mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Anyone ride a Nomad or Firebird on Gooseberry/Slickrock?

Looking for a new present for myself and looking at the Nomad and Pivot Firebird. Just wondering how those bikes do on technical rides like Gooseberry or Slickrock type of riding???

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    As in can they pedal up steep slick (but smooth) rock?
    or as in can they be ridden on the technical (ledgy) sections?

A hard tail is better on the steep climbing sections of Slick Rock but a bike like a nomad is better on the downward directions.

So I don't understand what you are asking.

mtbr member
    i think maybe he's asking if it's legal to ride a Nomad or Firebird at gooseberry/slickrock. I would check with the local authorities, nothing like riding an illegal bike at an unauthorized spot, what kind of lesson would that be to your children?
    Last edited by 2w4s; 12-20-2010 at 01:41 PM.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just like my three year old, I guess I gotta be specific:-)

I just had a Titus Motolite stolen and looking to replace with an All Mountain type bike. I have spent a lot of time at Gooseberry when I lived nearby and like that kind of riding. I like steep/technical riding as much as bombing hills and an occasional day of lift served biking. So...looking for the "one bike fits all" So...Ibis Mojo HD, SC Nomad, Pivot Firebird or 5.7 are on my list.

Just looking for some beta since test riding in a parking lot tells little about that type of riding.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You're setting yourself up for lots of snarky replies the way you worded your question (i.e. can a Nomad handle Gooseberry or Slickrock), so don't be too surprised by the answers.

That being said, those bikes are way more than adequate to handle those trails without being too much overkill. If you are a really good rider, both the Nomad and Firebird will let you think outside the box and try some bigger stunts as compared to a more strandard trail bike (Blur LT or Mach 5 if were comparing among brands).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawyerdog
    Looking for a new present for myself and looking at the Nomad and Pivot Firebird. Just wondering how those bikes do on technical rides like Gooseberry or Slickrock type of riding???
    just got a nomad carbon; rides great up hill or down you might want to look at the carbon i think it is the best bike out there for all mountain 29 lb and 6.3 inch travel wow the places you can go!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    How can anyone be more specific than specifying a bike for a specific trail. The guy's asking for an opinion. Is it too much or too little bike for the mentioned trail? Howse about nuances? Is that too complicated? Yes, there are no absolutes in life, but then, its only an opinion, not a frikkin dissertation.

I know the bike, don't know the trail. Good luck on your choice.
    Last edited by bing!; 12-21-2010 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have a firebird. I ride at Gooseberry. The bike rides fine there, although you can pretty much ride any bike up there and have fun. I think it's better suited if you like to ride gooseberry & then drop down grafton.

Never ridden a nomad, but i love the bike for StG area. Too many nice bikes out there. Good luck on your purchase

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    if u "love" the climb, but like going downhill at reasonable speeds without worrying to much I'd say get a Blur LT with a 36 as it'll probably be more then u can handle. Now If u "like" the climb and love going downhill at sometime sick speeds I'd say get the Nomad. Though If your a light weight I'd lean even more towards the Blur as you'd be hard pressed to destroy that frame.

"No Clue Crew"
    I take my Firebird everywhere. I've never owned a Nomad. 29lbs sounds awesome but I tend to break stuff so I'd rather go heavy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    I take my Firebird everywhere. I've never owned a Nomad. 29lbs sounds awesome but I tend to break stuff so I'd rather go heavy.
    29lb for a carbon nomad is strong if you build it with good quality parts. My wifes old aluminum Nomad weighed between 28 and 34 pounds depending on the build. When it was set up xc style with a 140mm fork it was 28 pounds and she rode all of the Moab area and Gooseberry to Grafton (aka G2). 34 pounds was with a Totem, dh tires and set up for the ski hill.
    Although I think that you can easily ride a Firebird or a Nomad on the stuff in Utah I do think that a shorter travel bike (in the 140mm range) is better suited to the riding there if you are not into hitting some of the bigger stuff such as the jumps on the Grafton descent. But if you do like to take to the air a bit on the trails or think that you might want to either bike is a solid performer! I think that the only real difference between the 2 is that the Firebird is a bit steeper with a lower BB, while the Nomad is the opposite.