Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

anyone regret going from a 4 inch to 6 inch bike?

right now i have a trance with a 32 talas up front, so 4/5 travel.. i raced bmx for years so im pretty smooth, and run a fairly xc setup (no weeny parts, but they're lighter duty stuff.. 450g rims and 2.1 nevs, etc) without breaking many parts.

i like the bike, but id like it more slack.. i know im going to give up a little speed with more travel, but i think id feel more secure on a longer travel bike on some downhill grunts. it doesnt look like id be adding more than 2lbs total with a couple more inches in the rear.

anyone switch over to a longer travel bike and regret doing so?

considering a reign or blur lt.. or another similar bike.

mtbr member
    Ummmm.... HELL NO. I don't care about weight so that won't be an issue for me. 6" is way better. There are plenty of bikes out there that you can ride all day w/ 6".
    By the way, skip the Blur. Go for the Reign. Reigns absolutely rock. Blurs are meh.
    Flame away, Blur riders.

Bike to the Bone...
    I just guess it depends on what riding you want to do. Unless you really just like to ride fast on smooth roads, there are several six inchers that are pretty fast but can handle rougher trails. I would think that coming from a BMX, you would do more with a 6 inch rather than 4.

The Blur LT is like 5.5 inch, not 6, but it looks as a pretty good bike.

ride hard take risks
    Same words here it all comes down to the rider.

Their are people that shred DH/AM/FR/DJ trail on a HT and refuse to ride FS. Then their are the riders that love how a FS can smooth out the same trails making it easier on the nut holding the bars.

A FS will make riding aggressive trail easier so the rider is less fatigued but if one lacks experience they will learn how to rip trail properly on a HT which is like a BMX working the pump.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a Reign with a 6" fork, which I ride a lot. Epic XC rides with big descents.

Honestly a lot of what I like about the bike is geometry and my body position on the bike. A lighter shorter travel is easier to toss around. The extra travel, honestly is not needed in most cases, unless you are doing big hits, or riding the roughest trail all day long.

There are handful maybe 2- 4 shorter travel bikes that you can find with slack geometry, but not nearly as many as the 6 inch bikes.

The Blur 4x, and Commencal Meta 4X -version. are two which come to mind.

There are times I wish I had a lighter bike, not enough to get rid of the bike I have now. I'm really happy with it.

The White Jeff W
    I haven't touched my 4" bike since I got my Yeti.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I built up a 5.5" bike the end of last season, then over the winter I built up a 4" bike that is about 5 lbs lighter so I figured I would ride that at some of the tamer spots I ride at. Well so far I always go for the 5.5" bike so much in fact I'm thinking about selling off my 4" bike after only about half a dozen rides
    I Ride Bikes.

mtbr member
    A 6" all mountain rig that would only weigh 2 extra pounds than your XC bike would be a huge improvement for those downhills you mentioned. I went from a 5" Stumpy to a 6" Enduro(non SL) and never ride my Stumpy now unless the Enduro needs work or I am racing XC.
    There is a over a 5 pound difference and climbing is harder on teched out tracks but the downhill is so much more enjoyable. Although there is only a 1" travel difference it feels more like 2 or 3 and more slack of course as well helping on the DH's....so much more plush. I like technical trails that demand good technical riding skills and it sounds like you are the same. Unless you are really XC oriented there will be no going back after you have ridden a more all mountain bike IMO.
    I would go for the Giant Reign as well....great platform(maestro) with universal good reviews. If you can get one with only a 2lb difference I doubt very much that you will regret it.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You might want to take a look at the Orange ST-4. Its supposed to be a 4 inch ripper with slacker angles.

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2009bik...hp?model_id=98

EDR
    anyone switch over to a longer travel bike and regret doing so?
    Best move I ever made was moving from my xc 4'' Tomac to the 575.

The extra travel is great but what really makes the bike soooooooooooooo much more fun to ride is the slacker angles. When I had my Tomac I was beginning to ride more technically advanced trails and it was scary being over the bars so much on the roll-offs and ledges. I would go OTB fairly often and was trying real hard to stay behind the bike but it was difficult since the HA was about 71 degrees or so. I had no idea that I might want/need a different bike to make that kind of riding more fun and manageable. Once I rode a 67 degree HA bike down those same trails I was SOLD! I went out and bought my first Yeti that next week and have never looked back.

In addition I find the extra few pounds to be a benefit. My bike is still light for a nearly 6'' bike at around 31lbs with a 160mm coil fork, maybe a tad less, so I can still attack the climbs and it feels confident going down.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Another vote for the Reign (I come from a bmx/freestyle background as well).

I went from no suspension to 4, and then and ended up getting a Reign near the end of the season. The extra suspension helps out a bunch on the downs and some of the techy stuff... and if you have a trance then you already know that the Reign will climb better than most others. The extra two inches will be a very obvious - and positive - change for the better.

I don't regret it at all, except that now I'm wanting even more suspension for riding steeper downhill trails! (used faith frame is on the way )

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you're feeling ambivalent you might wanna check out Scott Ransom. You get to choose between locked out, 4 or 6.5 inches of rear wheel travel with the flick of a switch on the handlebar.

Ride and Smile
    went from 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 and then recently to 8 and every jump was a big improvement. Still pedal up and REALLY love going around and down!

fux
    Scooterist
    I sold my Rocky mountain SXC when I bought my Niner hardtail.

At the end of the day, its not the bike but the rider.

Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the bike has a huge impact on the ride. show me anyone winning downhill races on a rigid singlespeed, or heading up the leadville 100 on an 8 inch freeride bike. theres definitely a compromise, and you definitely give up something, somewhere changing travel.. im just trying to not give up too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fux
    I sold my Rocky mountain SXC when I bought my Niner hardtail.

At the end of the day, its not the bike but the rider.

You're gonna have to show us some pics of you hitting some bigger stuff that that pic if you want us to believe you can rock the same terrain as a Full-sus AM bike with as much style, ease, aggressiveness and control on your hoola-hoop 29'er. I could do what your doing in that pic on a fully rigid wal-mart bike.
    Back your words up with some real pics, so we don't think you're full of $h!t.

fux
    Scooterist
    Its a back to the roots thing for me.

I also race XC, so I needed I bike I could do it all on.

show me anyone winning downhill races on a rigid singlespeed, or heading up the leadville 100 on an 8 inch freeride bike. theres definitely a compromise, and you definitely give up something, somewhere changing travel
    Yes obviously, I gave up 6 inch of travel! The thing for me is that I hate pushing and the thumb rule is the more travel you have, the more you`re gonna push.

Quite a few of the fellas I ride with have Cube Stereo`s (4 inchers), and they fly. You say yourself that you` re a old smooth BMX`er, why upp the travel if you want slacker angles? Have you looked at commencial? I think the newer bikes have adjustable head angles.

fux
    Scooterist
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    You're gonna have to show us some pics of you hitting some bigger stuff that that pic if you want us to believe you can rock the same terrain as a Full-sus AM bike with as much style, ease, aggressiveness and control on your hoola-hoop 29'er. I could do what your doing in that pic on a fully rigid wal-mart bike.
    Back your words up with some real pics, so we don't think you're full of $h!t.
    hoolahoop wallmart what?

Why the hate? If I posted the same picture, with me on my slayer....

You proberbly wouldn`t have bat an eyelid..... I used to race downhill on a hardtail back in the day we all did and even did a few world cups. I thought this was the AM board, not the freeride/downhill, prove to me what you can do board.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fux
    hoolahoop wallmart what?

Why the hate? If I posted the same picture, with me on my slayer....

You proberbly wouldn`t have bat an eyelid..... I used to race downhill on a hardtail back in the day we all did and even did a few world cups. I thought this was the AM board, not the freeride/downhill, prove to me what you can do board.
    Not hating. Just saying that that pic you posted as back-up for your comment wasn't really anything to show how much anyone rips on a hardtail. I have a hardtail too. It's the bike I'll hang onto the longest. I'm not literally asking for proof, just saying your example wasn't good proof.
    If you were doing the same on your Slayer I'd still say the same thing.
    But I'm gonna send some love out. Not hate. I see how my last comment reads too aggressive. Sorry.
    The rider/bike argument is as old as any phrase out there. Same bad-a$$ rider can still do more aggressive terrain on his 6 inch bike than his bad-a$$ can do on his own hardtail. Same goes for the intermediate rider.
    Sweet Slayer, by the way.

fux
    Scooterist
    Yeah, I sold that piece of crap slayer for the hula hoops...

I would say the rider bike debate should play a large role in this fella`s choice of bike. He says he is smooth and doesn`t brake parts, why should he opt for a 6 incher?

On the other hand, he is asking. So he will proberbly turn up on a nomad next week whatever the advice he gets here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i can ride everything on my 4 inch bike.. i hit trails that i see guys doing on 8 inch bikes.. thats basically a moot point.

its more fun with more travel.. thats all. im out for fun, not timing myself or racing other people.. just s' and giggles. if i can run a more fun bike that still pedals up nearly as well, ill be all over it! the reigns are half the price of the blurs.. i really need to find someone to let me pedal around a reign.

im not going to end up on anything until i can ride it on my local uphill death climb.. im in no rush.. a nomad is definitely too much bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    i can ride everything on my 4 inch bike.. i hit trails that i see guys doing on 8 inch bikes.. thats basically a moot point.

its more fun with more travel.. thats all. im out for fun, not timing myself or racing other people.. just s' and giggles. if i can run a more fun bike that still pedals up nearly as well, ill be all over it! the reigns are half the price of the blurs.. i really need to find someone to let me pedal around a reign.

im not going to end up on anything until i can ride it on my local uphill death climb.. im in no rush.. a nomad is definitely too much bike.
    Just get out on a Reign for a day & you'll be sold. I was on a loaner Reign that my buddy hooked me up with in Whistler this fall. I fell in love with that bike. If I didn't find such an unreal deal on my current AM bike, I'd be on a Reign right now. Do yourself a favor and test ride one.
    As far as the hoola-hooper saying you don't need the extra travel, I consider myself a pretty smooth rider as well, but I love more travel. Sure i don't NEED it, but I certainly LOVE it. To me its way more fun and climbing doesn't really matter. I climb everything the rest of my buddies do with no complaints. Check out more travel, you'll like it - Even if you are a bad-a$$ rider already.

eBiker
    I was going to joke and say: My only regret is not going 6" sooner.

But if you BMXed, you got some skills. Slacker geometry is one thing, amount of travel is another, make sure you separate the two.

My next bike will be slack but shorter and progressive travel, as it fits my skills and the terrain I ride.

If your smooth (if you BMXed, you are) you will make a trail bike sing more so than a lesser skilled rider on a Am rig.

Skills trump the bike so you are in a unique situation.

I suggest test riding rigs as much as you can, as your skills are most likely beyond most that MTB, so our comments are of limited use to you.

Let us know what you rock.

P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you want slacker just add a longer travel fork - Pike maybe. If you need more travel because your trails dictate yes you can descend faster on a longer travel bike. I have ridden 4-8" travel bikes and each had its merits and choosing the right bike for the terrain was key for maximum enjoyment. My current 140mm bike is an excellent all around trail bike. If I ride XC 3- 4" makes sense, Trail 5-6", AM 6"+, DH 7" + - just guestimates. Sure a Pro could take a HT and whoop most riders but just looking @ the best tool for the job.

mtbr member
    Not disappointed but slightly underwelmed. "Six and six" bikes are kind of been over hyped as do it all, wonder bikes of the new millennium but Im not a "do it all, wonder rider of the new millennium" kind of guy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast