Paste eater

Avg. head tube angle 4 a trail/AM bike?

68.5 degrees? what do you think?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Average is about 69 degrees

I like a slack head angle to give better downhill control.
    The downside your cornering is slower on tight and very twisty tracks, I can live with that.

I think cross country bikes are 70-71 degrees.Freeride bikes are around 67-68.Most AM is 69. Check the frame geometry as that depends on the fork travel the frame recommended for.

Amazing that there is only a few degrees difference! But combine forks short stem etc to give a different ride.

Good riding

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
    I like a slack head angle to give better downhill control.
    The downside your cornering is slower on tight and very twisty tracks, I can live with that.

I think cross country bikes are 70-71 degrees.Freeride bikes are around 67-68.Most AM is 69. Check the frame geometry as that depends on the fork travel the frame recommended for.

Amazing that there is only a few degrees difference! But combine forks short stem etc to give a different ride.

Good riding
    My jamis is 68.5 3/4, seems just perfect except on UBER steep climbs -- but I can grunt through those. Just curious what others ride...

I already rode that
    Depends on the amount of front travel you want so it would vary between like what flyingkiwi said.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Yeah, about 69 degrees. That was my ultimate setup on my 5in bike. Right now I am on about 67deg trail bike and it makes tech uphills more effortless as the front wheel is just waiting for a nod to pop off the ground, and the smooth uphills require only a slight weight shift forward. The real reward comes on fast downs.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho