Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Calm like a Bomb

Anyone Running 180mm Fork on 160mm Bike...

So I have been in heavy debate whether or not to swap my Fox 36 160 out for a 180mm to run on my Nomad

Its hard to get an honest opinion from most 180 owners because must just say its bad@ss and works great since they bought the 180. I would like to hear the real deal...good and bad of those running a 7" fork on a 6" travel bike. Is the bike really that much more plush? Does it dive more? Steering sluggish..etc

wuss
    Steering will slow down, bottom bracket will be higher. Don't know about being a lot plusher, you'll still have the same amount of travel at the rear, but this will move your weight back enough that you might actually have to go for a stiffer spring / more pressure on the rear, and a lighter spring in the front / less preload.

Really depends on where you are riding, what kind of trails etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I thought the steeper the HTA, the faster the steering?

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42
    I thought the steeper the HTA, the faster the steering?
    Yes, but changing to a longer fork will not make the HTA steeper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stunzeed
    So I have been in heavy debate whether or not to swap my Fox 36 160 out for a 180mm to run on my Nomad

Its hard to get an honest opinion from most 180 owners because must just say its bad@ss and works great since they bought the 180. I would like to hear the real deal...good and bad of those running a 7" fork on a 6" travel bike. Is the bike really that much more plush? Does it dive more? Steering sluggish..etc
    I did it ...., I'm glad I did it.

I'm glad I didn't follow my friend's sugesstion to buy Fox 36 160mm for geometry blablabla reasons.

My bike is Specialized Pitch Pro ( standard bike come with Pike 140mm ),

I replaced the pike fork with Fox Float 36 180 FIT-RC2.

More Dive during braking ? Yes, sort of .... but I can minimise the dive effects using low speed adjustment.

More plush ? Yes, definetely, it has 20mm more travel to absorb vibrations + hard hits.

More sluggish on tight cornering? Yes, ..... but its not important factor for me. I can switch front tires to make it grippier.

Better ride ? Yes, definetely. Fox Float 36 is the best suspension fork.

Look cooler now ? of course

Going uphill ? The front tires sometimes can lift on very steep hill..... but I shift the weight forward, or I simply step down and start walking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I ride an 07 Nomad with a coil shock, and have a Talas 36 160mm and RS Domain 180mm to switch between, both with a 50mm 0 rise stem and Chromag flat bar.
    I prefer, in almost all high speed downhill situations, the body position the 36 puts me in, including steeps.
    If you tend to ride off the back end of your bike, the 180mm will probably work for you, but I like being in a more aggressive stance, and don't feel like I'm giving up anything in the way of plushness.

You've got a bunch of threads up about turning your nomad into a more DH oriented bike, and my 2cents are to spend ~$200 on different tires and experiment with front/back combos and pressures.
    When you find the tires/pressure that work best for you and your environment, you will see much bigger gains in confidence and performance than 20mm of fork travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a Fox 180mm Talas on my Ibis HD. There are times I wish I had a 160mm Float on there, 1 pound of weight savings, better in techy climbing situations, but then I hit certain trails or sections of trails on my rides, and any regrets instantly disappear.
    I have a tendency to like to ride slightly overbuilt bikes, I find them more fun, and any reduction in efficiency is made up for in smiles and chuckles.
    I was able to keep my bar height pretty low, so I don't really have any problems climbing the 180mm fork, and I rarely use the Talas function.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    I have a 180mm Totem 2-Step on my Rocky Mountain Slayer. Used a 160mm Domain before. I just drop the travel during 'climbs'. Otherwise.. I'm pointed downhill most of the time with the Slayer and the extra travel is nice.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

Airborne Flight Crew
    I had a Marz 66 180 on my Giant Reign. Was great, like a dh bike you could pedal around - felt very similar to my Faith. That bike could handle anything I threw at it (until I busted the pivot bolt/bearings).

Yes, it slowed my steering a bit, the front tended to lift easier on climbs, but the stability at high speeds in the rough was totally worth it. For slow-moderate riding, it's not that great, but for fast and burly, heck yes. FWIW, I tend to ride off the back of my bike, esp. in steeps and gnar.

I've since blown my 66 out, and am on an Enduro, with a 160 fork. It works great, but I find myself missing the Reign. May need to repair it after all.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Actually thought about this on my '10 GT Sanction 1.0 which currently runs the Talas RC2 FIT 160 fork which up to this point has seem like a perfect, really plush fork. I haven't quite run through the travel on it yet on what I ride and while I don't mind spending the money to upgrade, I'd hate to screw with what otherwise has been a pretty dialed-in ride.

mtbr member
    Hell yea! Have a 180 RS Domain on my Iron horse 6point. Never looked back.
    Slacked out the front end and increased BB height a little. All in all not a whole lot of noticeable difference when climbing. But, when pointed down, the added travel really helps.

mtbr member
    I have a 180 66RC2X on my 6point and I ride it everywhere just fine. As another poster said, I like over built bikes too.
    It is only 1" inch difference in A2C. 545mm vs. 565mm. Are you really going to notice the difference? Does it really shift your ride geometry that much?

You can increase sag to get the same ride height and that can give you a plusher ride.
    Having a fork or shock with good BO control helps.

I really do not concern myself with 1" geometry differences. Should you really?

Steering sluggish? Compared to what? I have never had an issue turning the bars on any of my bikes. And why would you want your steering to be super quick anyway?

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by asw7576

I'm glad I didn't follow my friend's sugesstion to buy Fox 36 160mm for geometry blablabla reasons.

More Dive during braking ? Yes, sort of .... but I can minimise the dive effects using low speed adjustment.

More plush ? Yes, definetely, it has 20mm more travel to absorb vibrations + hard hits.

More sluggish on tight cornering? Yes, ..... but its not important factor for me. I can switch front tires to make it grippier.

Going uphill ? The front tires sometimes can lift on very steep hill..... but I shift the weight forward, or I simply step down and start walking.
    you're running a 180mm fork on a 140mm bike? that would put it at around a 65 degree head angle. that's just dumb. seems you have the wrong bike.

mtbr member
    I put a 180mm Marz 66 RC3 Ti on my Nomad this winter. I've had a 160mm van and talas on my nomad before.

The 66 is definitely the most plush and best performing out of all 3, and it's Ti spring is relatively soft. I'm running about 30% sag, and I dont notice the front is any higher than before.

I say do it and you will have no regrets.

banned
    Mar 2010

The fact you put a 180mm on a Pitch is simply bad ass!!!! Very Nice!

100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Mar 2011
    Look Ma, it's 2001 all over again.

Hamish put a Monster T on his Norco Sasquatch!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail-Shredder
    Thank you

mtbr member
    36 Van 180 on my ReignX. Handling is still plenty playful and the bike can pick it's own line if I want. Not too slack for trail riding and it lifted the BB just enough.

usually cranky

better hope you never need the warrenty...

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail-Shredder
    Simply badass?

Ha. Kinda silly maybe... 180mm fork on a 140mm bike? snap goes the headtube...
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

mtbr member

I have tested my bike two times going to mountains. Nothing wrong with it !!

I'm glad I did it and I dont care with warranty.

GAME ON!
    two times! well, if it can survive after two rides then surely it will survive them all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    two times! well, if it can survive after two rides then surely it will survive them all!
    Well.... you dont have to copy my idea.

Dont copy me If you scare you will change the bike's geometry with 180mm fork.

Dont copy me if you scare you will do some willy and flip your bike with 180mm fork.

Dont copy me if you scare you will lose the bike's warranty with 180mm fork.

As SIMPLE and CLEAR as that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm running 140mm on a 100mm bike, 170mm with the 29" front wheel in there, ( Reba 100 29" so it's same length as a 140mm but less sag so more like a 150 LOL )

Nearly a year in no head tube sheering off issues as yet, no biggy if it happens as I like how it rides like this.

140 to 180 is 510mm fork length to 550mm so 7.8% more leverage, as long as your >7.8% under the max rider weight for that frame you'll be fine

sub 4% with 20mm's more, do it if you want to do it.

usually cranky
    that pitch... oh brother...

but back on track i have thought about running a 180 fork sagged so much it mimicks a 160 fork sagged and crank the lsc to tune out dive. i think it would be a fun experiment if i had the cash.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast