Thread: Bash Guard

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Bash Guard

I am looking to remove my big ring and replace it with a bash guard. I am using the Shimano SLX cranks. I have been reading posts and have come across a few brands such as Race Face, Straitline, e.thirteen, Gamut, BBG, etc. I am not sure what to get at this point, but I will figure it out soon. I have a few questions about this replacement.

1. Do I need to do anything with the derailer since I will not have a big ring, but 2 smaller rings? What if I were to accidently change gears to the big ring and there is the bash guard there instead?

2. What about the chain. Do I need to shorten it?

Thanks, Jeff

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    1. Yes, you will definitely need to adjust your front derailleur to stop at the second ring. If you do not know how to do that yourself, your LBS can in about 5 minutes.
    2. You should not need to worry at all about shortnening your chain.
    3. The BBG Bashguard is by far and away the best bang for your buck, in my opinion.

Hope this helps

Bite Me.
    Pick whatever guard works for your budget - you want a 104 BCD 4 bolt designed to cover 32-34 teeth. Adjust the outer limit screw of your front derailleur so it only goes out far enough to get the chain on the middle ring. Don't adjust the height of the derailleur on the seat tube. Alternately you can get an SLX double derailleur designed for just 2 rings. You should shorten your chain so you don't get so much chain slap - could also go with a medium cage rear derailleur, but it's not mandatory.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Another vote for BBG.

mtbr member
    +3 for BBG.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jstevens
    I am looking to remove my big ring and replace it with a bash guard. I am using the Shimano SLX cranks. I have been reading posts and have come across a few brands such as Race Face, Straitline, e.thirteen, Gamut, BBG, etc. I am not sure what to get at this point, but I will figure it out soon. I have a few questions about this replacement.

1. Do I need to do anything with the derailer since I will not have a big ring, but 2 smaller rings? What if I were to accidently change gears to the big ring and there is the bash guard there instead?

2. What about the chain. Do I need to shorten it?

Thanks, Jeff
    +4 for the BBG

You don't HAVE to shorten the chain, but it would be a very good idea to do so, as you will take a lot of extra slack out of it that otherwise just flops around and increases the likelihood of dropping the chain. Use the "big/big + 1" rule for chain length, only now your middle ring is the "big" ring.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    +4 for the BBG

You don't HAVE to shorten the chain, but it would be a very good idea to do so, as you will take a lot of extra slack out of it that otherwise just flops around and increases the likelihood of dropping the chain. Use the "big/big + 1" rule for chain length, only now your middle ring is the "big" ring.
    Do tell more.

I just ordered a BBG 32T regular bashguard last night.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Do tell more.

I just ordered a BBG 32T regular bashguard last night.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain
    Go to the heading "Chain Length".

What?
    You should shorten your chain if you are not using the big ring. All you need to adjust on the front derailuer is screw in the limit screw so it wont go past the second ring. Takes about 5 seconds.

mtbr member
    I say forget about even getting a bash guard if you don't need one! I just recently dropped my big ring and replaced my middle ring with a 38 tooth. Didn't put a bash guard on and it doesn't seem like I would need to as I have plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    I would get the BBG guard. I made one very similar to their design and it is working great for me and looks good doing it. They are relatively cheap anyway.

-Brett

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Here is the last one I got. It is a The BBG 32t model with oval drilling. The claimed weight of 42g was pretty close on my scale.
    http://www.bbgbashguard.com/images/IMG_2779.JPG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bash Guard-bbg-bike-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just ordered the BBG. I can't wait to get it. Thank you to everyone for the technical help. I will try to make the derailer and chain adjusments myself once I receive the new bash guard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue
    I say forget about even getting a bash guard if you don't need one! I just recently dropped my big ring and replaced my middle ring with a 38 tooth. Didn't put a bash guard on and it doesn't seem like I would need to as I have plenty of clearance.
    Depends on where you ride and how you ride. I hit my bash guard on a regular basis. My friend who can bunny-hop everything doesn't hit anything. Also, a bash guard helps protect you from bad things happening when you come in contact with your chain ring. I have a couple of friends with pretty good chain ring scars--one needed a bunch of stitches and was off the bike for a while. Even my friend who bunny hops everything has had a chain ring/neck contact incident.

Cthulhu fhtagn
    FWIW i lowered the front derailluer. specs say you want the cage to be about 2mm from the outside ring, since the bbg guard is smaller then the outside ring it replaces it made sense to adjust it accordingly
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

mtbr member
    I got BBG too! I thought I'd never use it but Braille at Demo Forest had other plans. Glad I have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m.
    I got BBG too! I thought I'd never use it but Braille at Demo Forest had other plans. Glad I have it.
    What did you hit a braille??? My old setup was a 3 ring 42 tooth and never had issue with scrapping my big ring out at demo. The only time and place I have ever scrapped my big ring was riding over in the Santa Cruz/Wilder area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue
    What did you hit a braille??? My old setup was a 3 ring 42 tooth and never had issue with scrapping my big ring out at demo. The only time and place I have ever scrapped my big ring was riding over in the Santa Cruz/Wilder area.
    First time at Braille so I can't tell you the exact sections, but there were at least a couple of logs in the way that I couldn't bunny hop (like I knew how to?)_and as soon as I was pedaling through, my bash guard hit the stump. But yeah, I never thought I'd need it but I guess I did.