IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004

New question here. Back of calf protection?

Hey Folks-

Did a quick search on the various knee/shin guard threads and didn't find much in the way of discussing back of calf protection. I'm going to make the switch to platforms for this season and want to use knee/shin guards that will also protect (to some degree) the back of my calf from pedal smacks. Advice?

Thanks,

Michael

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have 661 4x4 pads, and they wrap around the back also, not padded but the nylon does help reduce scratches anyway. They don't have solid cups like some others though, but decent for most AM/FR use, and light to carry.

Here is one listing:
    http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...6&MatrixType=1
    bonus that they aren't that expensive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Core Rat

Check out the Core Rat Knee/Shin guards. They have an optional calf wrap that's thin, but strong. It should ward off pedal pins pretty good.

ride hard take risks
    Almost all knee/shin guards wrap around the calf to secure, not a problem. With flats the most common injuty is the shin & that dang spot of ankel that is exposed bellow the shin. Slaping the calf with pins on flats is rare & the securing straps tend to protect enough back there. Strap on & go ride.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

it's....
    And there's a lot more meat on the backside, you can lose some and still ride!

mtbr member
    the best calf protection is a good pair of shoes and pedals. If your feet don't slip off, your calves won't get munched....and if they do you suck it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I used to get impaled by my pins ( i.e. the area between the top of the ankle and the bottom of the calf) nearly every ride. Most time, I did not even know how it happened.

Anyway, I decided to ditch my low rise socks for crew length socks (to the calf). I still get bitten every know and then. NOWHERE near as often as in the past.

When I go to Target, REI, or any good sports goods store- I look for socks that are thinner in the foot area and thicker in the upper area part of the sock. I'm telling you- it works!!!

I am also fairly certain the taller socks have saved me (a few times) from Poison Oak......

Glad to Be Alive
    raceface or roach (the same company) get the DH pads
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SVSocrates
    Hey Folks-

Did a quick search on the various knee/shin guard threads and didn't find much in the way of discussing back of calf protection. I'm going to make the switch to platforms for this season and want to use knee/shin guards that will also protect (to some degree) the back of my calf from pedal smacks. Advice?

Thanks,

Michael
    Check out these

DMR

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    raceface or roach (the same company) get the DH pads
    I have the Race Face version. JENSON has sweet discounts on the ROACH pads. Good Luck! http://www.jensonusa.com/search/?s=r...&btnSearch.y=0

What are the differences between the Race Face and Roach pads? Strap? Mesh?

Bionic Mtn Biker
    661 Veggies:

They wrap entirely around your calf, but still breathable and non-restrictive. Protected me from many a pedal smack.
    Better than he was before. Better. . . Stronger. . . Faster. (but not smarter)