mtbr member
    Dec 2008

best all mountain wheels?

hi. heres the deal. ive got some bontrager rhythmlite tubeless rims with dt hubs. their good and i like them but they starting to get dinged up and im looking aroundfor some new wheels. i think ill probably keep the hubs, but what do you guys think are the best all mountain wheels? i have looked at the azonic outlaws but i think those might be a little overkill. also checked stans-no-tubes and dt E2200. i liked the dts but they are a little out of my price range. im a college student. i dont have lots of money. what do you think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    p.s. i realize their may already be a thread about this but i didnt see it. and then again i didnt look very hard

wuss
    The search function makes it easier to look for past topics...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by suspensionisbetter
    hi. heres the deal. ive got some bontrager rhythmlite tubeless rims with dt hubs. their good and i like them but they starting to get dinged up and im looking aroundfor some new wheels. i think ill probably keep the hubs, but what do you guys think are the best all mountain wheels? i have looked at the azonic outlaws but i think those might be a little overkill. also checked stans-no-tubes and dt E2200. i liked the dts but they are a little out of my price range. im a college student. i dont have lots of money. what do you think?
    The cheapest solution would be getting new rhytm rims and using your old hubs AND spokes. If getting any other rims you might get lucky and be able to use spokes, but probably not. (You can check DT spoke calculator to see if it's possible to keep the spokes using other rims)

The number of holes might also be an issue if you don't want rythm as I recall something about Bontrager always using 28 holes rims/hubs? Might not be able to find the particular rim you want in 28-hole-version..

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    yeah your right, about the twenty eight hole thing. ok so rims aside. whats your preference for budget all mountain wheels

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I've heard good things about the new Shimano XT wheels being pretty strong. I don't know if they'd be in your budget, but I'm pretty sure they're cheaper than the DT's. Probably going to become my wheelset for Super-D racing.

I'm running DT FR440 hubs laced to Sun Singletrack rims and I've had great luck with the rims. I raced all last season, Super-D and DH on them and never once trued them or really even worried about them. You might look for a set of Singletracks laced to a good hub, or any of the stuff in the Sun line-up. They're usually fairly inexpensive and usually decent wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    28 hole Mavic 819 might be an alternative if you want to keep the hubs..?

If on a budget I would probably pick XT hubs or Hope Pro II myself. XT wheelset like suggested would be a good alternative. Rims for custom build? Mavic 819, Mavic 719, DT 5.1, Notubes Flow, Spank Subrosa, Sun Singletrack(...)

rides with camera
    I have mavic crossride and they seem very durable.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

ride hard take risks
    Sun Ringle make some of the best wheel around, solid hubs and tough rims all tied together with Wheelsmith spokes.

http://www.spadout.com/store.php?stp...05&stvc_id=162

https://www.bti-usa.com/public/manufacturer/SU/WH
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidity
    The cheapest solution would be getting new rhytm rims and using your old hubs AND spokes.
    I wouldn't recomend re-using spokes... it's not worth the time. The do stretch and rebuilding a wheel with old spokes will prove to be a false economy in the long term.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I Have had good luck with Dt swiss 5.1 rims with Dt 340 hubs. You can get them built at chain reaction cycles for a decent price

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    what about the outlaws?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Depends on how you ride and how heavy you are.
    Last edited by C. Alshus; 03-27-2009 at 06:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Are the 819s an accepted AM rim ? I am 165 with gear so while not heavy I do alot of drops and plenty of quite rough technical riding while doing a lot of climbing. Thinking of getting some 819s with Hope thru axle for the Canfield One i am planning on building soon.

Knolliac

on a budget

well you really can't beat this.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...x?ModelID=7599

hope pro II's laced to your rim of choice, most options under $350.

i have had great success with hope hubs. the rear is lacking engagement BUT very high quality and easy to service.