mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Best 2009 AM Bike for 3K to 4K???

Need some suggestions for a new rig. Is there one bike out there that's got everyone talking. I'm looking for a do everything bike for around 3K to 4K. The Gary Fisher Roscoe 2 has my eye. Any other suggestions before I buy.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Take a look at the Trek Remedy. I test road a Roscoe last Fall and thought it was great, but ended up with the Remedy b/c I thought it offered more bang for the buck and had longer legs. Try some test rides on various bikes and see what works for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The Trek Remedy is really nice. If I had 3K I would buy this. Specialized Enduros are nice too. Banshee and Intense have nice AM frames as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Lol thats funny, we both said Trek Remedy

Shred all that can be
    Aggressive All Mountain: GT SANCTION

More XC oriented: GT Force

both models have specs in those price ranges.
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just picked up a Remedy too and it's living up to the hype. I love the geometry and the frame has had a tonne of thought and deisgn put into it. I'm a very happy customer.

Oh and for comparison I've owned a lot of bikes recently including, Ironhorse 7 Point, Iron Horse MkIII, Intense SS, Canfield Lucky, Chromag Stylus... and have ridden off road Specialized Enduro, Specialized Stumpjumper, SC Nomad, SC Blur LT, Norco Fluid.

The Remedy feels a lot like my SS when tooling through twisty singletrack but it climbs much better, as good as my MkIII with a Push custom tuned shock.

mtbr member
    I bought a used Enduro SL for $2200, but if I had a bigger budget, I would have gone with a Nomad. Those bikes are badass!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    In that price range you could build up or go mass market / big box. I have not tried ABP, but would think that the proprietary shox is worrysome.

I would go by fit, every frame is different. Each suspension style offers pros / cons. Some more cons than others. My problem with GF is that they seem to reinvent the wheel every two years.

I currently ride a Reign 1 that can be had below your level or go for the Reign 0 with better parts. It is not sexy, doesn't offer special shocks or tapered headtubes. It just rides beautifully up and down. It offers a dual parallel link suspension. Giant offers test rides on your local trails from dealers check out the web.

Good Luck,

Rob

Sir Hurt Locker
    The Santa Cruz Nomad is an amazing AM machine. Definately try to test ride one, I am sure you will be impressed. The Trek Remedy, Devinci Hectik, Giant Reign X, and Banshee Rune are other bikes I would recommend to take a look at.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I can definitely recommend the Banshee Rune

Bike to the Bone...
    Some other bikes to consider: Knolly Endorphin, Titus FTM, SC Blur LT2, Banshee Rune.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Might be able to get a Pivot Firebird built up for that. Frames are around $2k here locally.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    spec enduros off the shelf or built up from frame only even better, trek remedy, SC nomad, Ellsworth moment, intense 6.6, turner rfx (if you could get one) lappierre spicy, Orange five am. giant reign x.

All good bikes you can't go wrong with that budget. just down to personal preference of makes and riding characteristics. go test ride loads

slamma
    There are too many bikes in that category.. it is utterly impossible for anyone to ever make a conclusive decision on a bike in that price range, there are just to many.........

So just go get yourself a Yeti 575.....
    Ride with timeless creed

Trail Rider
    Apr 2007
    Cannondale Rize!!!

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPRAG
    So just go get yourself a Yeti 575.....
    I was going to say to check out the new ASR-7. A seven inch travel bike that reportedly climbs well.....hmmm.

http://www.feedthehabit.com/mountain...-bike-preview/

Bikes are good

Turner 5 Spot

There isn't anything I can't do on mine. Good for riding down stuff you could barely hike up with it, and riding everything to get there. A fast, fun, dependable bike. You will fly.

mtbr member
    Knolly Endorphin

Turner 5 spot

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Got a Moment

Wow surprised no one mention the Ellsworth Moment as there is an AM bike. Now they are having great deals on there frames so worth taking a look. Check out the reviews as nothing but high praise for them.

Singletrack Slayer

Diamondback mission 3

http://www.mtbr.com/TRP_16_418_5crx.aspxThis is a sick bike and you'll get a bad a$$ component spec and Hammerschmidt!!! $3500
    After having put some serious time on my 08 mission 2, I can say that this is one hell of a sweet rig. Climbs very well and goes downhill very fast