Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    I own the Fox Launch Pro... wearing them in the Miami summer heat and barely feel em... and great protection as well!

... and they look badass :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I tried on the RF Flank's over the weekend and I did not like them at all. I have 661 Evos and the neoprene is stretching/tearing so I'm looking to replace. The Flank knee pad is much stiffer than the 661, and it does not follow your body movement well at all. If I straightened my leg, it just bunched up in front of my knee. I'm bummed because they look pretty sweet, but I really didn't like the way they felt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have been riding the new fox launch pros for a few months and they are great! They look bulky but the looks are deceiving. They are light, don't get too hot and best of all, I really don't notice them after 10 min of riding. They are now on my knees for 90% of my rides.

I have given them two crash tests thus far and the outer-lining has proven very durable. The protection of them was never in question.

I'd give them a 9 out of 10 since nothing is perfect and they could use a size between the s/m and l/xl.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    old thread, but i was hoping to see if anyone knows of other knee sleeve/pads that are like these sixsixone Evos...lighter ones that are not bulky and more for trail/xc than downhill?

Tire Geek O_o
    I mostly ride All Mountain, and I used not to wear anything at all, I mean why would i wear protection riding up, right?, well, I do ride aggressively downhill, so I found my self carrying Troy Lee Combat protections just for the downhill, those are great protections, but basically only for DH. it was ridiculous to stop and put them on, and then take them off, and put them on, because you cannot pedal at all. I was looking for something lighter and with good breathability, I Like the 661s but ended up on the Fox Launch because lets face it they are much cheaper than 661s. Or they were when I bought them.

All I can say, is they are great! Now I put them on when I start the ride uphill, and leave them there until I get back down, they are light, great protection and they dont feel hot at all, after a year on them the only complain is that sometimes there seems to be something inside in the back that stings my leg, funnily I havent found what

I would highly recommend this, they are plain great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starry
    old thread, but i was hoping to see if anyone knows of other knee sleeve/pads that are like these sixsixone Evos...lighter ones that are not bulky and more for trail/xc than downhill?
    You could try the 661 "Veggie". Very XC/AM and are just thick neoprene. No magic putty inside. I like my Evo Lite's but like the guy above said, they can be uncomfortable on the back side here and there, especially the elbow guards.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i love my evo lite xc's, never leave home without em. although i haven't had a chance to try them in the summer heat yet.

i've crashed a few times and been very thankful that i was wearing these pads. some direct knee-to-rock hits too. the pads are such that they won't totally insulate you from the impact, you will still "feel" the hit, but it dissipates the strike to the point where you shouldn't bruise from it or be feeling pain afterwards. for straight up high speed downhill i would want something beefier, but these are perfectly fine for riding normal speeds where pedaling is required.

i would definitely buy them again. yes they are expensive, but if it means you will wear them in almost all conditions, then it is worth it. it's much cheaper than getting a cheap pair and not wearing them because they are too hot or bulky, and then getting hurt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've finally wised up and started padding up. Even though I rarely go down, I just realized its not worth the risk and the forced time off from doing what I love, riding my bike.
    Even on pretty basic rides, I slap on the pads, I want my body to last as long as possible.
    I had the Evo lites, while the fit of the elbows kinda sucked, the knees are pretty comfy. The protection they offer is kinda slight.
    When I decided to "commit" to padding up, I went for the POC Joint VPD in the knee and elbows. They are worth every penny. I go on three hr rides with them, that includes lots of climbing and pedaling, and I don't really notice them. I was anticipating a major adjustment period, but there was really none. Aside from being comfy they offer a great protection too.

Tire Geek O_o
    I agree, that for XC, you should go with the evo light, is more than enough, if you are riding more agressively downhill, get something beefier... as the guy above said, sometimes its better to look ridiculous (but just abit ) and be protected than get a blow when you least expect it and spend days/weeks off the saddle.

The POC protection systems are amazing, and...amazingly hard to find and amazingly expensive, but hey, they have the perhaps best skull protection system, apparently proven and it makes somehow sense. They are as expensive as Troy Lees though..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have the knees, bought them for XC riding. I have Launch Pros for AM riding and rockgardn neos for DH

Overall I like them but the sizing is pretty bad. Im 6'2" 210 pounds, and have really big sprinter's legs. The L/XL is still a bit to big for me, the velcro straps wrap around too far and they arent as secure as I would like. I wrecked in them on monday and they did slip down pretty easily. I have welts above and below my knees but my knees are fine so i guess they still did their job.
    Im still glad they make them though, there are no other good flexible breathable XC options. I just wish they would fix the sizing.

The launch pros are amazingly comfortable and pedalable, they are just a tad bit too bulky and hot for regular xc riding. certainly do-able though and the protection and fit is better
    Last edited by Evan55; 04-07-2011 at 07:49 AM.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

re member
    I went from 661 evo (not the lites) to the POC VPD. Both elbow and knee. They are for sure expensive, but I think they are worth it. Very comfortable to wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

usually cranky
    do you guys find you push it harder because the pads give you more confidence? right now i wear a helmet and gloves and try to keeping nugging myself to step it up but i know i could go harder. i guess what i want to know is if you guys feel like wearing pads gives you more confidence to step up?

re member
    I would have to say yes to that.
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    do you guys find you push it harder because the pads give you more confidence? right now i wear a helmet and gloves and try to keeping nugging myself to step it up but i know i could go harder. i guess what i want to know is if you guys feel like wearing pads gives you more confidence to step up?
    i snort copious amounts of coca-caine before riding and not only does my confidence skyrocket, but i dont feel anything when i fall...

bet you cant say that for those knee pads

re member
    Knee pads are cheaper. Even expensive knee pads.
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko G
    i snort copious amounts of coca-caine before riding and not only does my confidence skyrocket, but i dont feel anything when i fall...

bet you cant say that for those knee pads
    personally i go for meth but to each his own...

re member
    How's your tooth doin' these days?
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    personally i go for meth but to each his own...
    dude, you got problems

Tire Geek O_o
    i guess what i want to know is if you guys feel like wearing pads gives you more confidence to step up?
    Well it depends, if you are riding a hardtail, with evo light protection and a simple XC helmet, and then you try yourself in a DH/FR/Agressive AM track, no you wont be feeling confident, even with the protection.

But if you start to wear full pad ons and fullface helmete then maybe XC is the wrong category for you.

AM, well yes, pads, a good AM Helmet, and maybe some light elbow pads and you dare a bit more in some trails, though, to be hones, you dare as much as your mind does, and that is your limitation, whether you are fully protected or not.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by cesalec

AM, well yes, pads, a good AM Helmet, and maybe some light elbow pads and you dare a bit more in some trails, though, to be hones, you dare as much as your mind does, and that is your limitation, whether you are fully protected or not.
    thats what i was looking for, i think i'll grab some pads just to see. my dh form is improving but i know i could still be faster, push harder in corners, etc.

net wurker, sadly my final two teeth are on their way out, but its ok, as longs as you smoke enough meth you dont feel hungry!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just want to pipe in and say that I just got a pair of Troy Lee Shock doctor knee gaurds, and for light/medium duty protection there is nothing I've tried thats better. They don't offer the full on protection of my POCs, but damn these things are so light and comfy, and they literally disappear when pedaling. Really easy to slip on too, and they stay put.
    I like them much more than the EVO lites with their fiddly straps, drove me nuts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2