Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

anyone use a 29er for all mountain

just curious i test rode a niner jet nine and a niner rip niner and they were great but of course it just a parking lot ride, how do these 29ers work in the all mountiain catergory? any brands can be mentioned...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have been riding 29er's for about five years, and my full suspension is a 4x4. It is a great bike and I have ridden it in all sorts of different terrain (Moab, BC, etc) but my 4x4 is set up very XC. I recently bought a Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC and have also enjoyed that bike a lot. I will be riding the Slayer for the first time in Moab in a few days and can't wait. My 29er felt a little on the light side of things in the rockier, gnarly terrain of Moab. But, a suitably built 29er would be great (Rip 9, Turner Sultan, 9er WFO, Lenz Behemoth, etc).

The thing that got me to get back on a 26" wheeled bike was tire selection, fork selection and overall weight. My Slayer with a Fox 36 and XT/Mavic wheels weighs about 33lbs. When I can afford to I will lighten up the Slayer with new wheels and possibly cranks and a Fox RP23 but even with the upgrades it will still be in the 31 pound range. If I built up a 29er that was comparable to my Slayer in terms of travel and suitable tires it could very well be 35+ pounds, or more depending on the build. If you are not to worried about climbing on a heavier bike you could love a "bigger" 29er.

Another thing with 29er's is the gearing. With the larger rollout of a bigger wheel, comparable gearing will feel heavier than on a 26" wheeled bike. On my 29er's I am running an ISIS BB and an older 5 arm Race Face crank that allows me to use a 20-30 granny and middle ring. With that set up the gearing is close to a 26er. Again, it comes down to what you are looking for in the bike.

There are definitely some very, very good riders out there doing all mountain/ freeride type riding on 29er's, just not that many.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    The only 29er i feel is all mountain is the niner RIP9.
    ventana el chucho is a nice 69er all mountain bike...i feel the 29 front 26 rear fit more in the all mountain style of bikes.

mtbr member
    I have a feeling we will start seeing a lot more 29ers on the AM forum once the Niner WFO is for sale

wait...what?
    thats a sick bike

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    29ers are for phat azzes

never ender
    All the mountains I ride, I ride on my 29er. Ergo, all-mountain.

not so super...
    Some 29'r bikes make great all-mountain bikes.

the 2008 version was quite good too

Nothing to see here.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Some 29'r bikes make great all-mountain bikes.

the 2008 version was quite good too
    i agree they do, now show some pictures of bikes that qualify

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    29ers are for phat azzes
    You must have gone on a diet then . . . .

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I have a feeling we will start seeing a lot more 29ers on the AM forum once the Niner WFO is for sale
    Leverage ratio... when are manufacturers gonna get it and spec longer shocks on these things.

Otherwise it looks pretty slick. I'd consider a 29er at some point in the future but 26 works fine for me now.
    Bike good, work bad.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Lenz make some pretty burly 29'rs, this one has 6" of rear travel

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    You must have gone on a diet then . . . .
    good point....i did start drinking Joe Weiders weight gainer and have put on a whopping 75 lbs which almost brings me to the average 29er rider weight

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfish
    I have been riding 29er's for about five years, and my full suspension is a 4x4. It is a great bike and I have ridden it in all sorts of different terrain (Moab, BC, etc) but my 4x4 is set up very XC. I recently bought a Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC and have also enjoyed that bike a lot. I will be riding the Slayer for the first time in Moab in a few days and can't wait. My 29er felt a little on the light side of things in the rockier, gnarly terrain of Moab. But, a suitably built 29er would be great (Rip 9, Turner Sultan, 9er WFO, Lenz Behemoth, etc).

The thing that got me to get back on a 26" wheeled bike was tire selection, fork selection and overall weight. My Slayer with a Fox 36 and XT/Mavic wheels weighs about 33lbs. When I can afford to I will lighten up the Slayer with new wheels and possibly cranks and a Fox RP23 but even with the upgrades it will still be in the 31 pound range. If I built up a 29er that was comparable to my Slayer in terms of travel and suitable tires it could very well be 35+ pounds, or more depending on the build. If you are not to worried about climbing on a heavier bike you could love a "bigger" 29er.

Another thing with 29er's is the gearing. With the larger rollout of a bigger wheel, comparable gearing will feel heavier than on a 26" wheeled bike. On my 29er's I am running an ISIS BB and an older 5 arm Race Face crank that allows me to use a 20-30 granny and middle ring. With that set up the gearing is close to a 26er. Again, it comes down to what you are looking for in the bike.

There are definitely some very, very good riders out there doing all mountain/ freeride type riding on 29er's, just not that many.

Hope that helps.
    Did ever have any issues with your shoes hitting the front tire while turning? In case you didn't know, Shimano is coming out with a 12-36 cassette for 29ers.

bike rider
    If your idea of AM includes jumping and "play riding" I'd think that 29" wheels would feel awkward. 650b might be a good compromise but still won't be as quick as 26ers.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    The added stand-over height from the bigger wheels and the typically limited suspension travel compared to most 26" all-mtn MTB's almost defaults the most accomodating AM/freeride designs to a smaller wheeled bike. Higher BB also means they won't rail as hard in turns as bikes with lower BB's.

That being said, I'm sure there are plenty of 29'er riders who can out-AM/freeride me anyday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    The added stand-over height from the bigger wheels and the typically limited suspension travel compared to most 26" all-mtn MTB's almost defaults the most accomodating AM/freeride designs to a smaller wheeled bike. Higher BB also means they won't rail as hard in turns as bikes with lower BB's.

That being said, I'm sure there are plenty of 29'er riders who can out-AM/freeride me anyday.
    Taller wheels doesn't mean the BB is any higher, instead the BB is lower relative to the axles. This also means the rider's weight is lower relative to the axles, and you can probably guess what that does for railing turns

(not trying to prove "superiority" of 29ers, just clearing up a misconception)

bike rider
    The BB to axle measurement has no effect on cornering. This was discussed at length when 29ers came out. This measurement only has an effect on wheelieing and endoing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    The BB to axle measurement has no effect on cornering. This was discussed at length when 29ers came out. This measurement only has an effect on wheelieing and endoing.
    Oops. Looks like I have my own misconceptions, lol

Either way, the BB height does not have to be higher just because its a 29er

bike rider
    Even Gary Fisher had this misconception and it sounded good enough that a lot of us believed it. Some geek used physics and diagrams to prove it wrong.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Leverage ratio... when are manufacturers gonna get it and spec longer shocks on these things.

Otherwise it looks pretty slick. I'd consider a 29er at some point in the future but 26 works fine for me now.

The 07-08 Sultan was 2.7:1 The 09 is 1.88:1 How much lower do you need?
    Nothing to see here.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    The 07-08 Sultan was 2.7:1 The 09 is 1.88:1 How much lower do you need?
    Hmm, I guess I was thinking they had more travel. Those shocks look like they have nothing for stroke, maybe it's the air cans. Nevermind! I'd take 1.88:1 any day of the week.
    Bike good, work bad.

Captain Underpants
    . . .

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Hmm, I guess I was thinking they had more travel. Those shocks look like they have nothing for stroke, maybe it's the air cans. Nevermind! I'd take 1.88:1 any day of the week.
    I would too, except not on a Turner

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    good point....i did start drinking Joe Weiders weight gainer and have put on a whopping 75 lbs which almost brings me to the average 29er rider weight
    You need to start posting in the 29erClyde forum then, I hear that's where all the 29er riders end up. the AM forum is for poseurs anyway

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast