mtbr member

Back from 29 ready for fun.. But which Frame.. Bronson, Enduro, SB66C

I recently have decided to switch back to a more "fun" bike and am selling my niner. I am looking at some frames and I want a poppy, short chainstay i.e. 16.5-17 or low 17, slack bike.

For those who have ridden 29,650b, 26 is a 650b bike any less flickable or less easy to manual than a 26?

My list
    S works enduro frame
    santa cruz bronson
    yeti sb66c

I just dont want to buy a 650b and it isnt as fun as a 26" bike

Will I notice a difference from the specialized 16.5" chainstays to the bronsons 17.3?

mtbr member
    its not all about wheel size dude.

What sort of fun are you looking at having on it?

Id say the most playfull "all mountain" bike would be one of the many 26" hardtails

evil,cotic,ragley,on one, and chromag

mtbr member
    Obviously looking for a 6" travel bike..

mtbr member
    How about a Banshee Rune, it has interchangeable dropouts so you can alter your geometry and can run either 26 or 27.5 wheels without swapping out the whole frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just built up a SB-66c and totally love it. Came off a TranceX1 and felt a bit limited on that bike. The Yeti takes everything I dish at it.

brownpow! (?)
    Super happy w/ my 6.5" Foes FXR, 16.9" chainstays. My '11 frame is pretty slack, especially w/ the 170mm fork and 1 angleset
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Will I notice a difference from the specialized 16.5" chainstays to the bronsons 17.3?
    Or a Kona Honzo 29 @ 16.3" ?

The problem with your current bike likely isn't the wheelsize...assuming you're talking about the sir9.

mtbr member
    As for the 650b, I thought it felt more like a 29er, in terms of being a bit sluggish. I didn't think it rolled as well as a 29er though. So the worst of the three, for me, by far.

I had the opportunity to demo a FS 26, FS 650b, and 29er HT on the same hour-long singletrack loop in a day. The 26 and 29er were both great (I ended up buying a Yeti ARS-5) and the 650b was my least favorite of the bunch.

Of course, it could have been the bike or the rider and had nothing at all to do with the wheel sizes.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Or a Kona Honzo 29 @ 16.3" ?

The problem with your current bike likely isn't the wheelsize...assuming you're talking about the sir9.
    Chainstay length is not the whole story of why a bike feels fun or how easy it is to manual. BB drop (or rise) is every bit as important. This is why a 29er with a 16.3" rc will still feel harder to get up than a 26er with 17" stays assuming the same bb height.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    Chainstay length is not the whole story of why a bike feels fun or how easy it is to manual. BB drop (or rise) is every bit as important. This is why a 29er with a 16.3" rc will still feel harder to get up than a 26er with 17" stays assuming the same bb height.
    The OP is looking for a bike with "16.5-17 or low 17" chainstays.

What you are saying can be true, but does easy manualing = fun?

My point is that the OP could stick with his 29'er hardtail format, drop a full inch off the chainstays, get more travel and a slacker head angle. Sounds like more fun to me.

The bikes mentioned all sound great too, but they are really polar opposite from a SS 29'er with racy XC geometry. I think the real question is what kind of riding? Having the right geometry for the style of trail & riding is going to make way more difference than wheelsize. Agree that chainstay length is only a small part of the picture.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    The OP is looking for a bike with "16.5-17 or low 17" chainstays.

What you are saying can be true, but does easy manualing = fun?

My point is that the OP could stick with his 29'er hardtail format, drop a full inch off the chainstays, get more travel and a slacker head angle. Sounds like more fun to me.

The bikes mentioned all sound great too, but they are really polar opposite from a SS 29'er with racy XC geometry. I think the real question is what kind of riding? Having the right geometry for the style of trail & riding is going to make way more difference than wheelsize. Agree that chainstay length is only a small part of the picture.

I suppose I didn't edit my post closely enough. I didn't intend to equate the two except he was looking for something that manualed easily (well or I inferred that). I do agree the Honzo looks like a fun bike. Though my definition may not be the same as everyone else.

And I'm with FM, perhaps you could elaborate on what fun is to you? It helps to give better suggestions in respect to frames, geometry and suspension types.

mtbr member
    Yea i tried to ask him what was "fun" ridding.

He came back with. a 6" bike..... so who knows

If i had to guess he wants six inches of fun

What ever that means

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! All other things equal, small changes in CS length are very noticeable.

16.5" chainstays with 6" of rear travel is fun no matter what youre riding

EDIT: oh and I forgot to say: On behalf of 26" wheel riders everywhere, Welcome Back!

mtbr member
    Im really leaning towards an Enduro..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Enduro, Evil Uprising or Rocky Mountain Altitude 790. Last one is a 650b but with super short 16,8" chainstays.
    With the Evil and the Altitude you will get full carbon frames which should be very playfull too.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    My 2013 Enduro is my favorite bike I have ridden. It climbs well and comes down amazing. Everying Specialized says they improved with this bike is no joke, It pedals better than my Stumpy did. Prior bikes and bikes I have spent time on: 12' Enduro Evo, 11' Stumpjumper Evo, 11' Reign X, 13' Remedy, 2007 Enduro SL..
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Nothing but good things about my 2011 Enduro. Yeah it's built by the walmart of mountain bikes but specialized got it right with this frame and there's no denying it. It's climbing ability is acceptable but its descending ability is top of its class. I've ridden/owned nearly all 26" AM bikes and the enduro is a massive standout when the mountain goes down. I too, sold my 140mm travel 29er in favor of a 26" bike.

An adjustable travel fork is recommended on the enduro for extended climbs, it's a pretty slack bike. Even with the adjustable fork, I often get beat uphill by my friend who rides a remedy, but when things down, the odds are in my favor. For how I ride, I wouldn't have it any other way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    How about a Banshee Rune, it has interchangeable dropouts so you can alter your geometry and can run either 26 or 27.5 wheels without swapping out the whole frame.
    This would be my suggestion also. Or maybe even a Spitfire with a 160mm fork. Sub 17" stays, and the KS suspension is the tits. I regularly ride my Prime with people on XC race bikes, and I'm able to keep up on the climbs.

Rune | Banshee Bikes: DH Race, Freeride, All Mountain, Trail, Slopestyle, DJ/Street/4x, Aggressive Trail, Cross Country
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Or - playing devil's advocate (isn't 29 the number of the beast?) - consider Enduro 29.
    There are indications that it might be the first aggressive big wheeler done right... I personally will most probably go that way. I am happy owner of 2010 Enduro and from my testing of existing 29-inch bikes it looks like for "backcountry" riding big wheels when combined with big travel and short rear end may add to excitement, not detract from it. Being 6'5'' tall makes geometry limitations easier for me to overcome though...

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I also love the enduro (2012).. its so fun to ride I don't know why they didn't name it the Funduro.. slack, low, short chain stays and affordable.. what more could you ask for..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin