent about 9 days trying about 18 different bikes. Granted, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go 29er or not, so you'll definitely have a lot less to try out. All of the bikes rode really well, and the only turds were the ones that didn't fit me well. No one would have been able to tell me what bike fit me and what bike didn't, so forum advice would have been pointless. This will be exactly the same for you.

Out of the thousands of dollars you're going to spend, set aside about $300 just to demo bikes. That way, you walk out of a store with the bike you REALLY wanted, rather than a bike you THOUGHT you wanted. No second guessing that way. There is no easy answer, you have to get on the bikes.

Oh, and buy a SC Nomad. It fit me better than any other bike I tried, so it must be the best bike for you.

banned

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
    The only bike that got zero recommendations in this thread or on the poll? Glad to see this thread proved useful anyway.

Have you considered a Specialized?
    Oh yes I considered a specialized Last night about 3 am in the morning. Then I woke up in a sweat and screeeeeeemed FOES

You Twit I F...ing Hate Specialized I have never ever in my life even gave a flying F about Specialized .... From the year I started riding MTB Back in 87 I have owned about 20 MTBs

Kona , Cannonade ,Klein, Yeti, Trek, Foes, Intense, Knolly, Turner, Titus , Ellsworth, Dekerf Rocky mountain, Brodie, But never a Specialized.
    Oh wait a minute I bought a Specialized road bike rom a Content sale this summer for 550 dollars sold it in 2 days for 1200 dollars. All along I kept it away from my other bikes so they don't get contaminated

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post

just kidding...Foes would be really cool to try. does it come with their curnutt air set-up or are you gonna run a different coil shock? who cares if it got zero votes here cuz less than zero have probably ridden it. more than a few great ways down the mountain these days!
    Curnutt air is the way I will go probably black Anno May consider Raw

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post

I always knew it was a toss between Foes and Knolly I just wanted to see what the rest of them thought. Do you think I pay any attention to any of these guys lol
    Every once in a while I get bored so I stir the pot and see what cooks. I have been doing this way too long I know what I like and where to spend my cash.

Foes is quality the ride is incredible The Curnutt air if amassing I had an 2005 model of the FXR and till today I miss that bike. and the Fact that it is Made in USA is a big bonus.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    There's some serious BS right there. A few posts later, you mention you've only just now seen a Mojo in the shop.

I've been down this same road. All of the bikes these days are really good bikes. Asking people for help as to which bike you like is like asking them what your favorite food will be. It's completely pointless. You need to get on as many bikes as possible, and pick the one you liked the best. Be careful when it comes to suspension setup (rebound, air pressure, etc.), as that will make a difference as to whether or not you like the suspension. Try to make sure they're all set up the same way, or at least similarly.

I spent about 9 days trying about 18 different bikes. Granted, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go 29er or not, so you'll definitely have a lot less to try out. All of the bikes rode really well, and the only turds were the ones that didn't fit me well. No one would have been able to tell me what bike fit me and what bike didn't, so forum advice would have been pointless. This will be exactly the same for you.

Out of the thousands of dollars you're going to spend, set aside about $300 just to demo bikes. That way, you walk out of a store with the bike you REALLY wanted, rather than a bike you THOUGHT you wanted. No second guessing that way. There is no easy answer, you have to get on the bikes.

Oh, and buy a SC Nomad. It fit me better than any other bike I tried, so it must be the best bike for you.

+1, why did the op even bother starting this thread. he appears to have alot of experience from his 20 different bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Oh yes I considered a specialized Last night about 3 am in the morning. Then I woke up in a sweat and screeeeeeemed FOES

You Twit I F...ing Hate Specialized I have never ever in my life even gave a flying F about Specialized .... From the year I started riding MTB Back in 87 I have owned about 20 MTBs

Kona , Cannonade ,Klein, Yeti, Trek, Foes, Intense, Knolly, Turner, Titus , Ellsworth, Dekerf Rocky mountain, Brodie, But never a Specialized.
    Oh wait a minute I bought a Specialized road bike rom a Content sale this summer for 550 dollars sold it in 2 days for 1200 dollars. All along I kept it away from my other bikes so they don't get contaminated
    ever hear of Ventana? since you're considering bikes that don't exist, i.e. the RFX & Chillcotin, why not think about another nonexisting one, the soon to exist Ventana El Terremoto? it's right in your category. considerably cheaper than Foes
    breezy shade

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    ever hear of Ventana? since you're considering bikes that don't exist, i.e. the RFX & Chillcotin, why not think about another nonexisting one, the soon to exist Ventana El Terremoto? it's right in your category. considerably cheaper than Foes
    Why are you considering selling me yours ?
    If I wanted to ride a Foe Bar I would buy a Kona why pay more for crap

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

"not a chance"

"you lost me completely here. don't call me, i'll call you"
    breezy shade

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Have you considered Specialized? I hear they make good bikes.

P

Founder: Dirty3hirties

OMG. You DO realize that the Foes you decided to buy is a single pivot. Kona is a faux (not foe) 4-bar which is a single pivot. Seriously, you shouldn't make such claims against Ventana when you have not ridden one. Really irritating to most people. Are you really surprised for the amount of heat you're taking on this thread?

You bash one company for it's suspension technology but don't for another using the same tech! There are so many iterations of faux bars using a rocker because it allows them to custom tune the leverage ratio. Foes chooses not to do so, rather they use the shock to (2:1) control the leverage.

You either don't realize this contradiction or are just making up reasons to hate/like a particular company.

BTW: I have nothing against Foes. The FXR looks sweet. I am skeptical about a faux bar to be honest but I don't go around bashing other bikes.

mtbr member
    The Yeti & Knolly really interests me, like the GEO #'s on both. The SB66 is more of a AM/Trail vs pure AM. I have to say it's nice to read a thread that's not about the same bikes manufactures over and over again. I would throw the ASR7 in there too. These threads maybe pointless,but unlike most threads almost every frame on this list you'd have to KNOW how to fit, spec and, build bike based of the #'s and have some understanding what's going to give you a certain ride characteristic because these are not a cookie cut bike found in every LBS that you can go pedal around the parking lot.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    The Yeti & Knolly really interests me, like the GEO #'s on both. The SB66 is more of a AM/Trail vs pure AM. I have to say it's nice to read a thread that's not about the same bikes manufactures over and over again. I would throw the ASR7 in there too. These threads maybe pointless,but unlike most threads almost every frame on this list you'd have to KNOW how to fit, spec and, build bike based of the #'s and have some understanding what's going to give you a certain ride characteristic because these are not a cookie cut bike found in every LBS that you can go pedal around the parking lot.
    Ahh the force is strong with you master Vader. Spoken like a man who truly understands a bike
    I was a huge Yeti Fan and yes the numbers on the 66 do look good on paper. The Yeti might be a great Am bike if built right. I choose the foes for a few reasons... Some how I don't know why they make an incredible ride quality out of a single pivot design..I dont know if its the Curnutt shock or the what it just seems butter smooth when going fast in the chop..
    now that said so do many other designs VPP DW and the good old H link but.
    not the Yeti 575 this is where it fell short. Now when it comes to rear tri stiffness.Well the foes is a few steps on the rest. we are talking rail a corner at any speed stiffness.
    Climbing the Foes just seems to get up and over the ruts and logs on the steeps. Much like a DW or a Yeti 575 . and this is where the VPP and the H L can sometimes lag.
    And as far as standing up and pouncing well it feels like you are on a hard tail no loss in your pedal stroke . This is Foes FXR buttery smooth but Not squishy. you either Hate em or you love em but they are sure a high quality ride and Brent Foes is a realy Nice guy .

Trophy Husband
    This is Foes FXR...Not squishy. you either Hate em or you love em.
    You got that right. Worst bike I ever rode was a Curnutt suspended Foes Fly. Ugh. My buddy loved it though.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover View Post
    You got that right. Worst bike I ever rode was a Curnutt suspended Foes Fly. Ugh. My buddy loved it though.

Different strokes for different folks.
    I must be in the "hate" camp too. I've ridden a couple Foes at I-bike and didn't like the way they rode at all. I always figured it was a setup or gummed up shock problem because otherwise they looked the bomb.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com