Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Best adjustable seat post?

Hey all, i am looking to get an adjustable seat post and not sure which is best. I have found the X Fusion Hilo, the Crank Bros. Joplin 4 and Kind Shock I950 and I900. I know that X Fusion one is a new product but like how it comes with a remote and seat post lever. Is there any benefit of hydraulic vs mechanical? If anyone can let me know what they think it would be appreciated.
    PS i found all 3 of them for relatively the same price so obviously $ is not a factor.

Thanks!
    Last edited by meSSican; 12-04-2010 at 07:03 PM.

usually cranky
    what about the rs reverb and gd posts. you missed some good ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The only reason I left out the Reverb and Gravity Dropper is that they are solidly at $250 whereas I have found the 3 I listed from $175-$150 which is my budget.

mtbr member
    For me the best drop seat post is the one the breaks down the least. Which basically leads me to say any system that is mechanical tends to win that category. Mechanical will almost always work regardless of whether you take care of the system or not. Where as Hydraulic base systems tend to need lots of "TLC" to maintain perfect working order. With Hydraulic you get an unlimited points of adjustment on the postes height, unlike the mechanical system where they are all set points.

I personally love the lighter weight, look, and function of the hydraulic base ones but despise their reliability. Which is why I run a Gravity Dropper (mechanical), it is reliable and robust.

usually cranky
    i have heard mechanical posts are super fussy about wire tension whereas with hydro you just need to give it a good bleed.

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    i have heard mechanical posts are super fussy about wire tension whereas with hydro you just need to give it a good bleed.
    Nah someone is full of BS.

The issues Ive seen with the Hydro ones are Joplins tend to get air in the system if you arent careful with how you use it. The Reverb seems to have a very fragile lever, Ive seen a few on MTBR already that have broken and looking at the lever itself I can see why.

The only issue with the GB (mech) types Ive seen is they can develop some play, which is easily remedied by puchasing new shims ($2 for set) every 6months to a year depending on how much you ride. Other than that, nothing.

Another that is a potential/possible issue on the hyro posts, if the system (hose, etc) developed a leak, your seat would drop making any lengthy pedaling a chore. A mech system wouldnt have this issue, even if the cable snapped, you could pull the cable and get back to optimum pedal height.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Really? Never even had an issue with that on mine, but that could also be from me not running a excessively long cable on my bike. I have heard of people not able to get it to work quite as smoothly because they wanted to run the cable down the seatpost, under the BB and up to the handle bars. However if you just run the cable on the top tube straight to the bars it shouldn't have any tension issues I would think .

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I know the Specialized command post is out of your price range, and some people had issues with the first model year (maybe 2nd year too), but out of personal experience, it is awesome. Up and down like butter and super solid.

Personally, as long as it is working properly, ANY adjustable post might be pretty much the best upgrade you can put on a bike. I use mine more than I use my front derailleur!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue
    Really? Never even had an issue with that on mine, but that could also be from me not running a excessively long cable on my bike. I have heard of people not able to get it to work quite as smoothly because they wanted to run the cable down the seatpost, under the BB and up to the handle bars. However if you just run the cable on the top tube straight to the bars it shouldn't have any tension issues I would think .

Actually b-kul heard right Not that the remote would not work but the return feel sucks, well at least on my AMP, and GD( very little problem with GD, but it's there). The mechanical do suffer the seat clamp tension though, if you tighten them too much it greatly effect the performance of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by 2clue
    For me the best drop seat post is the one the breaks down the least.
    This I agree 100%. It's simply the nature of the beast, I'm gladly accept it.

The nature of mech is the fact that all travel is predetermine, which work great when the post is new, but as it gets older the locking pin get worn and minor annoyance develop. The big plus is most posts are 27.2 which mean it would fit just about any frame.

Hydro are just awesome for infinite adjustment, good looking remotes, smooth, quiet operation, but only available in 30.9, and 31.6. CB was trying to crank out 27.2 version but that was short lived. KS overcame the problem, but then again my i7 that I order 9mos ago still has not arrive, so til then my fingers are crossed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I like the idea of the lever actuated posts better than the remote ones for the simplicity. I am just worried about when I take it to Northstar as you have to load the bikes where they hang on the seat. Will that damage the post after time?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican
    I like the idea of the lever actuated posts better than the remote ones for the simplicity. I am just worried about when I take it to Northstar as you have to load the bikes where they hang on the seat. Will that damage the post after time?

Lever operated sucks. If you insist on getting one, get the remote version and order the lever conversion. You'd change your mind in a few rides, if that. Plus the lever would get in the way of the lift.

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Does the i7 only come in 100mm i thought i heard the were coming out with one with more travel.I wanted one with 125mm for my prophet.

mtbr member
    May 2004

GDropper period !

Check out my post on the gravity dropper. Go find a deal on ebay.

usually cranky
    sorry for the confusion, i was talking about cable actuated vs. hydro actuated. not the internals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I liked the idea of the X fusion because it came with both lever and remote. Only problem with that one is i guess it has a single chamber so when you lift up on the seat it extends all the way out. Even though it goes right back down when you let off it is a big turn off for me since i will be using it for lift access in the summer. I am leaning twards the KS I900 but not sure if i am getting the remote or lever as there is a $35 difference and i really like the idea of the lever.
    mimi1885-why do the lever actuated ones suck? I have no experience with either and would like to get your opinion so i can make a good decision.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The remote is what makes the Adjustable posts as good as they are, try and have a ride on both setups , the lever will leave you feeling like you don't even have half a product

Edit:

+1,2,3,4........etc for Kindshock, mines been flawless

usually cranky
    I liked the idea of the X fusion because it came with both lever and remote. Only problem with that one is i guess it has a single chamber so when you lift up on the seat it extends all the way out. Even though it goes right back down when you let off it is a big turn off for me since i will be using it for lift access in the summer. I am leaning twards the KS I900 but not sure if i am getting the remote or lever as there is a $35 difference and i really like the idea of the lever.
    mimi1885-why do the lever actuated ones suck? I have no experience with either and would like to get your opinion so i can make a good decision.
    Thanks
    i think all adjustable posts do that. the reverb is the only one that kinda doesnt, if you pull on it fast enough it will extend.

T.W.O.
    Thanks
    Why lever sucks? It's human nature, we want more. If you are coming from standard post then lever seems like enough, drop the seat in tech sections then raise back up on the climb.

Once we have try the remote, it make adjustment easier, and safer so we do it more often. Then we want better remotes, more convinience, more travel, better designs, more sizes, easier cable routing, weather proofed, and so on.

Once remote operating becomes second nature you can drop your seat and brake when you get a surprise obstracles on the trail, it takes a while to multitask

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet bill
    Does the i7 only come in 100mm i thought i heard the were coming out with one with more travel.I wanted one with 125mm for my prophet.
    So far only 100. It more difficult to do one smaller with hydro, I guess. I spoke to Maverick, and KS a while back, they expressed the same concern. Making a smaller diameter, but not longer internal at a competitive weight turn out to be a mile stone. I'm sure once the first guy who figured out more would follow.

mtbr member

Gravity Dropper!

Gravity Dropper makes the best adjustable seatposts quality and functional wise hands down, IMO.

I was on a 4" GD post for +4 years with no problems (220-225lb rider who rides hard and sloppy at times), other than the usual saddle wiggle and only two cable replacements (cheap).

Bought a RS Reverb this past fall and sold it after 3 weeks of use due to being a little too cumbersome and not really as practical to use as I was hoping for.

Now back on a GD post, the 30.9mm, 5" Classic and love it so much better than the Reverb Just a much more quality post with solid construction of the seatpost itself (not sensitve to binding forces), easy to set-up, easy to use with seat position in the "right" place everytime and absolutely no side to side or up/down play at all due to thicker inner tubing with 30.9 diameter mitigating any extra movement which would be present with their older 27.2 posts. And you can set-up the remote in the optimal position better, just above the left thumb FD shifter when running a right remote inverted on the left side. The Reverb required me to have shave off extra material from the FD shifter pod to get it more inline with thumb shifter and still never could get it in the optimal position due to the remote body since I don't like running the remotes on top of the bars.

Gravity Dropper are awesome with excellent custy service here in the US (not the case with KS) and makes a solid product that they stand behind! Oh, and yes mechanical posts are just more practical and easier to use than hydraulic stuff without a doubt, even though the hydraulic sounds good in theory like disc brakes.
    Ride On!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by wpuk
    The remote is what makes the Adjustable posts as good as they are, try and have a ride on both setups , the lever will leave you feeling like you don't even have half a product

Edit:

+1,2,3,4........etc for Kindshock, mines been flawless
    I agree, KS is great, they are constantly improving, new internal, better remotes, I've never had any issues getting great customer service. One of my KS was the first version, now it's upgraded to the latest internal and remote. Not many companies constantly make improvement, they are alright in my book.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I think I will pick up the X-Fusion Hilo. X-Fusion looks to have some nice products. Also looking at the Vengeance.

I do what I want
    i think most hydro adjustable posts do that. the reverb is the only one that kinda doesnt, if you pull on it fast enough it will extend. Of course this is not an issue with Mech posts like the GD and All Mountain Post
    I fixed that for you.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford
    I fixed that for you.
    haha thank you. for some reason my brain only chooses to focus on the remote actuation system and not the internals

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry about wire actuated posts,what could be more simple than a cable?

I'm rocking an i950-r and have had 0 problems with it in over 6 months.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast