Knockwood

Cool-blue Rhythm To bar or not to bar...

Being an old geezer, my hands tend to numb up at times when I'm riding, even when I do my best to change my hand position frequently. Those big-ass bar ends scare me- I'm afraid I'd perforate my colon on my first endo. I'd like to start out my new bike as a "hand-friendly" ride (and yes, SC fans, I'm in that long line awaiting Heckler delivery) so I'm open to suggestions. Anyone found grips that help with this? Gloves? Stubby bar ends?

ride hard take risks
    Lizard Skinz Moab Clamp on grips.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Master of None
    Some people like the Ergon grips, like these:

http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/grips/gp1.html
    I bought those for my girlfriend and she seems to like them. I tried the Ergon Enduro grips but they were too hard.

I have tried these bar ends too, they were very comfy. But they are kinda dorky looking.

http://www.canecreek.com/ergo_control_ii.html

And lastly these are the grips I use now. They are comfy, squishy, and the traction is great.

http://www.odigrips.com/mtb_rogue_lo.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I had the same problem...

tried a few different things. I found that wearing Specialized brand gloved with the BG (Body Geometry) feature made a huge difference. The BG padding lessens the load on the ulnar nerve in your hand...pressure on that nerve is the biggest reason numbness occurs. Not all Specilaized gloves have the feature so look carefully.

Also, getting a wide riser bar did help because it distributed a little more weight to the saddle and off of my wrists and the width made a more comfrotable bend in my wrist. I also bought a bar made of carbon which I have found helps quite a bit as it deadens the vibrations that make it to my hands.

mtbr member
    I second the Ergon grips, and the ODI lock ons.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by hhumbert
    Being an old geezer, my hands tend to numb up at times when I'm riding, even when I do my best to change my hand position frequently. Those big-ass bar ends scare me- I'm afraid I'd perforate my colon on my first endo. I'd like to start out my new bike as a "hand-friendly" ride (and yes, SC fans, I'm in that long line awaiting Heckler delivery) so I'm open to suggestions. Anyone found grips that help with this? Gloves? Stubby bar ends?
    Dropbars
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

trail fairy
    Oury Lock ons, slightly bigger again than the ODI Rogues both awesome, get a nice bend riser bar like Easton or Race Face make sure ya line it up in line with ya forks so ya wrists sit neutral, rotated too far forward will affect handling and comfort, as will rotated too far back, the name facing forward should be on the same angle as ya fork.

Should take care of any wrist pains also relax dude which no doubt ya will when ya ride ya heckler great bike
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Get Down Do you
    Odi Rogues are nice and big so you have more meat to grab on too. It really lets my hands relax on the bar since I am not trying to wrench down on a little skinny grip. Also the Oury lock on or regular are nice and big and of my riding buddies who don't use rogues they use the Ourys.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    another vote for the rogues and a nice wide bar

jones'in
    Two thumbs up for the Rogues. I put a set on my X1 a while back and I'm loving 'em.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

conjoinicorned
    mary bars!

what would rainbow unicorn do?

squish is good
    I use the ODI's and love them! They are soo much fatter than the standard grips and it feels alot more natural, like gripping a baseball bat or a ski pole instead of trying to hang onto a piece of rebar. I used bar ends for about a week last year and never got over how goofy a long travel bike looked with them on it. They were nice when climbing but didn't make that big of a difference, I just got used to my regular grips with the riser bars. One thing that helped me was to consciously think to relax my grip when climbing, makes you alot less tense!

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Muggsly
    Odi Rogues are nice and big so you have more meat to grab on too. It really lets my hands relax on the bar since I am not trying to wrench down on a little skinny grip. Also the Oury lock on or regular are nice and big and of my riding buddies who don't use rogues they use the Ourys.
    depends on the size of your hands
    I use ruffians because I dont have big hands. I find that I can grip the grip () loose since there is less to grip

I think that didnt make much sense
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    I use ruffians because I dont have big hands. I find that I can grip the grip () loose since there is less to grip

Yup the smaller grips actually are better, your correct. I was of the other idea till i tryed & changed.
    Formotion Products

Baba Booey!
    I found that carbon bars really take the edge off of those small vibrations and I have significantly less hand pain and numbness at the end of the day. I use them in combination with Rogue lockons which are great, but I think the Oury's are even better, and will be switching back to them when these wear out.

Get Down Do you
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch

Why didn't it make sense? I am not a big person only 5'7" so my hands are not huge behemoths. But I like having a lot to rap my hand around and since I don't have to hold on tight to something small my hands are not clenched as much.

It's like holding onto something the size of a broom handle tightly or holding something the size of a Papertowel carboard tube. The tube is larger so I don't have to clench as much.

I've never liked skinny grips. They don't dampen vibrations and I just like having a ton to hold onto. But again YMMV.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Those Ergons pictured somewhere above are fugly, and this large 'ear' isn't really comfy imo But they got some really nice ones, the Enduro grips (available in two sizes, regular and superthick )

http://www.ergon-bike.com/de/griffe/ge1.html

Apart from the grips the handlebar also has a huge impact on the grip feeling Watch your ankles whether they are bent or in line with your arms. I've switched from an Easton monkeybar with an 8 bend to a slightly wider Syncros Lowriser with 16 bend and absolutely love it. Perfect hand position!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    This may sound wierd, but I use both the ergos and the lizard skinz bar ends. hehe They work great, and I rarely have pains in the nerve that runs in my palm. I just scoot the ergos in a bit and leave some room for the bar ends. Comfy, and I dont have to worry about my bar ends looking like a bulls head.

Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    Some people like the Ergon grips, like these:

http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/grips/gp1.html
    I bought those for my girlfriend and she seems to like them. I tried the Ergon Enduro grips but they were too hard.

I have tried these bar ends too, they were very comfy. But they are kinda dorky looking.

http://www.canecreek.com/ergo_control_ii.html

And lastly these are the grips I use now. They are comfy, squishy, and the traction is great.

http://www.odigrips.com/mtb_rogue_lo.htm

mtbr member
    I too have the Ergon Grips. They are designed to alleviate numbness. I never had a problem with numbness but didn't like my super thin grips and didn't want something too squishy. The Ergon grips feel really good. My hands absorb the bumps much better and the increased size gives me much better control. I've used bar ends since my first bike 16 years ago partly to keep my grips on when they got wet. I really like them. On steep climbs moving your hands up to the bar ends gives you much more leverage. I have fallen hundreds of times but have never hit my bar ends. I got the Ergon grips with the tiny bar ends. The bar ends aren't very useful. I can't really grab them but they still provide protection for my hands and added security (even if all mentally) that my hands won't slip off.

mtbr member
    If you use bar ends, they should be almost level with the ground so it is hard to impale yourself.

Try moving your elbows in and out. There should be a more neutral position for your hands where they naturally rest on the grip based on the position of your elbow. This may not be the most correct riding position but then you can look into a bar that matches this position.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    I don't have them on my current bike, but I still have an used to ride the Cane Creek Ergo barends that someone else posted up here.

Putting aside all the dislike for barends that has risen in the past 4-5 years (my guess) mainly due to apperance rather than function (again, IMO), barends are a great option to change hand positions. I found the Cane Creeks to be the most comfortable pair I ever had; prior to that I had tried approx. 4 different sets over a number of years. And unlike the barends of old, they don't increase the TT length by putting you out in front of the handlebar, just changing your wrist position and opening your chest. Personally I found them most useful on seated climbs.

The only real concern I can see with barends is the potential to hook them on trailside flora, but I can only think of a couple times that happened to me. In all of those cases, I would've bashed my bar anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just bought some ODI lock on grips. One of the best purchases I have made for my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    If you use bar ends, they should be almost level with the ground so it is hard to impale yourself.
    My rule of thumb was to point them at the BB. This put them at about 150deg. They need to be higher than your bars if you want to get extra leverage on climbs.