mtbr member

Anyone using the Urge All-M helmet?

I am looking for a new helmet to replace my aging Giro Athlon - tried on one of the Urge All-M helmets and was super impressed with the fit I actually prefer how it fits my head VS the POC trabec i tried on). Build quality looks really good in it as well.

My biggest concern about it is the cooling - it appears to have decent sized vents, but I am curious how others like it - the climate that you typically ride in , and what previous helmets you have used in comparison.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Nevermind - before I did this thread I used the "search" feature for Urge threads and it came up with nothing.

Fortunately, after I created this thread the forum then provided "similar threads" and contained threads that I wanted in my original search

This really is looking like a good option, at a good price ($135 CDN)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    I am looking for a new helmet to replace my aging Giro Athlon - tried on one of the Urge All-M helmets and was super impressed with the fit I actually prefer how it fits my head VS the POC trabec i tried on). Build quality looks really good in it as well.

My biggest concern about it is the cooling - it appears to have decent sized vents, but I am curious how others like it - the climate that you typically ride in , and what previous helmets you have used in comparison.

Thanks in advance!
    I tried on an Urge. It fit well and was comfortable. I read several reviews and all of them suggested that it didn't cool well. I went for the POC or the 661 Stealth instead. I think it depends where you live. Here in Colorado it wouldn't cut it in the summer. But it would have been perfect for Germany where I lived for a while year round.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    I just replaced my Giro Hex helmet for the Urge All-M, I tried a few on and nobody had the new A1 around. But I felt that it was going to be a good one. I live in the pacific northwest (Victoria) and I actually think it might be too much cooling for winter riding! I am very happy and impressed with it and glad that I got it. I don't know if I will like the big hole in the visor when the sun starts to shine, but that can be fixed. I also paid $135 at MEC for it.

Cheers,
    Scott.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It's a pretty good helmet. Very light. But aint gonna cut it in the summer here in California. Ill use it as a winter helmet and go back to my 661 or Giro for the summer. The Urge just doesnt cool very well.

RideDirt
    I love mine coming from a fox flux .... fits so good and comfy. Does a decent job on cooling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dorkboy View Post
    I just replaced my Giro Hex helmet for the Urge All-M, I tried a few on and nobody had the new A1 around. But I felt that it was going to be a good one. I live in the pacific northwest (Victoria) and I actually think it might be too much cooling for winter riding! I am very happy and impressed with it and glad that I got it. I don't know if I will like the big hole in the visor when the sun starts to shine, but that can be fixed. I also paid $135 at MEC for it.

Cheers,
    Scott.
    Perfect, I am in Vancouver, so very similar weather - will be hitting up MEC real soon.

Grams Light Bikes
    FYI: The All-M failed to passed the CPSC test, so they're not for sale in the US.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    FYI: The All-M failed to passed the CPSC test, so they're not for sale in the US.
    True, but the All-M passes the CE1078 (European) standards/tests.

I would be very interested to know which part(s) of the CPSC test that it had problems with (or if Urge even attempted to get it certified to CPSC?)

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    I bought mine in the US ... ? Hmm wtf this is not cool .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    I bought mine in the US ... ? Hmm wtf this is not cool .
    Dont go getting all concerned - CPSC is only one testing standard, just because it is the standard for USA does necessarily not make it the best.

Do me a favor with your helmet - look on the inside of it and see what sort of a certification sticker it has (CSA, EN, ASTM, CPSC, Snell B90/B95 etc)

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    True, but the All-M passes the CE1078 (European) standards/tests.

I would be very interested to know which part(s) of the CPSC test that it had problems with (or if Urge even attempted to get it certified to CPSC?)
    Urge did try and get it certified, but it failed. The CPSC certification is more stringent then the CE1078.

I can ask my contact at the Urge US distributor about what may have failed during the test, but I doubt he is privy to it.

My buddy worked on getting Met helmets CPSC certified, and it costs an enormous amount of money to get everything tested, and if it fails, the helmet needs to be redesigned, and this sort of iteration is costly. They weren't able to get the Met Parachute past the CPSC. I am sure Urge decided it wasn't worth the effort for the one helmet?

As noted you can get the helmet in Canada.

FYI: I love my Urge Endur‑O‑Matic helmet.

RideDirt
    Oooopss ! Sorry i got the helmets mixed up lol , i actually have the Enduro matic .. Sorry

Tire Geek O_o
    As an engineer, having lived and worked in Germany /Austria I came to realize that most times CE standards are actually more strict than many american standards.

Dont worry about CPSC , if its got the CE cert, then you are safe.
    http://32spokesmtb.com - Promoting MTB & cycling from Mexico to the World!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesalec View Post
    As an engineer, having lived and worked in Germany /Austria I came to realize that most times CE standards are actually more strict than many american standards.

Dont worry about CPSC , if its got the CE cert, then you are safe.
    Been using my urge-am for a while now - it is awesome - fit my head perfect, and I am really impressed with the cooling.

Tire Geek O_o
    How hwas it been for you with your AM? I just received one to analize and test.
    At first looks I am impressed of it, I am a bit weary of the sizing, the S/M fits me snuggly, but I felt that if I upsize it will be to big.

We already had the problem with the 2014 IXS Trail Rs another helmet that comes only in 2 shell sizes, the S/M didnŽt fit at all, while the L/XL did fi but it was HUGE.

Will be testing the AM tomorrow in around 39°C heat, so at least weŽll find out pretty quickly if it ventilates well =)
    http://32spokesmtb.com - Promoting MTB & cycling from Mexico to the World!

Weapon of Choice
    Ive used the Urge helmet for a while and as it does fit well, the ventilation sucks.

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    even if it didnt pass the american standards, no need to worry,my Urge All-M passed a real life test last week, when after trying a drop for a first time, I picked up ridiculous speed on the landing in wetter conditions, steered of course right into a tree. Banged my head fairly hard, but didnt feel a thing, no bruises nothing, the helmet really prevented some serious damage and still looks fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've been wearing mine since early season. I like it. I can't say it ventilates better than my others (fox flux/stryker) because I can't really tell. I think it might? But I don't really know since I'm a sweaty bastard anyway and there's not a helmet made on this planet that would reduce or prevent that. (That IS an open challenge to any helmet manufacturers by the way - I'd be happy to beta-test)

I can say the fit is very comfortable. I normally fit an average M sized helmet but I guess the french have tiny heads so I have a L/XL with this one. I found the best fit was mixing the pads up; thick front/thin rear or vice versa, and it fits great, no movement, no sliding, perfect I'd say. Going back to my fox helmets I immediately notice how they are much less comfortable - due mostly to the sporadic pads/shapes I'd wager.

The only thing I've noticed is my gangsta pad is splitting at the seams and I had to have my wife sew it back together for me. Can't get the se in the US easily so $30+ shipped for a replacement pad set is a little sucky.