mtbr member
    Dec 2013

New question here. Avid 160mm disc rotor fit to Shimano M395 Brake.

Hi... i had just upgrade my bike from mechanical disc brake to hydraulic disk brake... Problem is when i go to bicycle to install my Avid 160mm disc rotor with my Shimano M395, the worker tell me that the my Avid disc rotor cant be fitted in with the M395 brake. What can I do to fit my Avid disc rotor with Shimano M395 Brake?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Assuming your existing rotors are in good condition, not wavy, not pitted; the same rotors should work fine as long as you use the original post adapters that came on your bike and make sure any alignment washer/bushings that came with the new brake calipers are used. A 160mm rotor should have the same outer diameter across all brands (not counting for any fancy "wave" pattern). Since they are used, I would take a fine grit sandpaper (240 grit or higher, preferably something up in 480 or 1000 grit) and lightly rub them from the center out to the edge to remove any existing nastiness. Wipe rotor and brake pads with rubbing alcohol and try not to touch the surfaces. Once assembled, do a proper disc brake burn-in.

If you have problem with side-to-side rubbing, just re-adjust the caliper positioning. Lots of posts on how to do it. If you experience rubbing on the outer edge, a few washers should easily provide clearance (not familiar with the M395 and any height clearance issues they have).

If you're still having issues, let us know what brakes you took off, bike model/year, and what the problem is. It'll be an easy fix, just need to know what's wrong. and pictures never hurt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I use Avid HS1 160mm rotors with Shimano SLX brakes without any issues.
    Since Shimano doesn't make a M395 specific rotor in 160mm what fits a SLX will fit for a M395 and an Avid HS1 or other model will work fine.
    Do your own install or at least lineup by squeezing the brake with the caliper loose and hold while you tighten the mounting bolts.
    You may want to find another bike mech.