Bro Mountainbiker

Anyone running a honzo with a 140mm fork?

I picked up a used honzo frame and marz 44 micro ti 140mm fork off the classifieds. Should be here Tuesday and slapped together by the end of the week.

The fork isn't coming with the travel reduction spacer and I am starting to think 140mm may be a touch too much out front.

Who has ridden the honzo with a 140mm?
    How does it ride? Way too slack at 67? Bars too high?
    Or is it positive?

I'm very interested to know.
    If its negative, I'll probably get a spacer on order and do some reading about how to install it...
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

usually cranky
    pm eurospek.

mtbr member
    yup, I've been running a 140mm fork for over a year now. The bike loves descending steep tech. I highly recommend it if you ride in areas with steep, techy trails.

My frame is on the smaller size for me so the extra travel to raise my bars is perfect. Honestly, while you're riding your fork isn't going to be at full travel unless you lock it out IMO. So going with 140mm gives you the ability to run your fork at even lower pressure to make riding more smooth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone running a honzo with a 140mm fork?-pinkbike1.jpg  

Last edited by playdead; 06-10-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: adding photo
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by playdead View Post
    yup, I've been running a 140mm fork for over a year now. The bike loves descending steep tech. I highly recommend it if you ride in areas with steep, techy trails.

My frame is on the smaller size for me so the extra travel to raise my bars is perfect. Honestly, while you're riding your fork isn't going to be at full travel unless you lock it out IMO. So going with 140mm gives you the ability to run your fork at even lower pressure to make riding more smooth.
    There is an idea... My Marz 44 has "volume adj?" So I could run the fork a little low, with it set up very progressive in its travel...

Would this be ridiculous? Or do a lot of riders do this?

mtbr member
    ^^Bump^^ I'm interested to hear other feedback on this- looking to build up a Honzo with a Fox 34 140. 5'9", so I'm thinking medium...
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    ^^Bump^^ I'm interested to hear other feedback on this- looking to build up a Honzo with a Fox 34 140. 5'9", so I'm thinking medium...
    My Marz 44 140 is awesome on this bike.
    I believe it has a lower a-c than other brands, so it keeps that BB low.(why I love this bike)

The short stays, low BB, and slack head angle come together to make this bike majic.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    At your height you could also do a small (I did, same height).
    I can't really say which rides better as I;ve not ridden a medium honzo. But do compare the small stack/reach numbers to a medium canfield yelli Screamy or some other comparable "medium" frames.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by playdead View Post

Similar experience with my Yelli Screamy. You should be happy with the 140mm fork. If not you can buy a spacer for around $12 bucks
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a Honzo with a 140mm Reba on it. It seriously rocks. The front end is not too high even with riser bars on it, it's not "too slack" - it feels just about perfect for what it is intended to do. I was actually amazed at how well it climbs, although I am running mine single speed so I'm not sure if seated climbing would be negatively affected by the longer fork. There's a super long thread about building up a Honzo over in the Kona forum, take a look. Lots of info about fork choice and sizing.

mtbr member

Anyone running a honzo with a 140mm fork?

Thanks all- test rode a medium and small today an the medium is out of the question. Even with the stock 120 fork on there, the stand over was slammed in my junk- the 140 will add another 20ish mm. I begin my search for a small frame...
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    hi, i will run a small honzo with marzocchi 140 fork in a two weeks... i hope it fits ok...