mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Anyone running a head angle set?

I have a 2011 norco range 3. This season I've been really getting into downhill and have been going to whistler bike park twice a month. I've swapped out parts to make it better for downhill such as a bigger front tire, wider bars with a higher rise, short stem, and I removed the 3rd chain ring for a bash guard and chain guide.

What I would like next is a slacker head angle for really steep terrain and higher speeds. I'm interested in getting spacers but I don't know anyone who has ran them. The only uphill climbs I do are fire roads to get to the top of a trail head so I'm not really concerned with uphill performance. Anyone have input on these spacers?

mtbr member

Yes. Works components angleset. Great service, solid part. 1.5 degree adjust on mine, noticeable difference on tech downhill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I took a look at the works angleset. There are so many styles I have no idea which one is for my bike. How do I figure out which one I need? I have a tapered head tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KBS604 View Post
    I have a 2011 norco range 3. This season I've been really getting into downhill and have been going to whistler bike park twice a month. I've swapped out parts to make it better for downhill such as a bigger front tire, wider bars with a higher rise, short stem, and I removed the 3rd chain ring for a bash guard and chain guide.

What I would like next is a slacker head angle for really steep terrain and higher speeds. I'm interested in getting spacers but I don't know anyone who has ran them. The only uphill climbs I do are fire roads to get to the top of a trail head so I'm not really concerned with uphill performance. Anyone have input on these spacers?
    I tried one a few months ago. Perfect for downhill!

mtbr member

Send Works an email with your frame / year and they'll get back to you with what options you have.

Mine is tapered as well, but I wouldn't have figured out which type without folks on this forum / Works advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the info. What is your headset angle now? Stock mine is 66.5 I'm not sure if I should go -1 or -1.5

mtbr member

Mine was 69 stock, so yeah... 67.5 was a big improvement.

I'm sure works offers a 1 degree headset. There are other options like the VP headset as well http://www.vp-usa.com/vp-varial-adju...set-in-action/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    snodrift with that much angle change has climbing been affected? Got a Trance and would love to knock it back 1.5

mtbr member

If it did, I adjusted to it really fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did you feel any adverse effects in handling?

mtbr member

Not for the trails that I'm riding. I really think its going to be specific to your bike, trails, and riding style. I went this route because I ride a lot of chunky granite, some slow/steep, some faster with lots of "stoppers" and wheel grabbers. The wide bar / short stem helped a lot, but I gained more directional control slackening out to 67.5. On the smooth fast trails, the bike is just that much more stable and playful. Again, I don't know how much of this translates to different setups, etc. What is your goal in slackening the head angle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snodrift View Post
    Yes. Works components angleset. Great service, solid part. 1.5 degree adjust on mine, noticeable difference on tech downhill.
    THIS.

In fact my Works feels better than the Kings I've had in the past, HIGHLY recommended. As for what angle... I've experimented with a BUNCH and have settled on a final angle of 65.5 deg as the best all around for fast AM/FR bikes that you actually have to pedal back up at times too (I'd go down to 63 for pure DH). My 6 Point pedals uphill fine even at 65.5 deg so no worries.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    65.5 is what I was thinking as well. Seems like a good balance between downhill and AM riding. I'm basically converting my bike into a mini downhill bike until I can afford a dedicated park bike.

I messaged works 3 days ago and still no response. Didn't realize there were so many different sizes on headsets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks! I do a lot of smooth single tracks but there are some slow steeps that I want to be more comfortable with, Im pretty happy with the bike, I would not trade an easier handling of steeps for adverse effects to handling elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by snodrift View Post
    Not for the trails that I'm riding. I really think its going to be specific to your bike, trails, and riding style. I went this route because I ride a lot of chunky granite, some slow/steep, some faster with lots of "stoppers" and wheel grabbers. The wide bar / short stem helped a lot, but I gained more directional control slackening out to 67.5. On the smooth fast trails, the bike is just that much more stable and playful. Again, I don't know how much of this translates to different setups, etc. What is your goal in slackening the head angle?