BS2
    Jun 2006

Best AM 6" Fork & Rear Shock Suggestions

Looking to upgrade from my Psylo SL U-Turn fork & Vanilla R Coil rear shock.

I'm a Clyde riding a Mountain Cycle San Andreas DHR.

Love to ride technical\advanced ups & downs*. I do spend a lot of time climbing so lighter is great, but bombing DH is where the true passion lies.

Have been looking @ the following forks:

manitou Nixon Platinum or Super
    Marzoch All Mountain
    RS Pike

Also looking @ the following rear shocks:

Swinger 3-Way Air
    RS Pearl 3.1

Any advice\suggestions would be appreciated as well as a place to score a good deal!

squish is good
    I've got an '05 Reign 2 with a Swinger 3-way on the rear, I weigh only 175 but I'm running super low pressure in the main chamber and very low in the SPV. I'm very impressed by the range of the shock, it can be run way stiff for my weight and the only way I've gotten good response is to run about 40% of my weight in the SPV chamber. While I was initially dissapointed by the lack of lockout and other subsequent adjustment, the shock has impressed me because of its tunability and set-and-forget style of adjustment. I recommend it if you don't like messing with stuff once its dialed in, but I like tuning so I'd probably go with a shock that has easier on-the-fly adjustment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Go AM1

Great performance, adjustability and down right fun to ride with in my experience.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    You'll be hard pressed to beat the Pike esp. if you're into bombing DH's. The maxle makes 'em stiff, they're mega adjustable and well prices compared to the competition. Drop a line to larry @ mtnhighcyclery.com for good prices.
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

ZEN RIDER!
    I'd consider a Fox 36 front if you are going a little more extreme
    and the DHX for the rear.
    I like my AM1 for its adjustibility & versatility.
    I'd take a look at what type of riding you plan on doing most & go from there.
    Life in every breath

TNC
    noMAD man
    On the rear shock with a preference for "bombing DH", you'll do better getting one of the piggyback models that have more bottomout tuning options. In higher speed, technical situations, that bottomout tuning capability is extremely worthwhile.

For your bike with your stated preference, I'd go with a Van 36 or Marz 66SL...or look forward to one of the newer RS models coming out that has larger stanchions.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by frizzle-fry
    Great performance, adjustability and down right fun to ride with in my experience.
    the AM1 is a great fork for sure. If you want a through axle, it unfortunately won't work (maybe as a clyde, you might find the ta a real benefit in terms of stiffness). I run a 6" Z150 FR SL and it feels beautiful. I don't care for the on trail adjustability as much as I did with my AM1 but it works great, is very solid, stiff, and smooth, and the x/- air allows me to setup it up at home so there is not much need to mess with it on trail.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Oh, So Interesting!
    I just put an '06 Boxxer Ride on my Giant AC, which used to have a Psylo SL. It has a 5th element coil rear shock. I'm extremely happy with my choice, the Ride has a short axle to crown, so I can still climb really well. The front end tracks much better uphills (extra 3 lbs... ), I'd say it climbs as well as the Psylo did at 4" of travel... Dh is amazing, the Psylo was no match for the 5th element and 6" of travel. The bike now feels much more balanced, is WAY more capable, and inspires tons of confidence. I can't believe how much the Psylo was killing my dh performance. With the Ride at 178mm, and the seat lowered, its a whole new bike...

As far as geometry, I believe the Boxxer is a fraction of an inch lower (a to c) at 133mm than the Psylo at full extension... The Marz forx are way taller and no on-the-fly travel adjustments on the 66sl...

I was considering the Pike, but I'm 190 - 200 lbs w/o gear, and wanted something I can use for Resorts/Shuttles as well. I can now go fast enough to need armor...

Also, theres price... I found my Ride for $400 on ebay... deals should be available. MAKE SURE YOU GET AN '06!!!

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    the AM1 is a great fork for sure. If you want a through axle, it unfortunately won't work
    Rumor is that AM 07 models will have thru axle...
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Farqui
    The maxle makes 'em stiff, they're mega adjustable and well prices compared to the competition. Drop a line to larry @ mtnhighcyclery.com for good prices.
    Does anyone know where you can buy a maxle or other quick release 20mm thru axle? Also will they work with my fox Van 36? Thanks