Woods Ready

Back in and Looking

I have been around a long time and out for a good while. I have ridden the same SC Superlight for something like 10 years. I'm riding alot more again and the SC is a tired ride.

Now I'm bike shopping again. My friends with newer bikes have around 5" of travel and they seem to be really good at general trail riding, some jumping, climbing, etc...

Looking around in the AM section here, these look like heavy long travel rides. Where do the 5"ish travel trail bikes fit in? The ones that climb relatively well too.

If you guys wouldn't mind throwing me a bone and posting some bike names of bikes like that... I can start some research.

Or if I need to look at a different section in the forum... well I'd like to know that too.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think the Trek Fuel EX, and Giant Trance come to mind when I hear 5". Most of the 5" and 6" bikes are going to climb as good as an old 3" XC if not better.

Dirt Deviant
    To stay with a santa cruz bike, you could take a step up to the blur lt2.
    Thats a good climbing bike that can take some hits.
    My buddy absolutely loves his.
    I am personally about to get a nomad, but already have a lighter trail bike.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Woods Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    To stay with a santa cruz bike, you could take a step up to the blur lt2.
    Thats a good climbing bike that can take some hits.
    My buddy absolutely loves his.
    I know back a few years the Blurs had some bearing problems at the suspension linkages. At the very least they were ultra high maintenance. You buddy have any issues with that?

mtbr member

+1 Blur LT

Quote Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
    I know back a few years the Blurs had some bearing problems at the suspension linkages. At the very least they were ultra high maintenance. You buddy have any issues with that?
    Linkage and bearings much improved.
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/tec...t2_bearing.php

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    My Nomad is (currently) my only bike. It is both my trail bike and DH shuttle day bike. Within a month I raced it in a 50km XC point to point, and then gave it two days of armoured up DH punishment. Exact same bike with no changes. Sure, a lighter XC bike would've perhaps suited the XC race more, but I still beat several friends and about 300 other people on lighter more suitable XC machines.

The Carbon, which is lighter than my ALU version, would fit this broad range even better I reckon.

I get the impression the BlurLT and the Nomad (in both construction formats) are quite capable bikes from XC all the way to shuttle days on DH trails. The choice is just a matter of which side you want to lean more towards.

mtbr member

What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered View Post
    My Nomad is (currently) my only bike. It is both my trail bike and DH shuttle day bike. Within a month I raced it in a 50km XC point to point, and then gave it two days of armoured up DH punishment. Exact same bike with no changes. Sure, a lighter XC bike would've perhaps suited the XC race more, but I still beat several friends and about 300 other people on lighter more suitable XC machines.

The Carbon, which is lighter than my ALU version, would fit this broad range even better I reckon.

I get the impression the BlurLT and the Nomad (in both construction formats) are quite capable bikes from XC all the way to shuttle days on DH trails. The choice is just a matter of which side you want to lean more towards.
    The Nomad is more "XC" capable than I imagined.
    My Blur was faster, but the Nomad is more fun.

My baby:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
    Looking around in the AM section here, these look like heavy long travel rides. Where do the 5"ish travel trail bikes fit in? The ones that climb relatively well too.
    the lighter 5" travel bikes are sometimes called "trail bikes". besides the big names (Giant, Trek etc) id look into Transition Bandit, Banshee Spitfire, Yeti ASR-5 or maybe even Yeti 575 for a plusher ride. these have slacker head angles than the typical "XC" bike. i plan on test riding these before i make a choice.

Woods Ready
    I was able to test ride a few bikes today.

Rocky Mountain Altitude 10 with a Fox Fork and upgraded components from the stock bike. About $1900
    I loved the ride.

2011 Stumpy FSR Evo with a Fox 150mm fork, Seat post Adjuster... etc.
    Loved the ride... not the price $3500

2011 Stumpy FSR Comp. Would be buying the 2012
    Decent ride. Better parts than the Rocky Mountain but didn't "feel" as good. $2100

Trek 8. 5" travel trail bike with pretty average components.
    Just a bike. Didn't get me excited at all. $2400

Thoughts on these bikes? What's the best bang for the buck? I like the FSR's tapered head tube, but does it make a huge difference?
    Last edited by Harvo; 08-04-2011 at 03:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have spent decent time on the Rocky Altitude and I think it is a phenomenal bike. I think it is near as perfect a bike if you need to pedal, sprint, climb and descend (not as good a descender as it is a climber..but thats 'cos it climbs so great). A true do it all and do it all well bike...and comfortable ergo-wise.

trail/lite AM is what I call it

And although their marketing slogan says it, you said it too!