Colorado

Anyone using the Maxxis Larsen TT?

I just picked up the 2.35 60a for real cheap. Thinking of throwing one on the rear tire to start. Currently using Minions here in Colorado...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yep. They were on my bike when I bought it last year. They seem to work really well on dry hardpack. Not so much on slightly moist, tacky stuff. But that could just be due to my poor riding abilities or the tires finally showing wear. They seem to be pretty durable...only one flat in a year. Haven't had the opportunity to try them on any super-technical trails but they've held up great in the rocks and roots I've been able to find (not much tech stuff in my area).

I'm with stupid
    they are a quick rear tire, good for the super hard trails in colorado. Just watch for rocks i ate threw two sidewalls on a few front range trails.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    I ran the 2.35 on the rear for awhile. Great tire. Surprisingly it grips really well and drifts well and predictably when it does let go.

Didn't really seem more or less durable than any other tire... eventually ripped it wide open trying to gap a rock garden on the Telluride world cup course.
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

mtbr member
    Run on the back of all my bikes.

2.1 folding is friggin' fast, but not massively grippy, even on dry trails I can make it skip about.

2.35 folding is a great all rounder. Paired up with a High Roller on both, they work well together and make a bike that grips fairly well on everything even if other tyres would be better on specific surfaces. They drift nicely too, more predictably than something like a Small Block 8 (also tried) which tends to grip, grip, crash.

In mud it's... surprisingly good actually. The tread isn't terribly deep, but it puts a lot of it one the ground so even in really slippy deep English mud it finds some traction. Clears easily too, I know in CO you don't need to worry about that but it'll make you feel better all the same.

The Dual Ply versions are much tougher than the singles, which (as said above) can tear quite easily.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I currently running the 26x2.0 UST Larson TT in the back. As stated its crazy fast but not as stable as my last rear tire that was 26x2.4. I have some 26x2.4 Nobby Nic's on the way. I miss the extra width in the back of the bike...the 26x2.35 might be way better?
    My front is a UST 26x2.35 ignitor which I'm also not that crazy about...the UST tire are heavy!!! Here's a couple of Pics.

mtbr member
    2.35 Larsen 60D rear w/ 2.35 Minion DHF 42D is by far my favorite "all mountain" combo for mostly dry CA trails.

The Larsen rolls fast and grips surprisingly good on a wide range of surfaces (not mud). It's not a tire for inexperienced riders who tend to "panic brake" on steep chutes or mash pedals rather than spin on the climbs.