Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Aussie members, i have $5500 what AM bike?

So i have 5500AUD to spend on a new full suspension AM ride.

I'm not riding huge drops etc at the moment, but do ride some smaller ones and want to have the ability to ride the heavy stuff.

Must be a good climber, the guy i ride with has a more cross country orientated bike and i need to be able to more or less keep up with him in the uphill.

I would rather buy something with a good spec than pay more for an expensive frame and low spec.

Prefer Sram over shimano shifters/derailuer

My local bike stores stock Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Giant, Avanti

I am so far tossing up between a Giant Reign 0 or a Trek Remedy 8

The Giant is only 3999 and comes with a good Spec (X.0 rear, X.9 Triggers, Race face Dues XC Cranks) Fox32 Talas, Avid Elixir CR HD brakes, Mavic EN521 wheels. I could then use the spare money to buy some new bars, Adjustable seat post and a new helmet. But i dont really want a white bike and the website only seems to offer white.

The Remedy is 4999 and comes with a XT Shimano groupset which im not super keep on (I just much prefer is SRAM shifting) Fox32 Talas RL, Elixir R Carbon HD, Bontrager Rhythm comp Wheels. this then leaves me 500 to buy an adjustable seat post and a few odds and ends. LBS says if they had a similar spec SRAM bike they would swap the gear over for me, but at the moment they dont.

I like the remedy frame and colour better (yes i know this shouldnt matter)

however i havent ridden either yet as the stores are trying to get in demo models.

I origionally wanted a santa cruz nomad buts it just going to be too expensive.

any thoughts?

Nicko

FeeRideRules
    Apr 2009
    here's the link to the aussie giant site

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/...ow=performance

reign 0 is white
    reign 1 is blue
    ILIKENORTHSHOREANDICANNOTLIE
    glory, glory hallelujah...

any1 guess what bike I ride?

I AM I AM
    Value for money I think Giant will be hard to beat.

For Santa Cruz check out the AM Duallies on www.tbsm.com.au

Specific link is below, seems to be maybe just out of your budget with the Sram X9 spec, but maybe you could negotiate down to X7?http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_pa...oducts_id=3587

Also if you're considering looking at 2nd hand bikes, forums like Rotorburn are good to keep an eye on.
    http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/forum.php
    or HTF if you're over in WA
    http://www.hucktoflat.com/htf/smf/
    Last edited by ducktape; 02-20-2010 at 02:21 AM.

I AM I AM
    Impressive spec for the money on this one!

http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_pa...oducts_id=2848

But I must say I'd probably rather a Giant than a more "boutique" type bike, particularly if buying new as so much value is lost after the first ride (just like cars), well unless of course the sale price is just too hard to pass by.

mtbr member
    PM me, I could save you about $1500 !!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    other aardvark you have a PM

thanks for the suggestions guys. and yeah the Giant seems like such a good deal! i guess ill know when i ride one.

got 2 weeks of holidays from work starting a week from now. so im hoping to have the new bike by then, fingers crossed,

mtbr member
    Give Phantom Cycles a ring. They'll sort you out with a good deal on whatever you want.

If it were me though, and it was last year, i'd save a bit more and go for a Pivot Mach 5 or a Pivot Firebird.

The Giants are excellent value though and will be hard to beat.

I AM I AM
    +1 for Phantom Cycles, I've never purchased a bike off them but have purchased a reasonable amount of other stuff. Definitely a great store with excellent service and fast postage. One of my favourites for sure.

But you're in Qld aren't you? I haven't dealt with them for quite some time now but For The Riders is in QLD and seems like a good store from the dealings I've had with them a few years ago now.

www.fortheriders.com.au

I AM I AM
    Oh since I've figured out you're in Qld (according to your profile), I used to frequent this forum back when living in Darwin and then Townsville. A great bunch of people and worthwhile posting your thread up there too (if you haven't already).
    http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/forum
    Pretty sure it would still be Brizzy based, so probably a good one if you want to find some people to hook up for local rides wherever you live.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I won't speak on the Giant's behalf because I haven't ridden one, but the Trek I do have some ride time on - and holy sheet, it is a very, very good bike.

I had the pleasure of taking it for a ride up the local State XC course and then bombing down the State DH course, which was absolutely ideal for this bike.
    Keep in mind I was on the '09 model with a beefy 160mm Lyrik, instead of the 150mm Fox forks that come on the 2010.
    The bike is very efficient to pedal, no qualms there - and I'm used to riding a 100mm duallie but I never felt like I was pedalling something bigger when I was on the Remedy.
    It makes you look like a much better rider, I was making lots of bad line choices (up and downhill) and the Remedy would just motor over the top of them and continue to build momentum.

The suspension design is stunningly simple, and with the quality of Trek frames, I would be quite happy knowing it was going to last me a long time. The other benefit of Trek is you get a lifetime warranty on the frame, but unlike Giant the warranty is still valid if you enter into events or races - not a deal breaker for everyone, but something to think about nonetheless. I tend to ride a few of the more casual events (going to do Buller Fest) and this point is quite important for me.

The bike seems to really hit the "all-mountain" tag it's going for, and with the 2010 models, even more so. It has a great set of wheels (even though Bontrager don't have a great name) which give the bike the direct and stiff steering through the rough stuff, that are light and wide.
    The ABP system works, and even with my sh!t-scared approach to downhilling with my hands firmly on the brakes most of the way down, the rear suspension was never stiffening up under braking. When we were hitting some particularly hairy rock gardens, this made a big difference to me staying on the bike and not heading into the trees.
    I also like the Full-Floater approach, as it gives a very bottomless feel to the suspension. At the end of the ride the little sag O-ring was off the shock, but I had never heard a clunk or felt the shock bottoming out.
    With Trek and Fox being owned by the same conglomerate, they have managed to get a really nice tune on the shock that works well with the frame too. No funny linkage ratios or wheel paths either, which gives a consistent feel.
    This is probably quite specific, but if you have a bit of experience with duallies then you will find a difference between the two designs.

If your priority is getting the best spec for the money (which you stated in the OP) then you've already selected the Giant I'm sure.
    But as you know there is a bit more to how a bike rides than what rear derailleur or carbon handlebar it has, and it's up to you how you invest your money.
    I would argue that it's cheaper to upgrade/swap components on a bike down the track than it is to buy a new frame, so getting the best riding bike from the start should be your priority.
    After riding the Trek, I am obviously heavily biased as I had a ripper time on it.
    I would love to get some saddle time on the Reign as a comparison, but have a bit of an idea after riding Trances and Anthems.

Did you end up finding out if you have the chance to test ride both bikes?
    Do you know what size you are after?
    What have you been riding previously?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey man,
    I am not sure if you are willing to buy online, but if you are... Well, then there is a lot more options. Larry, from Mountain Cycles, I know for a fact ships worldwide. Just my 2 cents...
    If you are buying from him I would definitely look into a Knolly Endorphin. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi Guys.

Yes i am from QLD, Live on the Sunshine Coast, about an hour from Brisbane. I had totally forgotten about the MTBDIRT forum, what a good idea.

Little willy, thanks for the great insight into the trek

Its funny someone mentioned the firebird. theres one at my LBS and they are discontinuing Pivot bikes in 2010 and said they would sell it to me for cost price. shame its a large frame.

i really need a medium 17ish size.

ill check out a few websites but really i dont want to buy a bike i havent ridden and if i test one at a bike store locally id like to give them my money.

Havent gotten a test ride yet as its still the weekend and everyone is closed on sunday. hopefully get something sorted out on monday, fingers crossed.

I AM I AM
    Lol it's the same here in WA, everything is closed on Sunday, even the local supermarket (in smaller towns anyway)!

mtbr member
    I will never tell a person what bike to ride, but if I had $5,500 dollars. i would have a new Ibis Mojo HD with XT kita nad upgrade the wheels to Crank Brothers Iodine.

Erik

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you have a c'dale dealer, you should give the rz140 / rize a ride. It's a pretty solid bike, capable of handling AM abuse and a sweet climber.
    Go for a lefty model, it's worth it and better.
    I dunno **** about exchange rates, but this is the shizzle: http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...Forty-Carbon-2
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mtbr member
    For that kind of money,stay away from giant and trek! You should do yourself a favor and go after the legendary Santa Cruz Nomad.The VPP suspension climbs like a mountain goat and is incredible downhill.If you cant get one,also check out the Ibis Mojo HD,I have not seen one yet but hear its a standard Mojo on steroids....Those 2 choices would be well worth your money...

Go back to school
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    With Trek and Fox being owned by the same conglomerate,
    Uh Trek works with Fox but I don't think there owned by the same parent company...If I'm wrong I would like to know who the company is.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX
    For that kind of money,stay away from giant and trek! .If you cant get one,also check out the Ibis Mojo HD,...
    SocalMX - Unfortunatly down here in Aus, $5500 would only get you the Mojo HD Frame and maybe a fork.
    Defcon Cycles - Brisbane Australia

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    TBSM Can get me a Blur LT in X.9 Build

Fox Talas 32 150mm adjustable
    Fox RP23

how would this bike fare in the rougher stuff? how far behind the Nomad is the Blur?

mtbr member
    Blur LT if majority of your riding is brisbane trails.

6" dually is an overkill really. The Blur will do the job very nicely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Why Brissy trails? basically my riding is mostly the more technical end of XC with some log rides, small drop offs etc. i want something thats tough enough to handle a few feet of drops and small jumps etc without being too heavy.

the blur is at the upper end of what i can spend buts looking very attractive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitto
    Blur LT if majority of your riding is brisbane trails.

6" dually is an overkill really. The Blur will do the job very nicely.
    I second that.

mtbr member
    nothing in se qld is really technical [well maybe some parts of Nerang, Parklands, Tewantin & Castle Hill] that warrants a 6" travel bike. alot of the trails have been dumb'd down thanks to the trail care guru's.

a 5" trail bike like the Blur LT is perfect. you want something light enough to do long climbs on, but will handle great on the way down.

I am switching out from a Reign 6" dually to a Ragley Bluepig HT to see how it handles the type iof riding i actually do instead of the riding i dreamed i had the ability to do.

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitto
    the type iof riding i actually do instead of the riding i dreamed i had the ability to do.
    Ha ha, mee too! I realized a proper DH bike doesn't necessarily make me a good n proper dh rider! It was probably a hinderance as I couldn't go fast enough to use it to it's full or real ability!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I doubt you would go to wrong with the Blur. I am currently going through the same dilemma. The only other thing that puts doubt in my head is the Remedy.
    That being said I am planning to build the bike I spend the next 5 - 10 with so i am looking at the Carbon models. I would dearly love to get some ride time on both to better make a decision. I wonder if you can get the Remedy carbon as frame only over here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast