Best AM grips?

Printable View

• 06-29-2011
    juancho142
    Best AM grips?
    IŽd like to get some new grips soon, what do you guys think of these ones?

Answer Fall Line DH

http://cgi.ebay.com/Answer-Fall-Line...#ht_1572wt_932
  • 06-29-2011
    tim_fsr
    ERgon GA1
    Got a pair in the spring, been riding for about 3 months now. Love them! much more comfortable than my old Oury and ODI. It took 2 rides of thinking with the position to get it right, but they provide a better grip feeling and more sense of control. Well worth the money.
  • 06-29-2011
    b-kul
    i like thin grips, i use sram lock ons, what you have pictured is thin too. decide if you want thick or thin or ergo and buy accordingly.
  • 06-29-2011
    Haus Boss
    Just curious, what constitutes an AM Grip for you?

Personally, I like a grip that has a larger diameter than normal. Lizard Skin North Shore grips are great if you don't like the pencil grip feeling that some other grips have.
  • 06-29-2011
    Pau11y
    Oury Lock-ons
    Best grip for AM, DH, or just yanking on your pud :D
  • 06-29-2011
    fotu
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Just curious, what constitutes an AM Grip for you?

Personally, I like a grip that has a larger diameter than normal. Lizard Skin North Shore grips are great if you don't like the pencil grip feeling that some other grips have.

An all mountain grip is a little more flickable than an xc grip, but lets you climb much better than a free ride grip.

Basically, it is a grip for a beginner that has enough money to buy a bougie full suspension bike to compensate for a lack of skill/experience. Kind of like a dirt oriented Fred grip. They use grips like this all over the West Coast. Duthie Hill here in the Seattle area is a great place to use a AM grip, and you see them on lots of AM bikes on bootcamp.
  • 06-29-2011
    morandi
    The Renthal Kevlar grips are amazing, unfortunately they are not yet available in a lockon version.
  • 06-29-2011
    Haus Boss
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fotu View Post
    An all mountain grip is a little more flickable than an xc grip, but lets you climb much better than a free ride grip.

Basically, it is a grip for a beginner that has enough money to buy a bougie full suspension bike to compensate for a lack of skill/experience. Kind of like a dirt oriented Fred grip. They use grips like this all over the West Coast. Duthie Hill here in the Seattle area is a great place to use a AM grip, and you see them on lots of AM bikes on bootcamp.

Clearly my North shore grips are freeride grips- that's obviously what's been slowing me down on the uphills!
  • 06-29-2011
    CCPHammer
    Looks flexy.
  • 06-29-2011
    socalMX
    Mine are the Odi Rogue lock ons!I have a real large hand and like the diameter!!!
  • 06-29-2011
    oh-really
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Best grip for AM, DH, or just yanking on your pud :D

:lol:
  • 06-29-2011
    washingtonripper13
    sette type s are my favorite

Niko
  • 06-29-2011
    mtn.skratch
    I have the ODI X-Tremes on my AM and DH. They hold kinda thin like the Ruffian's, but have the raised elongated sections that let you grip securely without "death-gripping."
  • 06-29-2011
    VTSession
    just get lock on grips. you wont give a **** after the first ride on them.
  • 06-29-2011
    eluv
    Oury Lock-ons. Best grip ever!
  • 06-29-2011
    gunt pimp
    odi rogue
  • 06-29-2011
    iamkaioken
    661 twisted waffle, bummed that they don't make them in gray anymore!
  • 06-29-2011
    mimi1885
    Quote:

Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i like thin grips, i use sram lock ons, what you have pictured is thin too. decide if you want thick or thin or ergo and buy accordingly.

+1 I like thin grip too. I'd go for ODI Ruffian or Ruffian MX, mid size thickness would be Rogue.:thumbsup:
  • 06-30-2011
    jb2011
    +1 for ODI ROGUE...awesome
  • 06-30-2011
    jlkvt
    I love my Spesh Enduro XL lock ons:)
  • 06-30-2011
    Daemon[CRO]
    Lizard Skins Northshore.

Because real men have big hands and need chunky grips. All you girls with small thin grips... pschhhhhhh....

• 06-30-2011
    Steve.E
    'All mountain grip'.

Whatever next ROFL :D
  • 07-09-2011
    poopijim
    grips
    Best grips i have ever owend are Yeti lock on grips...check Yeti brand
  • 07-09-2011
    mimi1885
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poopijim View Post
    Best grips i have ever owend are Yeti lock on grips...check Yeti brand

You mean ODI:D
  • 07-09-2011
    Grno
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    just get lock on grips. you wont give a **** after the first ride on them.

best reply right here. i dont know about other riders out there but once im riding I dont think about the grips that are on my bike and if im riding with gloves on i really cant tell if the grips are good or bad.
  • 07-09-2011
    dwnhlldav
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO] View Post
    Lizard Skins Northshore.

Because real men have big hands and need chunky grips. All you girls with small thin grips... pschhhhhhh....

I can count on one hand the number of people I've met with larger hands then mine. I still prefer a smaller diameter grip (maybe it's because I like to mix things up... since my pud is so large :D ).

I have ODI Ruffians on two bikes and have been riding them for as far back as I can remember. I think I got my first pair in 2001 or 2002.

ETA: But they aren't exclusively AM.:rolleyes: I've had them on my XC, SS and DH bikes as well.:eekster:
  • 07-09-2011
    Luigiugueto
    Love ODI ruffians.. on everything. Tried Sunline Half Waffles were cool, but not as durable..
  • 07-09-2011
    dhbomber
    ODI X-trainers....Enough Said...

• 07-10-2011
    jaycee74
    I just order some Odi Rouge grips
  • 07-10-2011
    LoneReaction
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycee74 View Post
    I just order some Odi Rouge grips

These things feel like they are going to tear my gloves off, I swear! :eekster:
  • 07-11-2011
    Daemon[CRO]
    The problem with small grips (thin) is that I regulary managed to get the tips of my gloves (I always wear full gloves, not fingerless) stuck under my palm while gripping the grip. I was in a few situations where I could not extend my index finger to brake lever because of this.

Large grips are a MUST if you have gloves + big hands :)
  • 07-12-2011
    dwnhlldav
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO] View Post
    The problem with small grips (thin) is that I regulary managed to get the tips of my gloves (I always wear full gloves, not fingerless) stuck under my palm while gripping the grip. I was in a few situations where I could not extend my index finger to brake lever because of this.

Large grips are a MUST if you have gloves + big hands :)

:confused: Maybe you're gloves are too big, there shouldn't be enough material at the end to get them stuck under your palm.

Big hands+gloves+small grips and I've never had this problem.
  • 07-12-2011
    afiqikhwan
    using Pro Atherton grips.
    nice and light.
  • 07-12-2011
    Daemon[CRO]
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dwnhlldav View Post
    :confused: Maybe you're gloves are too big, there shouldn't be enough material at the end to get them stuck under your palm.

Big hands+gloves+small grips and I've never had this problem.

There isn't normally, but I manage to pull them off a little bit, enough so they get snagged between palm and grip.

No serious damage occurred :)
  • 07-12-2011
    eauxgod
    oops
  • 07-12-2011
    eauxgod
    ODI Rogue ATV
    Rogue ATVs with a half flange. Still just 130mm long too.

• 07-12-2011
    lew242
    Lizard Skins Peaty Lock-ons are very good. Don't care about width so much as grippiness, love grips that I would be comfortable using down a bumpy trail with sweaty hands and no gloves.
  • 07-12-2011
    boomn
    Along the lines of big grips, I am very impressed with the Bontrager Race Lite-T lockons I picked up recently. They have a pretty good feel and a subtly larger diameter in the middle to match the shape of the palm. So far I like them a lot, though I'm not sure yet how I would rank them against other grips. Only time will tell
  • 07-12-2011
    dewtour2k10
    pssssht. AM grips. what a joke. real AM riders go gripless. nothing better than cold hard steel on those technical desents.

just kidding. i like the grips that came stock on my diamondback. nice, wide, grippy, sexy, and durable (so far). if only they were lock ons.

• 07-13-2011
    arne_and
    ESI silicone grips are great! They are not lock on, but when mounted with hairspray I have never had one come loose. They are grippy, comfy, and light.
  • 12-29-2012
    cfrench
    Quote:

Originally Posted by arne_and View Post
    ESI silicone grips are great! They are not lock on, but when mounted with hairspray I have never had one come loose. They are grippy, comfy, and light.

i usually mount those with hairspray too.
  • 12-29-2012
    chef7734
    Love my odi rogue grips.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
  • 12-29-2012
    11highlights
    +1 for ESI takes out all the little vibrations so i dont need gloves.
  • 12-29-2012
    Hikers Only
    I like the ESI but they just do not last long for me. I have been loving just the basic good old Oury rubber grips. Mounted up using an air compressor they have not budged, plus they are super comfy, cost $7 on ebay and come in great colours!
  • 12-29-2012
    djball
    +2 Lizard Skin Peaty's. I've tried them all... These look great, last a long time, and just feel awesome! Inside and ends are slightly higher to keep your hand in place too.
  • 12-29-2012
    Helmetless
    Odi x trainers here, they fit nicely
  • 12-29-2012
    pastajet
    Love the Ergon GA1 grips
  • 12-30-2012
    graypaw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by juancho142 View Post
    IŽd like to get some new grips soon, what do you guys think of these ones?

Answer Fall Line DH

I got a pair this year but for my hand size , 11 gloves, they are small and I bought a Race Face, more diameter and more confortables.
  • 12-30-2012
    smithrider
    I have liked every grip I have tried except the GA1's. The premise of the grip is there is a bump on them that settles in the middle of your hand to fill the natural indention in one's hand. Problem is, the bump is on the inner part of the grip and I grip wide. If you don't grip in the right spot, it is counterproductive as now the bump sits right on your thumbs which can be uncomfortable. I found myself gripping to narrow to conform to the grip and thinking about where I placed my hand.

Peaty's and Ruffians are my current two favorites, but almost all grips are good.
  • 12-30-2012
    NH Mtbiker
    Also run ESI Chunky's...a little bit more pad then the Racer's Edge and come in any color!
    They also have Extra Chunky now, but they are all MTB grips...:thumbsup:

MTB Grips