Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    dft
    mtbr member

best all mountain bike that is somewhat slack in the HA

i wanted to get peoples thoughts about an all mountian bike that still is fairly slack so its good and comfortable riding the steeps. i have a heavy freeride bike (stinky, 40 pounder) and looking for a 30-33 lb bike for long climbs(5000 feet), but that is still kinda slack so it can handle the steeps. (ideal is just use an adjustable fork, mash down for long climbs). also a non-interupted seat tube is a must.

i'm liking the giant reign with 150-160mm fork so HA would be around 67 or so. what other bikes might fit this bill.
    thanks
    Last edited by dft; 10-17-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Dirt Deviant
    I'd take a serious look at the upcoming 2009 GT Sanction. Preferably the 1.0 model.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Scott Ransom but they tis be pricy, 2nd the GT Sanction
    Keep on Ridin

how heavy are you ??
    5Spot with a 160 MM fork that will about 67.5 at the steepest and DURABLE to boot! I promise you that you won't be disappointed! And from what I hear they are on sale to boot! Pull the trigger. :P
    Scottay
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    konas are slack as hell. my girlfriends 100mm xc kikapu is 68.5. i think the coiler/airs are around 66.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Turner RFX and Specialized SX Trail are both capable of big hits and still decently light with the right builds.

mtbr member
    Canfield One

Mine as pictures is at 31.5 lbs with pedals...

mtbr member
    DFT I too had a 40lb stinky as my only bike, recently I picked up this

New AM ride

Its a great bike. Climbs well, bombs the downs with ease and is about 33 lbs as my build. Its improved my trail riding and the fun factor.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My Terremoto has 67.5* HA.

Shred all that can be
    Bra, we might as well be brothers, I'm coming from the DH side of things too (my reason for a less extreme aspect being that I smacked my head on a rock) I've done a SH*TLOAD of research and like the first poster stated your best bet is the sanction, Its got a 66 degree HA which is, Im sure, enough to suit your fancy. second the bike, even the 1.0 with all the new "Heavy" Saint Sh*t on there is still only gonna be like 34-35 lbs The bike is built solid, GT was actually thinking about puting the Sanction in a FR category on thier website for a while but decided (because of only 6" in the rear) not too. I work at a LBS and we deal with Cannondale, Giant, and GT primarily, and the rep. has told us they are really trying to get back to the top of the industry, these bikes primarily the sanction and the new Fury he said were quite possibly two of the best bikes they have put on the market in decades. and as a last "selling point" if you will the bike looks pretty sick, with the top tube looking that bold it's like one of the new mustangs, just without the whole 400 horse power thing. And with the "stack of dimes" welds clearly shown at the top tube, they didn't just forget to sand them down, no they did this on purpose to let the consumer know that even though it may not be built in the U.S. of A (<--- over rated btw, and yes I'm a citizen) it's still a quality product, just as our rep has told us.
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    I've done a SH*TLOAD of research and like the first poster stated your best bet is the sanction, Its got a 66 degree HA ....I work at a LBS and we deal with Cannondale, Giant,
    At least he burried the disclaimer in there!

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    Turner RFX and Specialized SX Trail are both capable of big hits and still decently light with the right builds.
    sorry but tuners are anything but slack (dave turner has a more xc background), RFX= too heavy for the bike i'm looking at. (my friend uses his rfx as a burly bike at about 39 pounds)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    sorry but tuners are anything but slack (dave turner has a more xc background), RFX= too heavy for the bike i'm looking at. (my friend uses his rfx as a burly bike at about 39 pounds)
    RFX is a sweet bike and I have seen several on here built reasonably light at 31lbs (and several in the 20s). I don't ride one, but 3 in my group do...trust me, they handle the steeps just fine.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Bra, we might as well be brothers, I'm coming from the DH side of things too (my reason for a less extreme aspect being that I smacked my head on a rock) I've done a SH*TLOAD of research and like the first poster stated your best bet is the sanction, Its got a 66 degree HA which is, Im sure, enough to suit your fancy. second the bike, even the 1.0 with all the new "Heavy" Saint Sh*t on there is still only gonna be like 34-35 lbs The bike is built solid, GT was actually thinking about puting the Sanction in a FR category on thier website for a while but decided (because of only 6" in the rear) not too. I work at a LBS and we deal with Cannondale, Giant, and GT primarily, and the rep. has told us they are really trying to get back to the top of the industry, these bikes primarily the sanction and the new Fury he said were quite possibly two of the best bikes they have put on the market in decades. and as a last "selling point" if you will the bike looks pretty sick, with the top tube looking that bold it's like one of the new mustangs, just without the whole 400 horse power thing. And with the "stack of dimes" welds clearly shown at the top tube, they didn't just forget to sand them down, no they did this on purpose to let the consumer know that even though it may not be built in the U.S. of A (<--- over rated btw, and yes I'm a citizen) it's still a quality product, just as our rep has told us.

yep, the gt sanction looks ideal. actually the 2.0 model seems fine being more than a 1000 less. (only the fork is significantly worse than the 1.0 model). but yea, what's with the saint stuff, seems overkill for this bike. (the 2.0 model is actually more my liking in using SLX stuff for cranks, etc). looks like a prime candidate though! note i don't need this bike for 30 foot gaps and 10 foot drops (stinky does that), but for long rides (5000 foot climbs) that have some steeps in them.

mtbr member
    Look at the Marin Wolf Ridge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Reign X HA is 67.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    Please don't buy a Turner, you will only ruin the bike by putting out-dated, heavy parts on it & make the brand look bad.

BTW, my crappy, 32lb RFX feels pretty damn good on even the steepest of trails, jumps & drops

You should look hard at the Reign & Specy Trail SX or Enduro models, really sweet bikes. My buddy & I just did a wicked 26 mile, 2500ft climb to a 5000 descent yesterday, he was on a 2008 Enduro SL, prety nice bike. I think his weighed 32lbs with 2.35 rear & 2.5 from Maxxis High Rollers.

Thank YOU, Chuck Norris!

Have you tried riding a Foes?

Can't go wrong with the FXR. Well built at about 30 pounds.
    I see you're drinking one percent. Is that because you think you're fat?

mtbr member
    That Canfield looks bloddy hell sexy.
    I myself am looking for pretty much what you are, and im prolly gonna end up with an SX trail or a Reign X
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    have you taken a look at the new Uzzi VP? production is expected to start feb 09.. this proto is 34.5lb and the weight is supposed to go down a tad more.. 6.75 or 7.25" travel, 66* HA with 180mm fork with 14.2"bb
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Trek Remedy - 67 deg. HA

mtbr member
    BMC Supertrail has 67 degree HA and 73 degree SA. It also builds to high 20's to low 30's weight. There should be enough squish as it's got 160mm at the back which should be perfectly paired to a Fox 36 or Zoke 55
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

drinks from the fountain

Coiler

Build up Coiler. You could get a frame from Wheelworld upgrade the shock and still be under 1000$. they can be built up reasonably light and have a way slack HA. Put on a Talas and you are in bidness.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

mtbr member
    I'll put in another vote for the Speshy Enduro. I just bought an 08 and it's awesome for flowy downhill trails, and it can handle decent sized drops and jumps. I was trying to decide for ages between the Enduro and Reign X, it was a tough call but the biggest benefit I've found though is because it's fairly light (around 31-32 pounds) you can ride for longer before getting tired, which means more fun! The E150 fork is super stiff in steep terrain, and it's got travel adjust for steep climbing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast