Portland, OR

Anyone ride short travel?

Alright, yesterday I drove up to WA to meet up with a good friend and go riding. He just got a new mongoose black diamond FR fully and wanted me to do with him to test it out. then later he wanted to hit some skateparks.

He always told me his style was AM and I was guessing that it would be somewhat of an easy venture. So I took my 30pound DJ/street bike. I put original internals (fluid flow) into the fork and set it to 100mm.

Turns out the trail was a little on the heavy AM side. the ride up was easy, but coming down was really harsh. sorry no ride shots because I didnt think to bring my cam.

But it was a huge amount of fun. a little flickable hard tail at 100mm taking it on the same stuff as the guys on AM/DH bikes.

Anyone else do this? riding AM in the 85-130mm range? I had to use a different saddle/bar/stem combo. So I had my bike set up with a XC saddle, truvativ XR bars and stem, 90mm stem.

Most fun I've had in a really long time. Here is what I now ride on the lighter AM ventures. might swich to a dual ring soon though. current ring on there is a 38t

[SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

conjoinicorned
    DJ3 set at 110mm. i'll ride this bike almost anywhere i ride my 6x6 FR bike...but not as fast and not as long!

what would rainbow unicorn do?

40 & Fast
    My two most consistent riding associates are on 4" XC bikes.

We all ride together until the descents get fast or the roots and rocks get big; then I blaze ahead until my conscience makes me slow down to make sure they are still behind me.

A good rider can do alot with any bike. I'm good enough to go like hell with good suspension under me.
    Ride hard, Drag the broken pieces back, Share lusty tales of adventure & Tell everyone, " I almost stuck the landing".

Dirt Displacer
    My wife rides a Fisher Hi-Fi GS, and she blazes me on a lot of stuff now. She used to ride a FatPossumXO, but decided that her old Cake2GS was much more versatile. So came the Hi-Fi. Even with less travel, the lighter and more agile Hi-Fi allows her to ride a larger variety of terrain with greater confidence.
    I myself have entertained thoughts of obtaining a custom hardtail (Coconino), and keeping my Nomad for DH and Keystone runs.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

Motion activated
    My last bike was a 4" x 3.6" Turner. It was strong enough for drops and did well in the slow speed tech, but I just couldn't let it rip on the high speed rocky DH's. And all our trails have extended high speed rocky DH's. Doh!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (123.4 KB, 702 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (120.6 KB, 711 views)
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

El Pollo Diablo
    Before I snagged my prophet (in itself arguably a light duty AM ride) I rocked my Urban bike (Steelhead SS, no front brake, sherman firefly up front) on galby a couple times...
    still fun as hell, just slower to compensate for the lack of cushion in the back, and slow down a little more for the lack of a front brake.
    Lotsa fun, more about smooth line finding than bombing through...
    for sure good for honing skills

NMBP/OMBA crew!
    i ride a gf bitter with 100mm minute fork. i ride that bad boy anywhere, dj/xc/am whatever i can
    http://ocalabicyclecenter.com/

Rubber side down is good for me

ride hard take risks
    The Atlas with way to much air F&R was like riding a rigid, mrperc was having fits on DH sections & couldn't believe the jumps. That was a sweet ride
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Me hates pinchflat
    I used to ride my hardtail with a crappy 120mm suntour fork on my local dh trails. It didnt do too bad, but I didnt enjoy it nearly as much as I do now with my 66 There are too many ruts and braking bumps and the trannys on jumps are crap...
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member
    i ride a 5" trek ex8 very agressively and im able to bomb down technical descents, but the light weight gives me the ability to throw in more finesse.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

conjoinicorned
    LOL

when did 5" become short travel? i must be getting old....
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Double-metric mtb man
    Ferday, for a Clyde like me, a 5x5 bike with XC / trail leanings is a short travel bike

I like my Cake 2 dlx just fine as a general purpoose all rounder....including for some AM work Bigger stuff...well, then I`d be looking for more travel.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrokid73
    i ride a 5" trek ex8 very agressively and im able to bomb down technical descents, but the light weight gives me the ability to throw in more finesse.
    I feel the same way about my EX8.. Awesome ride.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    I used to ride a sugar 2 (2.5" rear 100mm front) on world cup, but that doesnt make it a downhill bike.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    4.5" Nicolai UFO-DS -

mtbr member
    thats a sick step up..big commitment

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Not too bad, super fun line. Gotta love Moab...

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    4.5" Nicolai UFO-DS -

Sick bike and funny looking 66

Goddam, how many nicolais do you own??
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

El Pollo Diablo
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    apparently one more than he needs

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    Sick bike and funny looking 66

I have 3 at the moment. UFO-DS (above), Helius-ST (big freeride bike), and a BMXTB (dirtjumper hardtail)

The UFO is a freakin' blast though. It's so fun to throw it around, jump and hop over everything, manuals very well. It's a handful at speed, doesn't climb too bad. In the pic we had climbed up Amasa Back in Moab which is about a 1200' ascent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FisherCraig
    I feel the same way about my EX8.. Awesome ride.

Just got an EX7....different suspension but same idea.....I rode it for real for the first time since I got it which was yesterday... .....and it can rip on the downhills....

still not sold on this whole full squish thing for fast climbs though

love a good hardtail

I have a Sinister Ridge hardtail with a 150mm Z1 up front that puts the BB at 13 inches.. I already have a 6" dualie (ventana terremoto) so these 2 bikes overlap quite a bit. I was thinking of putting a 100mm Argyle 318 to drop the front 2 inches and put the BB somewhere between 12 and 12.5". I'm guessing since 1" drop up front is about 1 degree steeper HA? I'll be around 70HA which would be nice at the DJ and provide a bit of a challenge on the AM trails... but totally rip since it's long and low slung.
    Anyone trailride with an Argyle before? I could go Pike.. but Argyle is burlier.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    I have a Sinister Ridge hardtail with a 150mm Z1 up front that puts the BB at 13 inches.. I already have a 6" dualie (ventana terremoto) so these 2 bikes overlap quite a bit. I was thinking of putting a 100mm Argyle 318 to drop the front 2 inches and put the BB somewhere between 12 and 12.5". I'm guessing since 1" drop up front is about 1 degree steeper HA? I'll be around 70HA which would be nice at the DJ and provide a bit of a challenge on the AM trails... but totally rip since it's long and low slung.
    Anyone trailride with an Argyle before? I could go Pike.. but Argyle is burlier.
    I have ridden trail with a friends bike with an argyle. it really sucked, but only because he had like extra stiff springs in it for DJ I was getting maybe, 10% sag. I run my stance with I think medium springs, gives me 30% sag and is great for trail. I'm sure an argyle at 30% for some trail would be even better. But if you like your forks stiff when you're jumping, then it might get pretty old swapping springs.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Master of Baked Goods
    I used to ride AM on an '05 Giant NRS. 3" up front and 3.75" of super hard travel in the rear. It was fun going up but not as fun going down.