mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Anyone riding the new Time ATAC MX 8?

I'm a long-time Time Atac Alium rider, and I am looking to move up to a pedal with more platform.

Anyone have experience with the new Time MX 8 (or other new Time Atac MX)?

mtbr member
    I have been running the MX6 for about 4 months and really like them. I got them at a warehouse sale for $50. I have been using Time ATAC's for about 15 years now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Do you notice the platform you're clipped in (esp. standing/cornering/landing), or does it only help when you're not clipped in?

mtbr member
    I do not notice the platform when clipped in. It does however help when you are not clipped in and need a little extra grab on your shoe until you can get clipped in.

mtbr member
    Iíve been on Timeís for over a decade now. I switched from ATACís to the Z version about 3 years ago. Z basically looks to be the same as what they're now calling DH, a pretty burly atac with aluminum body platform. Love the platform for when Iím clipping back in in a sketchy situation, and it does seem to offer a bit more solid interface with the shoe, which in turn allows me to descend faster with confidence. Bottom line is Iím a big guy with size 15 feet, so the platform model meets my needs better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've been using Times for 15yrs. Had the mx6 for about a year and beat the hell out of them. They're everything I love about Time pedals. Cage offers noticeably more support when pedaling, standing, and cornering. It does give you a better spot to stand when not clipped in, especially if using a rubber soled shoe and not a hard plastic XC type shoe. Def not as secure as flats, but functional if you're nervous or just can't get in.

mountain biker
    I have both the ROC ATAC, and MX 6, and have bought and sold the XC 6. I have soft soled 5.10 clip-in shoes (Maltese Falcon), and hard soled bontrager xc soled shoes.

The questions you ask are more dependant on your shoe than your pedal. I notice the lack of platform on the ROC ATAC when wearing my 5.10s, so I exclusively use the mx-6 with those.

Regarding the use of the platform, with the 5.10 I can ride ok without being clipped in, but it's not ideal. With the hard-soled xc shoe, the platform isn't felt when clipped in, and is not really useful when not clipped it. Your arch skates all over the place when placed on the pedal not clipped in. It's really only useful when you need to get going again and can't clip-in before getting moving.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    So with a bontrager rhythm shoe (stiff sole, but grippy tread), are you saying the platform will be useless / effectively-invisible and I might as well save the weight and get something like the XS?

mountain biker
    I have Bontrager RL shoes. I'm not really familiar with the sole of the Rythm shoe, but if the only differnce is the rubber of the tread, then yes, I would say the platform wouldn't add anything to your experience, and you would probably be better off with a smaller, lower profile, ligther pedal.

My 5.10s work with the MX platform because the sole flexes enough to touch the platform all around. The RL's don't.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    Hummm....I think you just saved me some money. Thanks for the intelligent comments.

Oni

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Got the new 2014 MX6 (dirty white ones).
    The platform is nice, definitly effective(I got mavic shoes). It is even effective when clipped in because the back of the pedal is effectively supporting the shoes. A nice thing on flexy AM shoes (like mavic alpine).
    Pretty strong, I bump more than once the platform on rocks without big damages.
    They are ligther than 2013 models (380g).

mtbr member
    So I'm an experienced XC racer but I have a fun bike that I'd like to use both with flats (non-cleated, rubber soled shoes) and with traditional ATAC cleats. It sounds like the MX series is good for this.

How about the DH4s? Which Time clipless pedal, MX or DH, is best and most comfortable when riding without cleated shoes?