Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone riding Canfield Crampon Ultimate pedals?

I've been looking for a set of flats to use for AM/trail type riding, and these look pretty sweet. My priorities are good pedaling/climbing efficiency and light weight.

The one thing that I'm hesitant about is the convex shape, i.e. the fact that they're thicker under the axle than at the edges. This is kind of the opposite of every other pedal out there, and while I see how the thin edges would limit pedal strikes it seems like they might not feel great under foot. Convex ball of foot on convex pedal= hot spots? I'm using 5.10 Freeriders FWIW.

Anyone ridden these, and if so is the convex shape noticeable? Feedback or other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I use the same shoes as you in high top and have used the ultimates and ultimate mags for the last 2 seasons for DH. I also use my pedals in the winter for all mountain. They are by far the best pedals I have run. They are light, strong and feel great on the feet. I previously ran Kona Wah Wah's, NRG's and some specialized pedals but none felt as good. The wah wah's are my second favourite but they are not as good and the crampons.

The convex shape disappears one you are on them they just feel nice and sticky.

The only recommendation is pull the pins out when you get them and lock tight them well. apart from that they are amazing pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have these pedals with 5.10's and love them. They feel great under your foot. If u ride am u will need to put lock tight on the pins or they will fall out. Other than that the pedals are awesome.

mtbr member
    I use the Crampons with 5.10s on all my bikes, By far the best flat I have ridden. Love the combination.

beater

These pedals are discussed in a number of threads, in which I and other users have given our impressions of them. I like mine, and so do my friends. The platforms aren't the largest on the market, but on the other hand, that also means fewer strikes. I've never had hot spots from flat bodies, concave bodies, or convex bodies. Good shoes are important.

As far as the convex shape, I was also surprised at first, since concavity is a bragging point for a lot of pedals. But consider that your shoes, even those as stiff as 5.10 Impacts, are flexible and deform over the pedal. Think about how a sole bends over a convex versus concave pedal body, particularly if you're riding with your heels down. The sole wraps over the pedal, rather than cupping into it.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Been running them for a couple of years... ran the first generation which were thin and flat slightly wide and went to the Ultimates and love them even more. I tend to switch back and forth from clips to flats and the convex shape combined with 5ten shoes makes it feel clipped. You won't regret the purchase if you pick up a set.
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...ps00f08dc1.jpg

mtbr member
    another yes vote from me. Super sticky, and super durable. I smacked the pins on a rock so hard that it sprained my ankle, and the pin didn't break off at all. Just smeared the very tip of the pin a tad. Still 100% usable. The length of the pins negate a fair bit if the convex shape you are concerned about too. As was mentioned earlier, I prefer a stiffer-soled shoe with them, but they feel pretty much flat to me when riding. They have the same amount of grip of a concave design., but it is easier to reposition your foot on them when needed. Best pedals I've owned.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Oh, and they are very low maintenance. I was worried about a full du bushing pedal, as I like the ease of rotation in bearing pedals. I had no need to worry. They break in after a week or so of riding, they rotate very easily, and they stay that way for a looooong time. No lubrication, no cleaning, no nothing. Just ride them. If it eventually wears down to the point where it's getting a bit sloppy (remember, loose is far better than chunky or seized like bearing pedals when they die), they have inexpensive replacement bushing kits to get them back to new.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Ultimate and 5.10 combo. I ordered a pair last year as soon as they were available and loved them so much that I ordered a set of the new mags this year for my new bike.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Yep...+1 from me, too. I've been running them since May, after using straitlines for years. They're bomber paired with 5.10 rubber!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Another here that went from the regular Crampons (still on my Highline) to Ultimates that go back and forth from the XC/AM bike to the DH bike.

mtbr member
    Great, thanks all for the enthusiastic replies. I guess my main concern was that these might be great DH pedals (i.e. very sticky for standing on while bombing downhill) but might not be as good for multi-hour pedaling days with long climbs etc. Sounds like that's not the case; I'll be ordering some ASAP!

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    multi-hour pedaling days with long climbs etc.
    Several hours and 3,500 feet to get here. That's not unusual for summer.

Anyone riding Canfield Crampon Ultimate pedals?-img_3792.jpg
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

I have them and I love them

Anyone riding Canfield Crampon Ultimate pedals?-img_2200.jpgAnyone riding Canfield Crampon Ultimate pedals?-img_2202.jpg

I came across these pedals at a local bike shop in Springdale, UT. They looked thin yet burley. I made the impulse purchase and I'm glad I did. These are the best platform pedals I have owned. (I've previously used Black ops, Wha Whas, and Mallets.) The finish on the pedals is taking a beating, but I could care less. I live in AZ and rocks beat the crap out of everything. I did switch out the pins, but this was purely for esoteric purposes.

Yes, that's fonetic
    If you worry about the finish they come in raw too. One caveat...you should locktite the pins...I took a new pair to Whistler and lost half the pins in 4 days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone riding Canfield Crampon Ultimate pedals?-small-dhr2.gif  

mtbr member
    Having gotten these in and done a couple rides on them over the weekend, I can say that everyone was right: these are great.

(Also, I didn't realize they came from just up the road in Bellingham, WA; I was pleasantly surprised when the pedals arrived at my house in Seattle in just one day!)

Re: the convex shape, I think I actually like this better than concave. When I ride flats I normally position my foot a bit forward relative to clipless, so the pedal spindle is just behind the ball of my foot. I find that the convex shape actually fits nicely into that part of my foot, and that i don't notice the sharp edge of the pedal digging into my arch the way I do with concave pedals. Also way easier to reposition on these. So, two thumbs up, and thanks for the recommendations guys!

bikerbert

These are killer pedals with my Teva Links. The only tricky part was finding the sweet spot with the seat post height after swapping out the Candy C's.

mtbr member
    So.... revisiting this. I got my current pair of these back in February. As of now, they're super loose and sloppy-feeling. I've disassembled, cleaned and lubed multiple times. I've tightened end-cap bolts. Thinking they need new bushings.

So, is this service interval normal? I rode these in the PNW winter, and I certainly haven't been gentle with them, but new bushings every 6 months seems kind of lame...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had the same problem and ordered the bushings. Had my bike shop replace them for me and the pedals are like new again.

mtbr member
    I love mine for the last year work flawless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    So.... revisiting this. I got my current pair of these back in February. As of now, they're super loose and sloppy-feeling. I've disassembled, cleaned and lubed multiple times. I've tightened end-cap bolts. Thinking they need new bushings.

So, is this service interval normal? I rode these in the PNW winter, and I certainly haven't been gentle with them, but new bushings every 6 months seems kind of lame...

Define super lose? I know when I contacted them, they are expected to wear some and have a little play if I remember. I know mine developed a little play and it hasn't changed since that first break in period.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Define super lose? I know when I contacted them, they are expected to wear some and have a little play if I remember. I know mine developed a little play and it hasn't changed since that first break in period.
    Yeah, mine went through the break-in period and loosened up. At that point they felt good, a tiny bit of play but generally solid and smooth. Now they're much looser, even with spindle bolts snugged down. I'd estimate 1-2mm of fore-aft play in the DU bushing nearest the crank arm. And they don't really hold grease any more; when I disassemble and re-pack, they're back to nearly dry after a couple rides. I think this is all consistent with dead bushings.

I ordered fresh ones, we'll see how much of a PITA they are to replace, and how long the new ones last. I LOVE the performance of these pedals, but needing an overhaul every 6 months could be a deal breaker for me....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Anyone riding Canfield Crampon Ultimate pedals?

What color locktight for the pins?

mtbr member
    Blue

mtbr member
    Purple too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast