mtbr member
    Jul 2007

the BAD bike thread - newb's, start here...

It's not a big deal to simply pass over all of the "what bike?", "best AM bike?" threads. However, it is getting old seeing so many of them. Truth be told, how many truly "bad" bikes are out there now? Not many, I recon.

So, in the spirit of helping all the newb's out while limiting all the crap-sifting in this forum, list the bikes that you think really do/did suck a$$.

Newb's, if the bike that you're looking at ain't on this list, chances are that it's a fine machine and you should feel confident buying it assuming that it fits you and your budget.

I'll start it off...

The Salsa El Kaboing I had was an OK bike, in general, but the chainsuck was never ending and not isolated to my set up. Everyone had the same experience. Only buy one if you plan on going with a single up front. I dumped that POS quickly.

All other bikes I owned were either good or great.

mtbr member
    Spesh Epic and similar bikes. If you like it or similar bikes, go ride your road bike. XC Race and XC beginner bikes are worthless.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    glad you started this thread mnigro. last year i bought a bike that was bad for me. not a bad bike, but not what i was looking for. i have a transition bottle rocket built up as a mini dh bike. i have a steel 29er and wanted a full suspension bike that would cover trail to a little dh. the fit of this bike is too small for me and what i am used to.

i am a long limbed 6'2" and the bike is a large with a 24" top tube and 16" seat tube. i will be selling the tranny because it is more of a park and little trail. i really wanted a pivot firebird, but there are no dealers near me. i have been keeping an eye out in the forums and all of the knolly riders say the endorphin is way better. the advantages of the pivot is that i can sell the br frame and fork and keep the drivetrain, brakes, cockpit and wheelset for dh riding and still buy 27 wheels in a year or so to make it more trail friendly. i haven't read where endorphin owners have put 27 wheels on them.

i am looking for a bike that i can have fun on, that can pedal, and go to a dh park. i would like a coil front and rear. i weigh 215 and the tranny is set up at 42 pounds currently. i live in the phila,pa area where the trails are rocky, root and have short steeps.
    SOLD: 2010 EWR OWB 29er
    SOLD: 2012 Transition Bottlerocket

2013 Banshee Spitfire XL Red

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you guys are missing the point. for example, the Epic is a fine bike and can even be said to be a great bike for XC racing folks or those who prefer a stiff rear susp. The Speci brain, otoh, used to suck balls. not sure if that is still true.

The bottle rocket is also a fine bike. I believe it's a slope style or maybe 4x. either way, its not a trail or AM bike so it didn't work out for you.

My point of starting this thread was to name bikes that people should stay away from, literally. If there isn't a specific aspect about a bike you can refer to, it shouldn't be on this list; rear triangle breakage, pivot overhaul required too often, constant chain suck, some other manufacturing defect, etc.

The ultimate goal is to show new riders that there are very few bad bikes.

if you had/have one, list it and the reason it sucks.

mtbr member
    I wonder how many bikes will make the list

I two out of the four bikes I've owned would qualify; however, not for riding quality for durability issue. They were both amazing riding bikes...now you'd probably only see them used

Iron horse mkiii - super fun 5" travrl bike but the swingarm was a bit noodley and broke for me and a lot of other posters

Banshee rune v1- again amazing bike and almost hate to list it here but the bushing pivots (instead of bearings) became a massive headache for most owners. However Banshee redesigned the bike with bearings and a few other new features and the new Runes look so sick (def dont hesitate to buy a rune v2)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ^ bingo

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    this thread was doomed from the start
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    No such thing as a bad bike, only negligent owners.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, MKIII is simultaneously and amazingly good AND amazingly bad frame.

Personally, I found it have the most perfectly dialed geo and suspension of any bike I've ridden (including my current 5-spot).

Unfortunately, the rear end was super flexy, and both front and rear triangles were very prone to cracking. Combined with the company going belly up, this really sucked.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    the Epic is a fine bike and can even be said to be a great bike for XC racing folks or those who prefer a stiff rear susp. The Speci brain, otoh, used to suck balls. not sure if that is still true.
    imo it can make a really fun nimble trail bike too. the brain is meh, works fine but can be a little harsh.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    The only frame I really hated was my 2010 Marin Mt Vision. Hated the suspension action, the way it wallowed, some bearings were shot right out of the box, and Customer Service stunk.

Good LOOKING bike though.

the BAD bike thread - newb's, start here...-marin.jpg
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    The Trek Rig with sliding dropout; Truly, a bad bike. The geometry was fine, and the specs were fine. BUT The sliding dropouts do not hold chain tension for longer than maybe a mile of trail use... then your drivetrain goes all noodly along with the rear wheel going crooked. AND finally, far too many people reported issues with the rear wheel actually FALLING OUT while riding.

mtbr member

the BAD bike thread - newb's, start here...

Great thread idea. Haven't owed any bad bikes really. First generation bikes rarely work as well as the second.

Trek Y frames were awful. Stay away.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Haro Extreme series of bikes. Luckily they no longer make them, but they made them recently enough that there may be frames on the used market. I personally cracked my first frame, got a warranty replacement and promptly cracked that one.

the BAD bike thread - newb's, start here...-haro_metal_battlecat_2og30.jpg

They were marketed as an aggressive, what I guess we could call now all mountain/light freeride. But the rear triangle was just way too flexy (I swear I'm using that phrase correctly here). The tire would rub the seat stay so bad it wore the paint off both frames. The first one cracked at the single pivot connection point on the down tube. The second one cracked where the seat stay and chain stay meet near the dropout.

If you want a good single pivot in a tough package, pick up a Santa Cruz Heckler.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by James_spec View Post
    +1 on this, 100% agree...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Really, how can someone cause a frame to crack by being negligent?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    +1 on this, 100% agree...
    You obviously haven't owned a bad bike then.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    ^^ No kidding. Some bikes are just pure complete crap.

Kona Coilair with Magic Link. Link goes clunk and you know it works. Otherwise a mediocre climber and mediocre downhiller.

Rocky Mountain ETSX - flexy. Prone to break. Poor downhiller. Mediocre uphiller.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Newb's, if the bike that you're looking at ain't on this list, chances are that it's a fine machine and you should feel confident buying it assuming that it fits you and your budget.
    Or you could assume that it just wasn't named yet?

But I will play

Since it seems to be a popular low budget newbie bike.

Diamond Back Overdrive.
    Frame seemed weak from the get go.
    Light impact proved it.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There's some folks in the Chumba forum that would like to have a word with you.....

I'm SUCH a square....
    Anything Motobecane. I had one (X4B model, clone of KHS FXT) that had a misaligned rear triangle, caused torque in the frame when the suspension worked, and eventually broke the abbreviated seat tube in two places.

Budget frames from online retailers; Performance sells the Access hardtail, 26" & 29". I had one, split the seat tube right at a top tube gusset -- in about 8 months of COMMUTING.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....