Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Ardent 2.4 front Highroller II 2.4 Rear???

I've been wondering whether or not this would be a good setup for some all mountain riding. I rode a Bronson with Highroller II s front and rear and they didn't slip once while descending some rocky/rooty downhill
    I'm running 2.25 Ardents front and rear and have been pretty happy with them, but its the more technical downhill where I wish I had more tread.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I'd probably flip that around and run the HR2 up front and Ardent in the back. HR2 will have much more consistent grip in all conditions and the Ardent will roll faster out back.

DHF front and Ardent Rear was a great combo on the one ride I had set up like that.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I'd probably flip that around and run the HR2 up front and Ardent in the back. HR2 will have much more consistent grip in all conditions and the Ardent will roll faster out back.

DHF front and Ardent Rear was a great combo on the one ride I had set up like that.
    I have a similar setup. 2.3 Butcher SX (it's a DHF clone but with softer rubber and a bit wider than the 2.35 DHF) and a 2.25 Ardent rear. Great setup for tires.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post

THIS!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I ride an ardent 2.4 exo up front with a 2.35 3C high roller II out back and it is perfect. Running 26PSI on the Ardent and 30 on the high roller

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    +4 for the HR up front and Ardent in rear.

mtbr member
    I run a 2.4 HRII up front and a Spec. Clutch 2.3 rear.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    May 2013

My Bronson is set up with the HR2 up front and an Ardent rear..... Love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've got an Ardent 2.4 up front, and a Ground Control 2.1 in the rear. Its a good set up. There's really no reason to go 2.4 in the back. Its just more weight to pull around and will bog you down on the downhill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions... To me the Highroller just looks like a back tire, but I guess not, and the reason for the 2.4 in the rear is because there is just too many rooty climbs in my area. And compared to the ardent how does the Highroller II climb?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I live in Arizona where its all loose over hard pack. There's never any grip unless you make it. Its probably one of the hardest places to climb. I long for rooty dark dirt climbs where pebbles don't fly out from underneath. I still advise not to go 2.4 in the back. You really really don't need it. Just run a lower psi like 28 or if you can 25. Just make sure you don't go too low and get a sidewall failure.

Also i dont see the Ardent being a good rear climber.

mtbr member
    May 2013

I ride in NW Arkansas and everything has roots and rocks. I rode the HR2 for about two months and it just felt really heavy and sluggish. Put the Ardent 2.25 on the back of the Bronson and it really woke it up. I run 25 psi.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop5 View Post
    I ride in NW Arkansas and everything has roots and rocks. I rode the HR2 for about two months and it just felt really heavy and sluggish. Put the Ardent 2.25 on the back of the Bronson and it really woke it up. I run 25 psi.
    I'm contemplating the same combo, HRII 2.3 front with Ardent 2.25 or 2.4 rear (650b here also)..
    How is the width of Ardent 2.25 compared to HRII 2.3 under gunned at all?
    The Ardent 2.4 might be too large compared to HRII 2.3 and not be a significant weight/rolling improvement..?

To the OP HRII front and Ardent rear would be my first instinct also..
    Although as I've only ridden HRII front and rear can't say from experience, but Ardent should be faster rolling and less grip....

Just not sure about best size match no matter which front/rear combo.
    Last edited by ptd; 07-29-2013 at 08:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptd View Post
    I'm contemplating the same combo, HRII 2.35 front with Ardent 2.25 or 2.4 rear (650b here also)..
    How is the width of Ardent 2.25 compared to HRII 2.35 under gunned at all?
    The Ardent 2.4 might be too large compared to HRII 2.35 and not be a significant weight/rolling improvement..?

To the OP HRII front and Ardent rear would be my first instinct also..
    Although as I've only ridden HRII front and rear can't say from experience, but Ardent should be faster rolling and less grip....

Just not sure about best size match no matter which front/rear combo.
    I am on 650bs. Went from 2.25 Ardents front and rear to 2.3 HR2 front, 2.25 Ardent rear. Much more confident cornering hard with the HR2 up front...still rolls nice out back with Ardent. two thumbs up.
    The

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    HR2 2.4 up front and Ardent 2.25 rear.
    Killer combo
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Def HR2 or even DHR2 front and ardent rear. Or HR2 f/r, or DHR2 f/r, or HR2/DHR2. You'll have way more confidence getting the ardent off the front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I cant understand how anyone can run a 2.25 ardent on the rear in anything but moderate terrain. When I try running a 2.25 on the rear I lose traction on almost every climb on my local trail no matter what PSI I use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm using a 2.1" low end Ground Control Sport on the rear in loose over hard pack at 28 psi and I find enough grip to climb the advanced uphills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok HR2 up front but I still think I want a 2.4 in back... is the rolling resistance worth the climbing ability?
    Like I said earlier there is a lot of climbs with tons of wet roots where you need more then just momentum to get over

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    No. Width will only really improve cornering and increase rolling resistance and weight. Worse, its rotational inertia at the largest radius of your wheel. You want to go as thin as tolerable on the back because if this.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So the logical choices are:
    Front HR2 2.3 / rear Ardent 2.25 - my choice so far, 2.3 front is big enough on my 160mm bike for 3 hr rides.
    Front HR2 2.4 / rear Ardent 2.4 - might be ok but bigger and heavier for trail riding maybe for lift assisted type stuff.
    Front HR2 2.4 / rear Ardent 2.25 - on paper is odd size combination?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How about a 2.25 Ignitor in the rear? I think its a better rear tire than the Ardent. I much prefer my Ardent in the front (but I'm using a wide 2.4" in the front).

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The wider the tire the bigger the knobs is what I was thinking would help with climbing, The knobs on my friends ardent 2.4s are twice the size of my 2.25

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Your contact patch won't really include the knobs. If I'm visualizing this correctly the side knobs will be "along for the ride" until you start cornering.

Can you run tubeless? Then the bigger rear tire could change things since you could run a ridiculously low psi and widen your contact patch.

Ive never used one but with roots, I could imagine the DHR2 being great since it has those horizontal bars of grip right in the contact patch area. However these bars will create considerable rolling resistance. This is just speculation of course. Haven't ridden one yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WillT19 View Post
    The wider the tire the bigger the knobs is what I was thinking would help with climbing, The knobs on my friends ardent 2.4s are twice the size of my 2.25
    Ha yeah I have a 2 2.25 ardents and a 2.4 and they are completely different tires. I wish the ardent 2.25 had as aggressive and big of knobs as the 2.4.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast