mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Anyone ridden rockshox sektor?

Alright,

Has anyone gotten some seat time on the sektor? I'm looking for an affordable fork to replace my marzocchi 44 ata (which has become terrible). The sektor looks like an awesome setup with some already tried and true technology from rockshox. How do you like it if you have ridden it?

Any other forks in that price range that may be of interest as well. I would like to stick around the 5" mark.

Thanks,

Tim

mtbr member
    I have just installed one on my TransAm.

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.

Seems to ride just like Pike 454, but with more travel and half a pound lighter. Great deal.

I need a firmer spring though..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    I have just installed one on my TransAm.

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.

Seems to ride just like Pike 454, but with more travel and half a pound lighter. Great deal.

I need a firmer spring though..

Good to hear. I weigh between 155-160 so I'm thinking I should be able to set it up decently out of the box. Thinking about ordering one up at work sometime this week.

It will be replacing a marzocchi 44 ata on my jamis xct 2.0. I try and limit the money I spend on this bike as most of my mtb money goes into the demo. I'm hoping the sektor will feel a lot better than the 44, all while not breaking the bank.

think
    Jul 2008
    Having also ridden one fairly recently I agree with Curmy - it pretty much feels like the Pike did. This is a good thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

This may be a dumb question...

but here it goes anyways, since you said it has "become terrible" have you changed the suspension fluid in the legs recently? It may be worth the couple dollars of fluid to check if you liked the feel of the fork when you first got it. Just sayin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler243
    but here it goes anyways, since you said it has "become terrible" have you changed the suspension fluid in the legs recently? It may be worth the couple dollars of fluid to check if you liked the feel of the fork when you first got it. Just sayin.
    Indeed. Maybe a good rebuild, some Enduro seals, maybe bushings, may make it to perform as new.

Though - I did opt against rebuilding Spinner Cargo that I had - no source of parts and service, and damn thing was two pounds heavier - no need for 36mm stanchions on that bike. That, and I scored a great deal on Sektor.

think
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    no need for 36mm stanchions on that bike.
    And here we must part ways. I would run a 36 on my road bike if I had a spare

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have about 5 rides on a new sektor coil and have owned a pike 454 coil u-turn for 4 years. I like coil forks and the pike has been outstanding. Great all around fork.

The sektor rides very well and feels just as solid as the pike. Too early to know if the sektor is as reliable as the pike. How rock shox did this for $100 less than the pike is a mystery to me. My only regret is not getting a sektor u-turn. The adjustability feature is great for longer climbs.
    R

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news
    And here we must part ways. I would run a 36 on my road bike if I had a spare
    Nah.. I do believe in moderation. I would not part ways with Wotan on my Coiler, maybe for a coil Lyrik, but Sektor with 20mm is good enough for a steel hardtail. I ride them at different speeds. That Spinner fork was an absolute pig. (Not a bad fork though, I just could not find a rebuild kit to fix leaking air. Maybe I will use it somehow. It was acquired for about $100 on Ebay, so no tears have been shed over its demise.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Even when it was in new working condition it just wasn't a good fork in my opinion. I'm looking to upgrade to something a little more adjustable and plush.The 44 is not a very all mountain fork and didn't take to anything other than easy to moderate trails well.

Do you guys think I should go for the air or coil version for a little bit of harder riding? What does the u-turn offer over the others? Travel adjust without swapping internals?

mtbr member
    ive ridden the 454 coil u turn for the last 2 years, i can never get it to absorb the stutter stuff the way I want. tried less rebound, more rebound middle rebound. 2 turns from bottom works the best. the U turn is very cool, short for the steeps and long for long downs. Also the bike fits into my Matrix with removing the front wheel with the U turn at 80 mm! I will be soon moving to a bike with fox float air. It feels more plush but no ride height. maybe they wil give me a trade in on a talas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ordered up a sektor rl u-turn coil today at work. Not sure when I'll actually get out to ride it, hopefully within the next few weeks.