Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Avid7 Vs Hope hydraulic brakes

I'm riding a second hand Yeti ASR 5. The alloy model with a carbon swingarm. It's running some kind of Avid7 brake setup, (sorry, but I don't know what type exactly) but there is no modulation whatsoever. They are fairly strong, thus, why I spend the whole ride locking up and sliding. You either brake and stop hard, or you wing it and almost lose control. I was wondering if switching to Hope would be an improvement. I have read that they aren't the strongest brakes, (in some people's opinion) but I have read that they are very user friendly to setup and maintain. I was thinking a stealth race evo M4 up the front, with a 180mm rotor. And a stealth race evo X2 at the rear, with a 160mm rotor. Possibly some braided cables. I'm only a lightweight, weighing in between 65-68kg. I'm not the most aggressive rider just yet, but some of the XC trails around here can get pretty fast. I'd like to get some opinions on whether you think I'd be stepping up in moving over to Hope, or whether I'm moving backwards to something that will cause some braking issues in the future.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would take just about any brake over a set of Avids. Right now I think that bang for
    buck the new Shimano XT brakes are the best thing going.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The XT's are also on my possibles list. I've heard some really good things about them. And what's appealing about them, is that they literally half the price of the Hope stuff. Do you run Shimano rotors for better compatibility? For my personal riding needs, I'd be considering a 180/160 rotor setup.
    The Avids that came on the Yeti are horrible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I always run the same make rotor as brake. The 180/160 rotor
    sounds good. Most of my riding is XC so I usually run 160 front
    and rear. However if I did more or longer downhill's I would use
    a 180 in the front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I was thinking of some XT-Saint RT-86 Ice Tech rotors.
    Awesome. Most of my riding is XC, too. I have a couple of friends into downhill, that always seem to detour through some DH/FR burst runs on the XC trails. Having a 180 in the front for me would increase the versatility of my riding with them just that tad more.

mtbr member
    I'd definitely support the 180mm rotors (front and back) with XT brakes. They are every bit as powerful as the top end Formula brakes, have great modulation, and don't overheat. Mineral oil is also a HUGE plus over having to use DOT brake fluid. I have ridden lifts with mine at Deer Valley, and I'm a big guy. Zero fade all day with the M785s and Ice Tech rotors. Best do-everything brakes I've ever used.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Mineral oil is also a HUGE plus over having to use DOT brake fluid.
    How is that?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i like my hopes. reliable, powerful and easy to service. yes you have to muck around with dot fluid by i like how its pretty cheap and easy to get a hold of.

mtbr member

Re: Avid7 Vs Hope hydraulic brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    How is that?
    DOT fluid is corrosive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's good to know that they are really easy to service. Are you running Hope rotors? I'd be curious to know whether there is any brake fade. When I was looking at Hope rotors, they seem to be made a little thinner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    There isn't really much helpful info on this forum. But there are some good points about both. DOT fluid vs. mineral oil

mtbr member
    XTs with formula rotors on one of my bikes. Very impressed and just over $100 without rotors on multiple websites.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I would take just about any brake over a set of Avids. Right now I think that bang for
    buck the new Shimano XT brakes are the best thing going.
    +1 for the Shimano XT, definitely the best I ever tried...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Xt

I have XTs and XTRs, for what XTs are going for on the internet you will not beat them. They can handle just about anything, great feel and power. I can feel a little difference between the brakes I have but not enough to justify the cost of my XTRs.

I do use Shimano rotors as well, just seems right

By the way I have used Avid XX, XO, Elixir 7, Juicy Carbon (best Avid brake I had) and Elixir 3s, most of which I would have gave away after using Shimano.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Shimano XT, no further discussion needed.

banned
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Shimano XT, no further discussion needed.

I agree.

No further discussion needed if you have to settle for XTs and can't swing the Hopes and enjoy better modulation, better power, better fade resistance, better ease of service, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Re: Avid7 Vs Hope hydraulic brakes

I use a hope normal rotor in the back n god knows what in the front. Nothing noticeable on like 3 to 4 min descents. I'm using m4s

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You wont regret having to settle for XTs.

b a n n e d
    If better modulation is the goal, then XTs are not the way to go. I have several years on a Hope M4/X2 setup, and have tried the new XTs and XTRs on several bikes and they are decent brakes (unequivocally better than Avid), but they pale in comparison to Hope's when it comes to modulation.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

banned
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.D View Post
    You wont regret having to settle for XTs.
    Yes. he would be settling for XTs vs. running the Hopes that he was considering.

Despite your post, there is no question after having ridden bikes with both braking systems.

Just the facts...

(insert inane smiley/emoticon here)

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I have owned (not just 'tried') both Hope Tech Evo M4s and whatever the current gen XTs are. I found both to have equally good modulation. I much prefer the lever throw of the XTs so I sold the Hopes. I really wanted to like the Hopes as I'd previously run Mono Minis, and lost money selling off the M4s.

I've 'tried' several bikes with various flavours of Avid Juicy brakes, and as a result would never spend money on them.

I do not believe that it's necessary to match rotors with calipers. After all, rotors all have steel surfaces and you can run various aftermarket or organic/metal pads. Maybe, just maybe, the Shimano Ice Tech stuff helps on long descents, but not enough for me to notice. I run Shimano and Hope rotors and in the past also had Avids.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks heaps guys. I will most likely be going with a set of XT's. Not only are they like half the cost of Hopes, they sound like the one to pick if you're putting a new brake system on a bike. I really appreciate the feedback and help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Masked Avenger View Post
    I agree.

No further discussion needed if you have to settle for XTs and can't swing the Hopes and enjoy better modulation, better power, better fade resistance, better ease of service, etc.
    Perfectly said.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If you're still toying with the idea of the Hopes, I guess you've checked prices on different sites? Best deal I found on my Tech 3 E4/X2 setup was on UK sites. Got mine from Cycle Sports UK and have been very happy so far. Only can compare to my Hayes Stroker Trails though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You will be happy! And you will have extra cash for another upgrade!

Brakes are like politics, you will find a lot of different opinions, I'm bias towards Shimano just cuz I have had trouble or was dissapointed with all others. Just the same with others being Hope fans. Hope brakes are nice and you would be happy with both, but since you have to settle for XTs you will be ok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast