mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Best AM 29'er under $3,000

Did some research but everything seems somewhat outdated/slightly different so I figured I'd post what I'm looking for and see if I receive any constructive feedback.

I'm in the market for a all-mountain, full suspension, 29er... hoping to spend $3,000 or less. Basically riding single/double track, technical terrain, quick downhill descents, 3-5 foot drops/jumps and open to really anything. Just got back into biking 8 months ago and currently rocking a 2013 Specialized Rockhopper 29er and need to upgrade before I continue to beat this bike into the ground. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    With a little negotiation - guessing you can get the 2013 Kona Satori for a shade under $3000 USD

Its burly and set the bar before the new Speshy hit the market for a long travel trail/am capable 29er

Never rode one but Transition Bandit - very similar - now they have the Covert - not sure you'd necessarily find it for the price you wish to pay

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I continue to be impressed by my Trek Rumblefish. Going into my second season with it. I have the base model, but I bet you could get the elite or pro for under $3k. It takes a little getting used (smart use of pro pedal and or get your weight waaay forward to compress the fork) to for climbing since it is so plush, but it will absolutely allow you to haul safely on descents and hammer rock gardens. For such a burly bike, its pretty nimble too. Again, it took me some time to figure it out, but now I am loving it. My other bike is a salsa spearfish 2. I usually grab the Rfish for anything expected to be rough or fast descending, or just shorter where the weight difference doesn't matter so much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    if youre paying cash, plunk the 3k in front of your lbs and say you want a spec 29 er enduro. theyll make it happen

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Best AM 29'er under $3,000

Stump jumper FSR Comp would fit the bill too

Climbs = necessary evil
    Consider the Niner RIP9 1-star build (RIP 9) for $2999.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for all of the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    if youre paying cash, plunk the 3k in front of your lbs and say you want a spec 29 er enduro. theyll make it happen
    Do you think so? It's listed at $3,500 and all LBS I've been to seem pretty stiff on their prices.

Stump jumper FSR Comp would fit the bill too
    Will that be able to withstand 3-6 foot drops though? From what I've heard, it's not meant for hitting jumps... It's what I originally considered though

Also... what's the difference between say Specialized/Trek and some of the less commcerialized brands such as Kona/Niner/Transition?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My experience with trek vs salsa was that trek came with better/more complete suspension setup info and a few little things like a chain stay guard. My guess is warranty issues would be easier to deal with too. Also, you will probably have a better chance of finding a leftover year model that is heavily discounted with the major brands. The smaller brands MAY get you better spec parts for the money or in theory a more pure design that isn't as compromised by what will sell the most units.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chezowan View Post
    Will that be able to withstand 3-6 foot drops though? From what I've heard, it's not meant for hitting jumps... It's what I originally considered though
    I'm hitting 3-4 foot drops on mine every weekend no problem. If you're routinely going bigger then the Stumpy evo is a probably a better bet. The main issue is the fork gets overwhelmed a bit on big hits.

mtbr member

Re: Best AM 29'er under $3,000

The DAM Tallboy LT kit is under 3k....the RAM is just over your 3k mark

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chezowan View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies!

Do you think so? It's listed at $3,500 and all LBS I've been to seem pretty stiff on their prices.

Also... what's the difference between say Specialized/Trek and some of the less commcerialized brands such as Kona/Niner/Transition?

Notice that he said "if youre paying cash".
    LBS save big on the credit card company % cut.
    youll be surprised when you say ill give you 3 grand, cash and their ears perk up and their eyes light up.

Cash talks my friend.