Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New question here. Anyone Riding Carbon Bars?

I am curious if anyone is running the Easton Monkeylite XC (mx) bar. My LBS is clearing some stock and has these for sale and I was wondering if anyone has run them with any success or failure. I do a decent amount of 4footers and Tech DH and I know a couple guys who ride XC and run the SL version and have never had an Issue. And supposedly the MX is beefier than the regular XC bar. I just don't want to have a bar snap on me while riding. Like a buddy did although to be honest it was because he over torqued his brakes and cracked the bar.

My other option is the EA70 Monkeybar. Good old fashioned aluminum.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Material_man
    I am curious if anyone is running the Easton Monkeylite XC (mx) bar. My LBS is clearing some stock and has these for sale and I was wondering if anyone has run them with any success or failure. I do a decent amount of 4footers and Tech DH and I know a couple guys who ride XC and run the SL version and have never had an Issue. And supposedly the MX is beefier than the regular XC bar. I just don't want to have a bar snap on me while riding. Like a buddy did although to be honest it was because he over torqued his brakes and cracked the bar.

My other option is the EA70 Monkeybar. Good old fashioned aluminum.
    I run the MX's on my "all mountain" bike (Foes FXR) and the XC's on my "light bike" (Ventana Saltemantes) .

What bike are you putting them on? 4" drops should not be done on XC bars!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ride a blur LT. And the Easton Site says

Quote Originally Posted by eastonsite
    The legendary MonkeyLite bar just keeps improving. Our new XC (MX) adds real nanotechnology and a little more beef to the mix. It's for those who like to push the limits of "cross country." Carbon Nanotubes (CNT) strengthen and toughen the resin matrix. The world's best cross-country bar is now even better!
    I would assume that the limits of XC includes a few drops. But I know it's Advertising Speak so who knows. I guess I could go with the DH bar but that thing is huge and I don't want to cut that much off the bar to make it rideable (710mm) and it's a high sweep I wanted a low or mid. I am guessing that the EA70 Monkey is the way to go. I guess I was just hoping to save a few grams.

Bodhisattva
    You'll be fine. Just install the bar properly, don't overtighten the bolts and inspect for damage when you crash.
    Life....the original terminal illness

STINKY TOFU
    Truvativ's carbon bar is designated for all mountain (whatever that means)

mtbr member
    Get the AE70 "good old fasion" ... If you ask me Good is always in fasion
    Stay healthy and get old in your time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I run the pro design carbon bars on my Am bike. They have held up with no ploblems. I use to wt 240lb now 210lb. they still going stong. Check them out on the jensonusa.com website. Under 50 bucks. Ben

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    I huck the crap out of my "all mountain" bike with Answer carbon bars and they don't even have nanotubes. Gasp.

I'm sure they're not going to "suddenly break" while riding... I'm pretty sure "suddenly breaking" is an urban legend...

Go for the carbon. I guess that's what I'm saying.

MarkyMark
    A few years back at Pedro Fest in Lanesboro, MA, we were descending from Jimminy Peak and a guy on a tricked-out Intense Tracer had his Easton EC90 MonkeyBar Lite SL snap near the stem. I'm not sure what happened because he was behind me, but he was okay. I saw him back at the camp with a no-name aluminum bar.

I have a Race Face Next SL carbon bar on my Blur. So far so good, but I'm kinda skeeved at the whole carbon fiber deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai
    I huck the crap out of my "all mountain" bike with Answer carbon bars and they don't even have nanotubes. Gasp.

I'm sure they're not going to "suddenly break" while riding... I'm pretty sure "suddenly breaking" is an urban legend...

Go for the carbon. I guess that's what I'm saying.

TNC
    noMAD man
    LOL!...I'm living dangerously too, Kauai. I'm running the Easton Monkey Lite XC carbon bar on my Nomad and an Answer ProTaper XC carbon bar on one of my Bullits. Like Squeak suggested, I look at those bars frequently around the stem area, and I always inspect them after a decent get-off. They've been golden so far...over a year. I don't huck or jump big, but I get some air and ride rocky stuff fast and hard. I think most manufacturers of these bars...at least the good ones like Answer and Easton...probably err on the side of safety and liability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I thought that I read somewhere

that carbon bars have a 3 year life span (you should change them out after 3 years) even if you haven't had bad crashes, just because of the general fatigue from repeted shocks of riding.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I THINK I remember reading that somewhere?

one of those Mean-time-between-failures things (like hard drives and laser printers)

I don't know, anybody seen something like that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I hear that about Aluminum bars- every two years or so. Carbon bars are great. I've used the Easton EC70s for years (two of them) and am getting ready to get either a RaceFace gravity (heavier-duty carbon) or a Syncros Bulk (similar to Easton). I don't think carbon has a fatigue life but I'm not 100% sure.

mtbr member
    Easton claims the EC70 or monkeylite XC bars, are ~300% stronger than their competitors. Check out this animation its pretty cool.
    http://www.eastonbike.com/FLASH-SWF/bar%20test.swf
    [SIZE="4"]Precision Cycling Components[/SIZE]
    www.precisioncyclingcomponents.com
    [SIZE="4"]All Mountain Post[/SIZE]
    www.allmountainpost.com

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    I am also leary about carbon bars. I just bought a Truvativ Team Carbon bar... I haven't installed it yet since I need to get a torque wrench first...but I am a little worried about it snapping on me, though the failure characteristics of carbon is more of a crack... I've never seen carbon just snap...

King of vegetarians
    Quote Originally Posted by FL_MTB_Weekend Warrior
    I am also leary about carbon bars. I just bought a Truvativ Team Carbon bar... I haven't installed it yet since I need to get a torque wrench first...but I am a little worried about it snapping on me, though the failure characteristics of carbon is more of a crack... I've never seen carbon just snap...
    Carbon All-Mountain Bikes/ is it just me?
    Also do a search on "broken cf"
    Black Sheep Dream Bike Design
    www.blacksheepbikes.com
    The future is not retro proof.

bump and grind
    I use FSA K Force DH carbon bars on my AM heckler. Going strong so far.

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    OK, well obviously in high impacts carbon will snap right off...actually, any material will snap off in a high enough impact...

In the MTB world...in a pure XC/trail conditions, I can see that happening...
    But, I could be wrong...

I currently have waiting to be installed a CF seatpost and handle bar... I'll let you know how it works out... My riding style is very gentle compared to your all out ride it like you stole it types...

EastBaySteez
    Dont over tighten and you should be fine.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Dont over tighten and you should be fine.
    Yep, waiting to buy a torque wrench before installing...

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FL_MTB_Weekend Warrior
    OK, well obviously in high impacts carbon will snap right off...actually, any material will snap off in a high enough impact...

In the MTB world...in a pure XC/trail conditions, I can see that happening...
    But, I could be wrong...

I currently have waiting to be installed a CF seatpost and handle bar... I'll let you know how it works out... My riding style is very gentle compared to your all out ride it like you stole it types...
    Steel and titanium should bend (well, I guess they could snap but the impacts would have to be pretty incredible).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've been running the same set of easton monkey light XC's for two years now on my all mountain bike with no problems. I ride pretty hard but the biggest drop I have done on the bike with them was about 4 feet to a nice transition. The largest drop to flat I've done with them was around 3 feet. that said, I dont recommend doing it with XC oriented bars, and anything more than 4 feet would not be advised.I
    have had one small problem out of them. I went down in a rock garden and smacked the end of the bar pretty hard and it bascally crushed about 3/4" of the tube . The lock on grip wouldn't clamp on properly anymore.
    luckily, I had been planning on narrowing the bars down some anyway and I just hacked off the damaged part of the tube.

I already rode that
    As long as you arent over tightening the stem the bar should be ok. Like some ppl when told to hand tighten something they end up giving it a good crank because they figure hand tight means going as hard as you can by hand. Also when installing on a stem with a 4 bolt face (like most stems come nowadays anyways) make sure its going on straight and with equal spacing and your turning each bolt only so much. My friend had his carbon bar cracked because the shop didnt know any better and installed the face on crooked.

If your falling alot as well or starting out mtbing I wouldnt recommend a CF bar.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here´s my modest input.

Rode a Pro 31,6mm diameter carbon seatpost for two years without any problems. I weigh ~225lbs w/ gear and am not so smooth rider. Unfortunately the size was wrong for my new frame so I went for aluminium one as carbon ones weren´t available at my LBS.

Now riding only a carbon handlebar, Azonic CF 1. Anyone had problems with those? Feels very rigid and strong, fitted into a thomson stem. I´m a bit concerned that the set is 25,4mm, not OS.

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    Riding, Carbon bars since 2002, zero failure!

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    I feel a little more confident of my 31.8mm carbon bar...
    But you guys are freaking me out...
    I have yet to ride with the carbon bar...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast