mtbr member

Beginner: all mountain hard tail frame suggestions...thanks!

Im a beginner in mountain biking and I like to ask for some suggestions which hardtail frame should I start with, and what fork travel should I use...I also have a limited budget, so any thing you can suggest..?^^ Thanks!!!
    I post this thread here for the reason that I chose to do ALL MOUNTAIN biking with hardtail cause I love riding and climbing in trails...

mtbr member
    An honest assessment of where and how you will be riding will dictate which niche of hardtail you will be riding. "All mountain" vs "trail" vs cross country" covers a huge spectrum. In general the latter will lean towards lighter and more efficient climbing, the former tends to be heavier to handle more advanced technical terrain and sacrifices climbing for descending. Trail somewhat splits the difference. All this can make choosing the right choice a daunting task, after all they look the same to the untrained eye. I was a beginner once (and some would say I haven't progressed much ), but I would say starting with a "trailbike" might be a good bet to get started. You might find yourself leaning to one end or the other after a while as your fitness, skills and confidence progress, only time will tell. You're going to get a hundred different answers here on mtbr and most of them are going to be biased. Only a reputable local bike shop will be your best bet to point you in the right direction for your local terrain.
    Last edited by masterofnone; 09-06-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: wrong info
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    If you do end up going with a trail/AM bike, look at:
    On One EVO II, Transition Trans AM, Ragley Blue Pig, NS Surge, Chromag Stylus

Think steel and slack head angle. Id go with 140mm fork, no less than 120mm

if you like 27.5" wheels, the Kona Explosif might be worth a look...

heres a good thread for ideas
    The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.

please excuse the idiots on the last few pages that are ruining the thread and cannot understand that AM is a type of bike, not trail/riding style. you wouldn't happen to be one would you?

mtbr member
    can you please give me a short clear idea of what all mountain is all about...i thought its a type of riding style at the same time type of bike. All bikes that are in all mtb catalogs are FS and most hardtails are under trail bikes... but you guys have been building hardtail AM bikes, and now I'm confuse...

Anyway I've been doing some research and I think HT trail bikes fit my style.

As for now I have a chucker 2.0 6061 aluminum. As a beginner, is it good enough to practice for trail biking thought its a free ride mtb..?
    Last edited by GardenPath; 09-07-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: for clearer view/error

mtbr member
    Saying that there is no such thing as all mountain riding is ludricrous. It's like saying downhill or freeriding doesn't exist , it's only a label put on an overbuilt pig heavy bike with all the wrong geometry solely for marketing purposes. Bikes are built to handle a type of rider/riding style and terrain. Do yourself a favor and stop reading assinine (sp?) jibberish here in this forum, they'll only serve to confuse you. Go to your favorite bike shop and have them show you the way. Have fun shopping!
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Beginner: all mountain hard tail frame suggestions...thanks!

An all mountain hard tail will generally be a beefier frame made to take punishment of jumps and drops, built to take a longish fork (140-160mm), will have a slacker head tube for downhill stability (but sacrificing steering quickness while climbing), and might have a longer wheelbase for stability at speed. If you put that same type of fork on a xc frame and ride what many consider all mountain riding (some amount of jumping is typical), you will risk breaking the frame due to the extra stress at the head tube, and it may ride a little wonky because the seat tube will be laid back and the bottom bracket will be quite high. Hope that answers your question. There are innumerable threads on what is all mountain riding and what is an all mountain bike, do some reading.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Typically an AM HT will have a slacker head and seat tube angles, shorter stays, and a long(er) travel front fork. As said before AM bikes tend to sacrifice climbing ability for downhill prowess and the above features tend to help with that.

But don't get hung up on labels and whatever the flavor of the week is. Every beginner these days thinks an AM bike is for them because it's the in thing to do. It's more important that you settle on a bike you're comfortable on, matches your terrain and riding style, and is within your budget.

That being said, if you're dead set on an AM HT (marketing be damned), I would add the Canfield Yelli Screamy as my recommendation. It's a slack, short stay, short wheelbase, longer than average travel aluminum 29er. I run a 120mm fork on mine (I like to climb, too) but it will handle a 140mm fork nicely as well. I take it through jumps, drops, flow, whatever. Even the local skate park (just hopping and popping off of things, no quarter pipes, it's huge that way).

But it would help a lot if we knew what your budget and terrain style were.
    Last edited by BlueDragonX; 09-12-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    An all mountain hard tail will generally be a beefier frame made to take punishment of jumps and drops, built to take a longish fork (140-160mm), will have a slacker head tube for downhill stability (but sacrificing steering quickness while climbing), and might have a longer wheelbase for stability at speed. If you put that same type of fork on a xc frame and ride what many consider all mountain riding (some amount of jumping is typical), you will risk breaking the frame due to the extra stress at the head tube, and it may ride a little wonky because the seat tube will be laid back and the bottom bracket will be quite high. Hope that answers your question. There are innumerable threads on what is all mountain riding and what is an all mountain bike, do some reading.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)
    Excellent definition. I'll add some more criteria typically found on this type of bike...

- Long fork
    - Slack geometry
    - Wide/high volume tires
    - Dropper seatpost
    - Wide bars
    - Short stem
    - Bashguard/chain guide
    - Disc brakes (larger rotors common)
    - Frames are often made out of steel

The idea is that an all mountain hardtail is designed for riding rougher terrain. Rocky, rooty, steep, possibly with jumps and drops thrown in. Consequently, all the parts are stronger (frame, fork, wheels, etc.) What this adds up to is a bike that wouldn't be ideal for XC racing because of the geometry and weight, but still light enough to pedal uphill. The other extreme would be Freeride hardtails, which aren't very common but are hugely overbuilt and much heavier. Their geometry really sucks for climbing.

The category is broad and results in arguments ALL THE TIME. If you like to ride gnarly stuff and get your wheels off the ground, these bikes are great. If you ride twisty trails and keep your wheels grounded, it might not be for you.

squish, squish in da fish
    none of you guys have ridden a N9 then. 16.5" CS and climbs like a gecko, eff all that mt goat sheeot. i ride it SS and can do all the crap i did on a 1x10 XC frame. ha, i guess i need to read the 2nd to last post, but its still the bros geo

mtbr member
    i see, I still have a lot of things to know more about mountain biking...I guess I still need to read more and ride more to find out what type of biking I want to. Anyways, thanks for all your comments and suggestion guys. I appreciate them a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GardenPath View Post
    Im a beginner in mountain biking and I like to ask for some suggestions which hardtail frame should I start with, and what fork travel should I use...I also have a limited budget, so any thing you can suggest..?^^ Thanks!!!
    I post this thread here for the reason that I chose to do ALL MOUNTAIN biking with hardtail cause I love riding and climbing in trails...
    After you are done with your reading and research, you might want to check the 2014 Cannondale all mountain or hardtail bikes. The prices are pretty reasonable. My wife and I bought two of them 2013 Cannondale S2 and 2014 Cannondale Trail 4 - they are higher end on their respective models so lower end starts around $600. We really enjoy riding both of them in the trails. Trail SL 29 2 - MOUNTAIN - BIKES - 2014

mtbr member
    XC = for speed and mild off road (usually have around 4 inches of sus travel)
    Trail = go anywhere bike (usually have around 5 inches of travel)
    AM = go anywhere plus some stuntwork (4-6 jumps) (usually has around 6 inches of travel)
    Freeride = go anywhere, do anything (usually has around 7+ inches of travel)
    Downhill = flying downhill (same as FR for travel)

more or less

as you go from XC all the way to DH, the bikes get heavier, have more suspension travel, are tougher, and the geo gets more laid back
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    why not try a 456 from on one? kind of a do it all frame you can adjust to suit your needs from xc to some light mountain work. by the time you feel a need for a new one
    you would have earned it anyway, just a suggestion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    + more importantly, you can make it as inexpensive as you want, or you can choose to throw some cash on specific upgrades through the years and still be a relevant platform.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    Saying that there is no such thing as all mountain riding is ludricrous. It's like saying downhill or freeriding doesn't exist , it's only a label put on an overbuilt pig heavy bike with all the wrong geometry solely for marketing purposes.
    yes freeriding and downhill riding are types of riding.
    could you please tell us the difference between "trail" riding and "all mountain" riding?