Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Woods Ready
    Reputation: Harvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    242

    Back in and Looking

    I have been around a long time and out for a good while. I have ridden the same SC Superlight for something like 10 years. I'm riding alot more again and the SC is a tired ride.

    Now I'm bike shopping again. My friends with newer bikes have around 5" of travel and they seem to be really good at general trail riding, some jumping, climbing, etc...

    Looking around in the AM section here, these look like heavy long travel rides. Where do the 5"ish travel trail bikes fit in? The ones that climb relatively well too.

    If you guys wouldn't mind throwing me a bone and posting some bike names of bikes like that... I can start some research.

    Or if I need to look at a different section in the forum... well I'd like to know that too.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    77
    I think the Trek Fuel EX, and Giant Trance come to mind when I hear 5". Most of the 5" and 6" bikes are going to climb as good as an old 3" XC if not better.

  3. #3
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    To stay with a santa cruz bike, you could take a step up to the blur lt2.
    Thats a good climbing bike that can take some hits.
    My buddy absolutely loves his.
    I am personally about to get a nomad, but already have a lighter trail bike.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

  4. #4
    Woods Ready
    Reputation: Harvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    To stay with a santa cruz bike, you could take a step up to the blur lt2.
    Thats a good climbing bike that can take some hits.
    My buddy absolutely loves his.
    I am personally about to get a nomad, but already have a lighter trail bike.
    I know back a few years the Blurs had some bearing problems at the suspension linkages. At the very least they were ultra high maintenance. You buddy have any issues with that?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: client_9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    783

    +1 Blur LT

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
    I know back a few years the Blurs had some bearing problems at the suspension linkages. At the very least they were ultra high maintenance. You buddy have any issues with that?
    Linkage and bearings much improved.
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/tec...t2_bearing.php

  6. #6
    fan of maple syrup
    Reputation: nuclear_powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    I am personally about to get a nomad, but already have a lighter trail bike.
    My Nomad is (currently) my only bike. It is both my trail bike and DH shuttle day bike. Within a month I raced it in a 50km XC point to point, and then gave it two days of armoured up DH punishment. Exact same bike with no changes. Sure, a lighter XC bike would've perhaps suited the XC race more, but I still beat several friends and about 300 other people on lighter more suitable XC machines.

    The Carbon, which is lighter than my ALU version, would fit this broad range even better I reckon.

    I get the impression the BlurLT and the Nomad (in both construction formats) are quite capable bikes from XC all the way to shuttle days on DH trails. The choice is just a matter of which side you want to lean more towards.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: client_9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    783

    What he said.

    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered View Post
    My Nomad is (currently) my only bike. It is both my trail bike and DH shuttle day bike. Within a month I raced it in a 50km XC point to point, and then gave it two days of armoured up DH punishment. Exact same bike with no changes. Sure, a lighter XC bike would've perhaps suited the XC race more, but I still beat several friends and about 300 other people on lighter more suitable XC machines.

    The Carbon, which is lighter than my ALU version, would fit this broad range even better I reckon.

    I get the impression the BlurLT and the Nomad (in both construction formats) are quite capable bikes from XC all the way to shuttle days on DH trails. The choice is just a matter of which side you want to lean more towards.
    The Nomad is more "XC" capable than I imagined.
    My Blur was faster, but the Nomad is more fun.

    My baby:

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigfruits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
    Looking around in the AM section here, these look like heavy long travel rides. Where do the 5"ish travel trail bikes fit in? The ones that climb relatively well too.
    the lighter 5" travel bikes are sometimes called "trail bikes". besides the big names (Giant, Trek etc) id look into Transition Bandit, Banshee Spitfire, Yeti ASR-5 or maybe even Yeti 575 for a plusher ride. these have slacker head angles than the typical "XC" bike. i plan on test riding these before i make a choice.

  9. #9
    Woods Ready
    Reputation: Harvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    242
    I was able to test ride a few bikes today.

    Rocky Mountain Altitude 10 with a Fox Fork and upgraded components from the stock bike. About $1900
    I loved the ride.

    2011 Stumpy FSR Evo with a Fox 150mm fork, Seat post Adjuster... etc.
    Loved the ride... not the price $3500

    2011 Stumpy FSR Comp. Would be buying the 2012
    Decent ride. Better parts than the Rocky Mountain but didn't "feel" as good. $2100

    Trek 8. 5" travel trail bike with pretty average components.
    Just a bike. Didn't get me excited at all. $2400

    Thoughts on these bikes? What's the best bang for the buck? I like the FSR's tapered head tube, but does it make a huge difference?
    Last edited by Harvo; 08-04-2011 at 03:38 PM.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    582
    I have spent decent time on the Rocky Altitude and I think it is a phenomenal bike. I think it is near as perfect a bike if you need to pedal, sprint, climb and descend (not as good a descender as it is a climber..but thats 'cos it climbs so great). A true do it all and do it all well bike...and comfortable ergo-wise.

    trail/lite AM is what I call it

    And although their marketing slogan says it, you said it too!


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 03:16 PM
  2. Crest Rides Pushed Back - Way Back
    By Photo-John in forum Utah
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2009, 06:43 AM
  3. Moved My Seat Back ~ Now My Back Hurts!!
    By PanicFan77 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-30-2007, 10:54 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-05-2007, 04:15 AM
  5. Replies: 71
    Last Post: 10-07-2005, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •