mtbr member

Anyone riding a Trek Slash 8 or 9?

hi, i normally hang out on the 29er and fat bike boards (i'm a rigid 29er rider myself, don't hold it against me haha).

one of my friends is currently shopping around for a new bike, the slash 8 and 9 keep popping up. i offered to try and gather some opinions as well as he's not yet joined in the fun here on mtbr...

clearly he needs to test ride but what do any owners posting here think?

like me he is scotland based and his riding falls towards the slash set up. as well as technical steep rocky muddy scottish riding, he's got a big trip on the cards (trans-provence no less!!) so the new bikes gonna get a pounding.

what are the highlights and weakness out the box and what other bikes in this price range should be considering? any pictures would be great.

thanks for any help.

cheers

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    All the pros rode bikes similar to the slash at Trans-Provence...I think the guy that won was on a Cannondale Jekyll.

As far as comps....Spec Enduro, Santa Cruz Nomad, Giant Reign/Reign X, Pivot Firebird, Cannondale jekyll. Pretty big category, i think most all mfgs have a similar bike now.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    If Carbon isn't out of the question and he doesn't mind dropping some serious coin, a lot of people love the Ibis Mojo HD
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Also the Specialized Stumpy FSR EVO is a pretty badass bike. Don't forget there's a lot of pedaling in-between specials at TransProvence. I think Fabien Barrel Rode a bike with 140mm in the rear and 160 in the front. You're gonna want something that pedals decently but something that goes downhilll fast too. I haven't ridden a Slash, but it looks like a terrific bike and the specs are pretty good. I have a Spesh Enduro EVO that shreds down and isn't too bad going up either. If I were gonna do the TP, I'd more than likely do it on the Enduro.

namagomi
    Sure this is for your "friend" ... just admit it.

Slash is brand new... though the one reviewer like it, but the chainstay snapped partly due to tire rub. Maybe the tire clearance is not so good.

re member
    I rode a Slash 9 at a TREK demo day about 6 months ago. For such a "big-hit" kind of bike, it pedaled extremely well. I liked it.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a remedy, which has a little less travel than the slash. When I was looking at bikes the trek and specialized bikes are longer for the same size of bike compared to some other brands. Longer reach, longer wheelbase. The Orange five is pretty long too.

That's what all the cool kids seem to doing today. Steve jones, Nico telling Blenkinshop to ride the bigger frame, I hear all the Santa Cruz guys, the guys who work there, are riding a size up in frame. I just went to a bigger frame, and it seems to help when I get into trouble, which is probably what you want going into a multi-day downhill race, on a bunch of trails you are riding blind.

But anyway, I'm really happy with my remedy. I like the build kit on the remedy 9.8 more than the slash bikes. The geometry is almost the same if you put a 160mm fork on it.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    That's what all the cool kids seem to doing today. Steve jones, Nico telling Blenkinshop to ride the bigger frame, I hear all the Santa Cruz guys, the guys who work there, are riding a size up in frame.
    Oh good lord...

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the comments so far.
    Electrik, it's definately for a friend - I'm loving my wacky rigid wagon wheeler - hoho...

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz is somewhat behind the curve. The latest trend in geo is a longer top tube, lower bb, and slack, meant to be ran with a 50mm stem in most cases. Santa cruz bikes run small, hence why guys are riding a size up. My medium butcher had a 22.5" top tube. To put that in perspective, the Knolly Chilcotin has a 23.5" TT in the same size. I always felt cramped on my butcher, so I ended up selling it and went with a rune, which is a much better fit.

namagomi
    What exactly is the curve - buying a bicycle that fits? Is that really santa cruz's issue?

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    I demo'd a slash 9 a little while ago. I ride a prophet so I wasn't used to such a large wheelbase, but it handled pretty well. The suspension feels very plush, and there's not too much bob. Wasn't a fan of the fork or the brakes though. Ride it, and a few other bikes in the same category for yourself; that's really the only way to know for certain what you want.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400