Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    588

    Bashwich - BBG Bashguards

    Not sure which forum this belongs to but I ride AM so I'll put it here.

    I'm in the process of converting to a 1x setup and am going to use a 32t ring in the middle of my stock crank. That said my plan is to create a "bashwich" - inner and outer bash guards. My question is, for the inner one, what can I use to determine if the inner bash guard will fit without hitting the frame/chainstay?

    Also I'm thinking of a bbg bash guard, but after my experience with homebrewed components...I was wondering what kind of reputation they have?

  2. #2
    Butts Up Fast!
    Reputation: Stonebreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    394
    BBG is a pretty solid company and product IMHO. Love my setup!! As for testing the inner guide clearance I just went ahead and bought it. For the money it was pretty cheap and paid off big.
    Bashwich - BBG Bashguards-bbg.jpg

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    118
    I think the people that have issues with the inner ring hitting the frame are HT riders. I have the same setup and overall pretty dang happy. Only real complaint about the company is you have to pay for shipping on each item...not over all shipping price. Their prices are cheap enough to not bother me though.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    588
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree on the price/value ratio of them as well. I'll be putting this on a trek fuel ex8 from 2008 so I'd still like to confirm it'd fit...$18 bucks is $18 bucks

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    622
    God, I hated my bashwich. Worse than useless. The inner ring was so flimsy I could easily deflect it with one finger. So instead of keeping the chain on the ring, it would freely allow the chain to drop off the ring but then hang on for dear life when I tried to get it back on. Single worst component purchase I've ever made.

    I've got nothing against BBG. I used their regular bashguard for 6 months with no problems and recommend it to others. But the bashwich, no thanks.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    God, I hated my bashwich. Worse than useless. The inner ring was so flimsy I could easily deflect it with one finger. So instead of keeping the chain on the ring, it would freely allow the chain to drop off the ring but then hang on for dear life when I tried to get it back on. Single worst component purchase I've ever made.

    I've got nothing against BBG. I used their regular bashguard for 6 months with no problems and recommend it to others. But the bashwich, no thanks.
    I'm trying not to do a chainguide...one of the reasons I went 1x is because of the removal do the front der and how that cleans up the seattube. Since my bike and I are not DHers I don't want an mrp or the expense of one....or some other guide thing clamped to the seat tube (since I don't have isgc mounts).

    More to your point, maybe ill get the 1/8 inner guard instead of the 1/16 if the 1/16 is too flimsy.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    I'm trying not to do a chainguide...one of the reasons I went 1x is because of the removal do the front der and how that cleans up the seattube. Since my bike and I are not DHers I don't want an mrp or the expense of one....or some other guide thing clamped to the seat tube (since I don't have isgc mounts).

    More to your point, maybe ill get the 1/8 inner guard instead of the 1/16 if the 1/16 is too flimsy.
    Similar for me. I also have no ISCG and thought a bashwich might be the solution. Not so much. I ended up with an MRP guide and have not dropped a chain since. Couldn't be happier. But, as you say, they ain't cheap.

    I don't remember a choice of thickness for the inner guards. Maybe the 1/8 will work out for you. Good luck whatever you do.

  8. #8
    dwt
    dwt is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,681
    My bashwhich is a BBG Outer, and an old 34T chainring with the teeth ground off as the inner. The bike is a Chinese carbon 650b conversion. The chainring is a Homebrew 31T custom. As all of these components are 104 BCD, the unit is bound together with extra long chainring nuts and bolts. No problem with chainstay clearance.

    IME the bashwich is much more reliable holding the chain on than any guide I've tried. The parts are bombproof. Only con is not exactly quiet in use.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Similar for me. I also have no ISCG and thought a bashwich might be the solution. Not so much. I ended up with an MRP guide and have not dropped a chain since. Couldn't be happier. But, as you say, they ain't cheap.

    I don't remember a choice of thickness for the inner guards. Maybe the 1/8 will work out for you. Good luck whatever you do.
    Thanks...regardless I might be willing to take the chance on $36 worth of bash guards before I go the mrp route...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey101 View Post
    I think the people that have issues with the inner ring hitting the frame are HT riders. I have the same setup and overall pretty dang happy. Only real complaint about the company is you have to pay for shipping on each item...not over all shipping price. Their prices are cheap enough to not bother me though.
    You have to email the owner, Erin Badaracco. $6 shipping covers up to 3 bashguards. I've done this several times and each time he was really cool and helpful. Unfortunately the site isn't set up that way.

    As for bashwich fitting - just draw a line out from your little ring and make sure that there's enough space to match the bashguard. Bashwiches are a little bit shorter so the bashguard absorbs impacts.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    You have to email the owner, Erin Badaracco. $6 shipping covers up to 3 bash guards
    Cool, I have an email in to him for something else so I'll ask about this too. Did he just send you a custom PayPal invoice or something?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    82
    i can fit the inner bbg on my '12 fuel ex 8. and it is not close to the chainstay.

    i didn't go with the bashwich because i would have had to grind on my crank and didn't want to do that.
    replacing the small chainring with the bash would still let the chain fall in between the middle ring and inner bash.
    if you grind the mounting tabs on the crank you can get the bash close enough and that won't happen.
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

  13. #13
    human dehumidifier
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    You have to email the owner, Erin Badaracco. $6 shipping covers up to 3 bashguards. I've done this several times and each time he was really cool and helpful. Unfortunately the site isn't set up that way.
    I thought Erin is a female

    I thought of using a bashwich converting a SS to 1x9, but as mentioned above I had problems because it's a hardtail. Now I'm thinking of using a Hope guide, simpler, less expensive, and less gaudy than an MRP, and it'll work with a bashguard. Something else to consider if the bashwich doesn't work out for you.



    Hope BB Mount Chain Guide | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by Antikid View Post
    i can fit the inner bbg on my '12 fuel ex 8. and it is not close to the chainstay.

    i didn't go with the bashwich because i would have had to grind on my crank and didn't want to do that.
    replacing the small chainring with the bash would still let the chain fall in between the middle ring and inner bash.
    if you grind the mounting tabs on the crank you can get the bash close enough and that won't happen.
    What crank do you have?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I thought Erin is a female

    I thought of using a bashwich converting a SS to 1x9, but as mentioned above I had problems because it's a hardtail. Now I'm thinking of using a Hope guide, simpler, less expensive, and less gaudy than an MRP, and it'll work with a bashguard. Something else to consider if the bashwich doesn't work out for you.



    Hope BB Mount Chain Guide | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    I've thought of these, but aren't they a pain to adjust/align? It just replaces a spacer on the bb right? My thoughts would be that it's difficult to get the bb tight and keep this in the correct position.

    This is my experience with a bb mounted chain tensioner on my SS.

  16. #16
    dwt
    dwt is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,681
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post

    thought of these, but aren't they a pain to adjust/align? It just replaces a spacer on the bb right? My thoughts would be that it's difficult to get the bb tight and keep this in the correct position.
    I had an MRP 1X BB mount before switching to bashwhich. If it took a hard hit, the BB mount could be moved out of position. Which is why MRP came out with a seat tube mount, I suppose, for bikes without ISCG. But that is an expensive component. This is cheaper and foolproof:

    Bashwich - BBG Bashguards-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353596610.515947.jpg



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    I had an MRP 1X BB mount before switching to bashwhich. If it took a hard hit, the BB mount could be moved out of position. Which is why MRP came out with a seat tube mount, I suppose, for bikes without ISCG. But that is an expensive component. This is cheaper and foolproof:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353596610.515947.jpg 
Views:	1447 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	739330



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What size is that inner chainring?

  18. #18
    dwt
    dwt is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,681
    [QUOTE=jbsmith;9896453]What size is that inner chainring?[/QUOTE.]

    Inner bash is 34T ring with teeth ground down. Chainring is 31T custom made by Homebrew. Outer bash is BBG 32T size. The crank is Truvative 1.1, which has no 64 bcd drillings for inner ring, so I had to work around that.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    What crank do you have?
    shimano m552 is the stocker on the fuel ex 8 and i also got the same results when i got a slx crank.
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jetta_mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    475
    I used to run this Envy inner bash....worked great and gave you the granny option when needed.

    eNVy

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scmalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    100
    I used to have a bashwich setup with a blackspire blackguard. I feel like it really needs a roller guide like a blackspire stinger to really be effective in technical terrain.

    I had a solid BBG bashguard and its truly a great product. i hit it against logs, concrete, steel pipes without major damage etc. plus it feels good to support a small company like that. Although, my buddy managed to annihilate his "oval" drilled bbg (i.e. rubbed the chain) but that was from smashing it into a concrete ledge during a failed bunny hop or something.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    144
    Buy a used MRP 1x on Pinkbike for $20 like I did and call it a day. I even use it for DH days. The BB mount version works great when you tighten the BB cup enough. Oh, and the seat tube mount version is for 1x 'cross bikes or mountain bikes with press fit bottom brackets. Weighs a helluva a lot less and is a lot quieter than a bashwich.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Antikid View Post
    i can fit the inner bbg on my '12 fuel ex 8. and it is not close to the chainstay.

    i didn't go with the bashwich because i would have had to grind on my crank and didn't want to do that.
    replacing the small chainring with the bash would still let the chain fall in between the middle ring and inner bash.
    if you grind the mounting tabs on the crank you can get the bash close enough and that won't happen.
    I had this issue. Went to Home Depot and bought some little plastic spacers to put with chainring bolts. This closed the distance and stopped the chain from dropping in that space.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by raycje5 View Post
    I had this issue. Went to Home Depot and bought some little plastic spacers to put with chainring bolts. This closed the distance and stopped the chain from dropping in that space.
    sorry but i can't figure out what you mean where did you put the spacers?
    i still have the brand new inner bash and wouldn't mind using it. don't need granny around me.
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Antikid View Post
    sorry but i can't figure out what you mean where did you put the spacers?
    i still have the brand new inner bash and wouldn't mind using it. don't need granny around me.
    They would go on the chainring bolt after it goes through. All you need to do it push the ring over a little to take up that void space. I'd go take a picture but I'm not currently using that set up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •