MC MasterShake

Anyone use DH tubes on their AM rig?

Just curious. I keep on getting flats no matter what pressure or what tire I use. I had better luck with UST tires but I hated the lack of tire choice.

banned
    Apr 2006
    What's a tube?

FishZapper
    I definitely dont. I dont even use DH tubes for DH. In my experience they are MUCH heavier, and NO BETTER at preventing flats. A thorn goes through them just the same, so does a pinch flat or sharp rock.

Think about it...its just a little sheet of rubber...being slightly thicker wont really stop something sharp enough to penetrate it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Definatly...I run them in the back. I had 4 flats in 2 weeks and decided to go ahead with the DH tubes...I run them in my DH rig full time definatly need them out here...the shale and rocks are nuts...

Tom

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    stan's

Still lost
    I do...DH tubes have more durable for me. And I HATE changing flats...
    [SIZE=3]
    "Yesterday is the past,
    Tomorrow is not guaranteed,
    For today, we ride"
    [/SIZE]

Your bike is incorrigible

nope

I never run them. I've had one pinch flat in the last two years (now watch me go out and get a flat tomorrow).

What kind of tires are you using? You say you've tried different tires, but does that mean XC, DH and FR? I always run tires that are meant for either DH or FR just because they have thicker sidewalls. And I never run more than 40psi in the rear (25-30 up front).

Meh.
    DH tubes help prevent pinch flats for me, plus the regular tubes don't like being stretched to 2.75 or so. Around 2.4, they stop holding up very well. For a lighter solution, you can try the heavy duty tubes instead of the DH tubes.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    For a lighter solution, you can try the heavy duty tubes instead of the DH tubes.
    I've got four Kenda Heavy Duty XC tubes now. So far no problems.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Don't skid
    DH tube are way to heavy. I don't even run on my DH bike. Regular old XC tubes work fine for me.
    Hey XSL_WiLL, you run 2.75's on your AM ride? That's huge.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    I used to pinch flat all the time. then I got stans. problem solved

MK_
    carpe maņana
    What weight tubes do you run now? If they are in a 100g range, they are pretty much disposable. I've had excellent experience with Maxxis welter weight tubes. I highly recommend them. Very highly.

What you can also do to prevent pinch flats is to take an old, flat tube, and cut it all the way around on the outer edge and cut out the valve stem. Then put your new tube into the cut tube and put it into the wheel so that the old tube sits inside of the rim, between the new tube and the rim. It is as good as running a DH tube for pinch flat resistance.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Just curious. I keep on getting flats no matter what pressure or what tire I use. I had better luck with UST tires but I hated the lack of tire choice.
    I've almost always run lite tubes. Right now I run Conti MTB Lites I don't find they flat any more than standard thickness tubes. Maybe DH tubes would be better, but I don't get flats very often, and DH Tubes would weigh a lot more than my extralite tubes.

FWIW, I weight 190lbs, run Kenda 2.35 tires with 30psi in the front and 35psi rear.

mtbr member
    Yes, 2.8 and 2.5 DH tires and DH tubes. Haven't had to pump up the tires since my ride left the showroom floor at the LBS almost 2 months ago. Before each ride I just give the tires a squeeze, yep feels good to me. Something I couldn't do with 2.1 - 2.4 lightweight tires and standard tubes.....was always pinch-flatting, ripping out sidewalls and generally having to add air before each ride. Don't know what it is, but these beeatches hold air like nobodys bidness.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Maxxis tubeless rim strips with Stan's latex. Went from getting flats every week to nothing in 9 months. And can run whatever tires you want.