Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone tried the new SixSixOne Evo Lite Gear yet?

I'm looking for something to protect and keep my knees warm in the winter and protect myself in the summer as well. I don't 'kneed' some plastic cupped super duper protection but it wouldn't be bad to have something there as I normally just wear shorts (in the summer). These look pretty nice and I'm wondering if anyone has some riding time on them and maybe a crash or two for protection results??? They sure are expensive.

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Ive received yesterday, but I dont ride with them, yet ...They feel very light and comfortable...

squish is good
    I want some bad! But like you said, they are expensive and I've already got knee and shin guards that work fine. I put a pair on at the LBS and walked around in them, they feel really really comfortable but I haven't ridden with them at all.

The non-Newtonian behavior is brilliant for padding, I remember reading about this stuff about 5 years ago in Popular Science, it was an article that came right after the GT internal transmission DH bike. Funny because they never mentioned mountain biking as a possible use for the material, I believe it was being touted for Ski beanies to make them more protective in a crash.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have both elbow and knee and they're great. The knee ones in particular are very comfortable and you barely know you're wearing them.

Elbows are good but they do slip down a little on very rough sections so you need to keep them tight.

As for crashing, haven't tested that but I have whacked them against a wall and they do as they say........

mtbr member
    I'm interested in how others think of these pads. and maybe how they compare to the non lite ones... Is it worth the extra $?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I want a pair to wear while skiing. I need something thin, light & comfy and I think these might be the ticket.

Nothing hurts quite like hitting your knee on a rail or when you ski ejects and connect with the patella!

Would it be a good choice?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridewithchucky
    One drawback for the XC version is that it comes in only two sizes (as opposed to 4 in the bigger version). I have found the L/XL size to be a bit too large - it holds, but I am not convinced. I prefer a slightly tighter fit, - for Kyle Straights L size fits perfectly.

I do not think they will stay in place for skiing - and probably for skiing the ventilation and lightness is a bit less critical.

Try them on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    One drawback for the XC version is that it comes in only two sizes (as opposed to 4 in the bigger version). I have found the L/XL size to be a bit too large - it holds, but I am not convinced. I prefer a slightly tighter fit, - for Kyle Straights L size fits perfectly.

I do not think they will stay in place for skiing - and probably for skiing the ventilation and lightness is a bit less critical.

Try them on.
    I cant try them on, nobody has them here in MTL. If they stay in place for biking, they should stay in place for skiing. I think theres less constant knee movement required for skiing and the movement range is also smaller. Anyways, they cant slide down too much, they will hit my boots. My knee/quads are huge, I tried on the regular evo knee pads in large and they were too tight.

mtbr member
    If they stay in place for biking, they should stay in place for skiing.
    They are not covered with pants when biking, so pulling them up is possible. On the other hands you could cover them with some thin tights so they are held in place.

I think theres less constant knee movement required for skiing and the movement range is also smaller.
    I did not find that to be the case for my skiing, quite the opposite. Move movement, and much more abrupt when you hit some moguls. Obviously your results may vary.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just getting into riding, and was dreaming up a breathable, light pad, instead of the motorcross pads iv been using! Then I see these in my Mountain Bike Action Magazine. They exsist!
    This is the first article iv read on them so far, everyone seems happy withthem, But no reposts on a bail yet...?
    Any updates?
    Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    I went to my LBS last week to try the EVO lite knee and elbow pads on.
    Personally, I found them exactly as advertised: They were lighter, thinner and easier to put on as they have the hook and loop system (so can be put on without taking off shoes). Its winter time now so I can't tell but it looks like they would be cooler to ride with during hot summer days than other pads on the market.
    However, I felt less protected along the sides as the pad thickness wasn't as much as the previous EVO pads. Also, the strap system they have felt less comfortable and less secure on me than the regular EVO pads. You may feel otherwise as our extremity types are different.
    I ended up ordering online the non lite EVO knee and elbow pads for myself as they were cheaper, felt like they fit better, felt more comfortable and offered more protection on the side areas. After I put some rides in, I'll post my review of them
    Happy riding!
    Last edited by panda-man; 02-16-2009 at 11:46 PM.

Tire Geek O_o
    does anyone knows the sizing charts of these?

mtbr member
    I've been using the EVO Lite XC knee pads for three months. I weigh 190, have pretty thick legs and the large size still fits a little loose. They feel great on long rides and hill climbs. The front is covered in lycra so freeride/downhill abuse would probably kill them quickly.
    Last edited by Eddie Mudster; 04-09-2010 at 09:45 AM.

usually cranky
    I want a pair to wear while skiing. I need something thin, light & comfy and I think these might be the ticket.

Nothing hurts quite like hitting your knee on a rail or when you ski ejects and connect with the patella!

why is your ski ejecting on the rail? sounds like you should worry about your din/ forward pressure more than your knees.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    why is your ski ejecting on the rail?
    I do not think that he said that. There is an "or" in that sentence.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    I do not think that he said that. There is an "or" in that sentence.
    oh, you are a good reader.

mtbr member
    Bumping this thread to get some updated opinions. Thinking about getting these for single track use.
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Tire Geek O_o
    I use the Evo gloves, and they are comfortable in almost all conditions! I like them, I was about to buy the eve knee pads, but at the end I decided for the Fox Launch since the back side of the leg in the Fox´s is open, while the 661 are not...

mtbr member
    Just got the knee pads, after banging up both my knees. They are very short, so the straps are close to the joint behind your knee, which is kind of annoying. However I'm starting to get used to them and they feel pretty good. They gotta be better than nothing but I doubt they'll protect as good as some realy knee pads. Once I tried them on though I knew they were pads I would actually wear all the time. Anything bigger and I could see myself leaving them at home for typical trail rides. I don't mind wearing these all the time (so far)

mtbr member
    I've been riding in a set for a month now. Super comfortable, stay in place, but I haven't tested them in a crash. To me I can't imagine them being protective enough for DH racing or FRing, but for trail riding I think they will suit most riders needs. They've been perfect for cold mornings.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    They are very short, so the straps are close to the joint behind your knee, which is kind of annoying.
    Yeah, that bugs me also. It would be nice to have a loop system like on the regular Evo knee pads in the link below. I've been thinking about adding my own, maybe with a velcro strap.

http://www.sicklines.com/2008/12/15/...-d3o-evo-pads/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My wife uses them and likes them quite a bit. I think they are perfect for general trail riding where there is a bit more danger spots thrown in--i.e. use them when you don't expect to fall but want to have some protection in case you do. I wouldn't use them for anything more high risk than that.

mtbr member
    Well I pulled the trigger on a set of the sixsixone EVO d3o Lite XC knee and elbow pads, should have them Friday. I'm also looking at the Fox Launch PRO and the Race Face Flank pads, might buy them too and compare.

Too bad I can't find a local bike shop that has these in stock. It would be so much easier to compare instead of spending hundreds of dollars and shipping stuff back and forth.

sixsixone EVO d3o Lite XC

Fox Launch PRO

Race Face Flank
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

mtbr member
    I bought them this winter and they were pretty nice and comfy. I haven't been wearing them BUT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. In fact, I'm pretty sure I will be as soon as the scabs are gone but it would hurt too much to put them on right now. The swelling went down after a couple of days and now there's just three little scabs where rocks were embedded in my knee pretty deep. It was gross, I had to pick them out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the new SixSixOne Evo Lite Gear yet?-kneea.jpg  

Anyone tried the new SixSixOne Evo Lite Gear yet?-kneeb.jpg  

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I bought them this winter and they were pretty nice and comfy. I haven't been wearing them BUT SHOULD HAVE BEEN..
    Umm, yeah dude, your knee doesn't look happy.

So I have tried both the Fox Launch PRO and the sixsixone EVO d3o Lite XC knee pads. I also bought the 661 EVO d3o Lite XC elbow pads. I didn't bother with the Race Face Flank knee pads, the shin protection doesn't go low enough for me (platform pedals).

The Fox is definitely bulkier because of the hard pad, thicker neoprene material, plus it has side knee protection where the 661 has none. I wore one of each on my knees and dropped on my knees a couple of times on my hardwood floors. Surprisingly I didn't feel much difference in impact between the two pads. The 3do does work, at least in this non scientific controlled environment. But I have my doubts if these were rocks instead - I just can't believe the d30 pads would offer better protection.

I'm going to keep the 661 pads since I'll actually wear them. The Fox offers better protection but are too bulky and probably hot for my warm weather XC riding. The 661 are very comfortable, though I haven't put any real trail time in them yet.

BTW the sixsixone elbow pads have the same strengths (and weaknesses) of their counterpart kneepads. There is a difference though, the elbow pads have a rubber edge around the inside of sleeve which helps keep it in place (in addition to the velcro strap). The rubber digs into my skin and feels a bit too tight, like a rubber band of sorts. The next size up would be too big for me though. I'm going to wear the elbow pads around the house and see if it will stretch a bit.

I'll update this thread after I get some real trail time with these pads but so far sixsixone EVO d3o Lite XC pads are looking good!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast