Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Anyone on an IBEX Atlas? Pros and Cons compared to a Prophet or Heckler

I had posted on the IBEX forum and realized that they may be a bit biased. Just looking for feedback on the Atlas bikes (specifically the Atlas Sport) Thank you,

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by nepanite
    I had posted on the IBEX forum and realized that they may be a bit biased. Just looking for feedback on the Atlas bikes (specifically the Atlas Sport) Thank you,
    I have the Atlas & a Versus Blitz II & will still recomend the Asta
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

gnuH
    um, I think the OP is looking for an unbiased opinion

Freshly Fujified

Kind of hard to do

Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    um, I think the OP is looking for an unbiased opinion
    How can you give an un-biased opinion of a bike if you own one. Besides, the title of the thred starts "Anyone on an IBEX Atlas". That clearly implies that he's speaking to (biased by nature) Atlas owners. The feedback the OP will get is going to come from Atlas owners (I'm one of them) or people in these forums who have heard us Ibex Zealots rave about the bike. Either way, he's going to get the same feedback, and it will be biased.

Pros and cons are as follows:

Cons: You can't test ride it.

Pros: Bang for the buck.

Let's face it, the Heckler is often considered the de facto standard in single pivot, AM bikes and it has a great reputation to back it up. Prophet has a reputation that speaks for itself too. The Atlas is a great bike and the reviews you see in the Ibex Forum, while biased, are pretty damned accurate form my personal experience with the bike (I own the Expert).

If you really want an "un-biased" opinion, keep your eyes peeled for the upcoming review of the Atlas Sport in Dirt Rag.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

s62
    mtbr member
    I agree with the above post, mostly, but there are a few people (such as dogonfr) that are far too zealous and "spammish" about Ibex. If he's looking for "unbaised" opinions, I would not be seeking out mrpercussive, dogonfr, or jake to name a few Good guys, but ibex zealots who I'm sure do Ibex searches on these forums to make sure they dip their fingers into every post relating to Ibex. A bit too much. I got the same "baised" impression from the Ibex forum.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    who I'm sure do Ibex searches on these forums to make sure they dip their fingers into every post relating to Ibex. A bit too much. I got the same "baised" impression from the Ibex forum.
    That would be like a job There are allot of great bikes out there & if you ask somone there oppinion they will say theirs is the best & they are correct.
    Formotion Products

s62
    mtbr member
    lol, that's true enough... I know you guys love your bikes for sure I'm wondering about ppl who AREN'T so happy with Ibex. If they exist. Dunno.

gnuH
    I'm not insulting you Ibex guys, it's just that the OP stated that he felt like he got biased opinions on the Ibex forum, but then the first response he gets here is from a regular of the Ibex forum (complete with a link to the Ibex website in his sig...).

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    lol, that's true enough... I know you guys love your bikes for sure I'm wondering about ppl who AREN'T so happy with Ibex. If they exist. Dunno.
    There is always going to be the handfull of ones that had a bad experiance with something, nothing is perfect. There are products that i had bad experiance's with & just dont recomend them. I do sales & CS with Formotion & i feel we are great at standing behind our product's & helping our customers any way we can but we get bad emails & phone calls about 2 a month. But the bright side is we get over 100 happy responses for every 1 bad.
    Formotion Products

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    I'm not insulting you Ibex guys, it's just that the OP stated that he felt like he got biased opinions on the Ibex forum, but then the first response he gets here is from a regular of the Ibex forum (complete with a link to the Ibex website in his sig...).
    All cool here no insult taken.

I also have Formotion,Versus then Ibex in my sig. I noticed he had a post while i was here, nobody had responded so i was the first, not planed. I had also responded on the Ibex forum that is why the model recomended is not in his question here. There are many post that just keep slipping down without a response, someone needs to bring it back up to start the flow of input.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    There are some folks who keep misinterpreting what I have wrote here and use it as arguments to steer the readers to one direction only or to beef up their egos (post-purchase syndrome) so I have decided to remove all what I have said here and no longer participate in any discussions where these people are likely to participate.
    Last edited by ozvena; 07-03-2007 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm Thanks, guess I should have proofed the message b4 posting...

I meant to write if anyone had been on an Atlas? As in "had anyone rode one before being that it is a mail order only item?" But thanks for the understanding. The summary of pros and cons was good and previous posters were right that the IBEX forum is a little "too positive" but that may be a good thing. Maybe if I buy one, you'll see me doing a little bit of cheering myself. A better question would be regarding the Atlas's riding characterestics which would obviously have to come from owners or people who had the opportnity to ride it. I mean, the price seems really, really good I just wished I could get it in raw or polished or flat black for that matter!! Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    There are some folks who keep misinterpreting what I have wrote here and use it as arguments to steer the readers to one direction only or to beef up their egos (post-purchase syndrome) so I have decided to remove all what I have said here and no longer participate in any discussions where these people are likely to participate.

ride hard take risks
    I also ride a Versus Blitz II that weighs in at 39lbs & was my do all bike till i picked up the Atlas. The Blitz II is more capable of taking a impact & very easy to ride fast on the DH because of it's travel & designed build. Since riding the Atlas it is now my local trail bike, it's not as plush nor as fast descending the rough carp but there is no lack of confidence. The Atlas is also a great climber something im not but hay no one's perfect. As a AM/DH bike it has no problem holding it's own plus we cant forget besides a sweet bike the nut holding the handle bar is what really makes a bike shine. The Heckler is the original single pivot do all bike way before the term AM came around so it is the goal that all manufactures have to meet or coughcough beat. It aint easy to beat the master but technology has come a long way especially in the suspension area so the field has narrowed.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by ozvena
    Yes, but I think the big advantage of this "old" Heckler/Atlas technology is seen once you start taking the frame apart for maintenance. I like the simplicity of the single pivot frames and I am sure it goes hand with hand with reliability.
    Yup 2 bearings on either one.
    Formotion Products

fuggansonofahowa

You get what you pay for...

About the Heckler: awesome bike, probably THE single pivot AM bike to measure all others on (at least on a parking lot). What do you pay for? Single pivot technology? Like my '96 Proflex?....awesome, I do love SP bikes...even bobbing ones with MCU rears. The only thing you're really paying extra for with the Heckler is it's "Pose-a-bility". Pretty feminine colors and curvy tubes that I tend to ding and scuff-up in my first two weeks of riding anyway.

Bikes lasting forever? It's definetly possible....although I have a frame that won't take disc brakes or custom rear shock (air/coil/etc.). So technology can limit a frame's longevity.

This was my bottom-line thought in my purchase decision:
    Rich Posing AM Biker - buy Heckler
    Thrifty AM Biker - buy Atlas (comes in men's colors only, btw)

After my wife said, "Now that's a pretty bike"...nail in the coffin. I'll let her pick out my clothes for her functions I attend, but I draw the line with bikes.

I've been beating on my Atlas Expert for three weeks now and I'm a happy camper. I'm not worried about chipping off a little of my man-color (as I didn't break the bank on this trail tank).

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman
    After my wife said, "Now that's a pretty bike"...nail in the coffin. I'll let her pick out my clothes for her functions I attend, but I draw the line with bikes.
    Sounds kind of my wife... When I was choosing my current frame, her only comment was "that looks like it comes from Biltema" (A shop selling crap full suspension mountain bikes for about $99).

Once I received it she was like "Hey, that actually looks really nice... Though it looks like a womans bike 'cause it has red and white."

it tied the room together
    How much front travel do you want? According to Ibex, the Atlas is built to run a 120mm to 140mm front fork. The new Heckler's geometry is built around a 140mm fork but is spec'd to handle up to 170mm. A late model Heckler takes up to 160mm. This tells me that the Heckler is a beefier bike (at least up front).

For full disclosure, I have a Heckler ('05) and love it. But like every bike, there is no one bike that fits us all. My only concern with going Ibex would be that you can't sit on one, let around pedal it around. $1000 is a lot of money to drop on uncertainty.

If you want an Atlas, find an Atlas owner that lives close enough for a day trip and would be willing to let you take it for a spin.

If you decide a Heckler is in your future, be prepared to wait. Santa Cruz is often behind schedule and unable to meet customer demand. So the Ibex or Cannondale may be the way to go if you need it now.

Lastly, the Sport is spec'd like a $1000 bike. Try to stretch for the Expert. If you're looking at the Pro, just go Heckler.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

mtbr member
    Last edited by ozvena; 07-03-2007 at 07:41 AM.

mtbr member

ride hard take risks
    Right under the words Add To Cart it says Geometry if you click on that you will find numbers.

Was this your LBS that tryed to sell you a 19" bike
    Formotion Products

mtbr member

ride hard take risks
    Thanks for the effort, now I see it too:

Effective Top-Tube Length
    22" 23" 24"

And this is pretty cool that they have listed it as "Effective"

No, it was one of the 'new' 3-frame size internet company like thous that pop up like mushrooms after a rain. And I called them twice and spoke to all the two people I could get on the phone coz I had hard time believing it. Man am I glad I did not get this 3-frame size company frame?
    Experiances like that will sour ones taste for the rest, sorry you had a bad experiance but you were at least smart enough to know better. Others that may not no better are or could be on the wrong size bikes.

Just so all know my Atlas is always ready for a test ride in real world conditions but im in NorCal so i didn't offer it up. No i dont work for them just like riding & getting more people involved.
    Formotion Products

fuggansonofahowa
    I'm not saying that the Heckler is a bad bike...in fact, just the opposite. It's one bike that can can be configured from light XC to freeride. 6" travel is great for FR/DH, but a little much for all mountain (this forum), but I understand your point...the frame IS tough. It's a very popular bike....I just don't see/read any REAL benefit of more money for the Heckler frame, as compared to the Atlas.

p.s.
    I'm just joking about colors...they actually make my mouth water, thinking about fruit. Black looks rockin'....or is that "midnight lunar eclipse"...

s62
    mtbr member
    um, 6" too much? Seems to be the standard for the Enduro, Nomad, Reign... kings of the AM hill.

Master of Baked Goods
    While you be be getting the same suspension technology, there is a LOT more to consider when purchasing a bike. One is the build quality (quality of welds and stuff). Another is how the suspension is set up. Bikes can with the same basic suspension can feel a lot different depending on the pivot placement. You would also have to choose which geometry suits you better too.

Personally, I think the Heckler is overpriced (sort of want one but can't afford) and I a bit uneasy about ordering a bike I have never ridden before. So unless you can test an Atlas first I would go with a Prophet.

That's my $0.02 CAD.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monstrr
    That's my $0.02 CAD.
    Nice
    Formotion Products

fuggansonofahowa
    All excellent bikes, I agree, but we're talking single pivots here...

I think you'll find that 5.5" is about the current limit of SP bikes with today's technologies.

Maybe I meant to say 6+ inches. The 130mm rear travel of the IBEX is only .4" less than the Prophet and the Heckler (both single pivots, btw). Stick a 6"+ fork and you feel like your doing wheelies on flat ground....not ideal for climbing.

The Enduro and Nomad are 6"+ travel, but not quite single pivot bikes. Any extra linkages will lower shock efficencies and transfer energies to the frame/pivots/faux/link.....physics. Nothing against these bikes, they ride excellently....I just prefer the simplicity and durability of the ole' single pivot.

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monstrr

So unless you can test an Atlas first I would go with a Prophet.

That's my $0.02 CAD.
    Lefties scare the crap outta me....

ride hard take risks
    All excellent bikes, I agree, but we're talking single pivots here...

I think you'll find that 5.5" is about the current limit of SP bikes with today's technologies.

Maybe I meant to say 6+ inches. The 130mm rear travel of the IBEX is only .4" less than the Prophet and the Heckler (both single pivots, btw). Stick a 6"+ fork and you feel like your doing wheelies on flat ground....not ideal for climbing.

The Enduro and Nomad are 6"+ travel, but not quite single pivot bikes. Any extra linkages will lower shock efficencies and transfer energies to the frame/pivots/faux/link.....physics. Nothing against these bikes, they ride excellently....I just prefer the simplicity and durability of the ole' single pivot.
    Cchek out Orange
    http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2007bikes/bikes.php

Ibex Atlas 5" travel
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ATLAS-PRO-Details.html

130mm = 5.118 iinches
    Formotion Products

Baba Booey!
    Lefties scare the crap outta me....

WORD! I have a real problem with all these companies that insist on using proprietary components. It's kinda like instead of doing one thing and doing one thing well, they have to do everything sacrificing quality inorder to lock customers into their product. Not saying that c-dale makes inferior products, by no means, but my draw to the heckler was the fact that YOU could truly customize it with a variety of shocks, forks, and various components to make the bike that YOU want not what some company thinks you want or what you should be riding. And as far as IBEX goes, I have a bad taste in my mouth from them. I bought a bike from them a couple years ago, and bent the rear triangle within 6 months. The frame is the cornerstone of a good bike and in my experience, Ibex couldn't deliver that.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    FWIW Prophets have been available with 'traditional' forks for awhile. Also, have never seen a complaint about a Prophet bent frame. Not saying it/they don't exist, just havn't seen one.

s62
    mtbr member
    No, Cannondale isn't sacrificing quality with the lefties. The lefties are an excellent design and work amazingly well, but yes, I hear you guys about proprietary components and hardwear. I'm not a fan either. The lefties are great, but I'm not ready to be sold to ONE and ONE ONLY brand of shock, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    To the OP, I was in the same position that you are a couple of months ago and was considering the same 3 bikes. I went with the Heckler, because
    1. I found it on closeout due to the new models
    2. The most important, it was the one I was in love with

So, forget all this nonsense that this thread has turned into about which bike is better, single pivots sucks, lefties suck and crap. Go test ride the Prophet and the Heckler if possible. If it is not love at first site, then call of IBEX and have a talk with them about the Atlas. I think if you look at the Atlas's numbers it is very similar to the Heckler. Another Advantage to the Prophet is most do like the Leftie Fork (very stiff) and it the geometry can be adjust because it has two rear shock mounting holes. Just my opinion.

Baba Booey!
    OH I knew I was gonna stir the pot with that post! I'm certainly not saying that c-dale makes bad bikes. As for proprietary components, Specialized as jumped into that stuff with things like the special DHX that they put on the enduro, and they have that new fsr with a special rear shock and dual crown fork made by fox. I don't know, I just don't like being told what 'best' for my bike. How do they know what kind of hills I climb or what kind surface I ride on?
    I like working on my bike and making exactly how I want it. Thats all, no offense....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TrumbullCT

Lastly, the Sport is spec'd like a $1000 bike. Try to stretch for the Expert. If you're looking at the Pro, just go Heckler.
    Please find me another bike for under a grand that comes with these components that is not last years model.

I just purchased the Atlas. I was looking to spend 2-3 grand on a new Cannondale or Gary Fisher Hifi Pro (I just rode one on Sunday). I won't notice the difference between a 3k and a 1k bike for some time, and when that time comes I will splurge on what I want. I may hate riding and never touch my bike after my first time out. Who cares, I only spent a grand.
    I'm a weekend warrior who hasn't been on a bike since my bmx/street days on a 20". At the end of the day your bike means crap. I have a snowboarding background and I see way more people dropping stuff on old crappy equipment than I see the rich kids who cruise the greens on their $2000 Burton set up. Bang for the buck goes to IBEX. So far all I have read about them has been 95% good.

btw..i could pulls 3's, no footers etc on a $270 GT Outpost trail (probably a 1995) off of 5-7' bmx jumps. That sub $300 bike took all I dished at it until after a year I dropped 5' onto pavement and landed wrong and the fork bent a little. I'm guessing the Atlas can handle this as well

Master of Baked Goods
    Well if you decide on a prophet you could always get the Prophet 6 or 3z, both of which come with conventional forks. Even if you do decide to0 get a model with a Lefty you can always change it I'm sure. Might require a new front hub, stem, and reducer cups depending on the fork but still...

mtbr member

it tied the room together
    Quote Originally Posted by kbdub
    Please find me another bike for under a grand that comes with these components that is not last years model.
    That's not the point. The OP is not comparing $1000 bikes.

kbdub...the assumption is that OP is not a weekend warrior. If he is then we are all wasting our time here. )))
    Exactly, and thank you.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TrumbullCT
    That's not the point. The OP is not comparing $1000 bikes.

My point was that you are getting $1700 worth of bike from another manufacturer for $1000 from IBEX due to overseas assembly. I have to spend $800 more from a name brand company to get the same components. If the OP is more than a weekend warrior then why is he considering an Atlas Sport? A prophet with the same set up is 1650. For that price you can almost get an Atlas with XTR. Yes a Heckler is a better bike and I think there is no comparison between a frame that is more than a complete bike. That said, is he going to notice the difference between an Atlas and a Heckler? Does his riding warrant a bike that good?

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by kbdub
    My point was that you are getting $1700 worth of bike from another manufacturer for $1000 from IBEX due to overseas assembly. I have to spend $800 more from a name brand company to get the same components. If the OP is more than a weekend warrior then why is he considering an Atlas Sport? A prophet with the same set up is 1650. For that price you can almost get an Atlas with XTR. Yes a Heckler is a better bike and I think there is no comparison between a frame that is more than a complete bike. That said, is he going to notice the difference between an Atlas and a Heckler? Does his riding warrant a bike that good?
    Those ARE the questions the OP must ask himself.

There is no wrong or right answer to be had here.....please, everyone, get back on your bikes and RIDE...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

... and if we just ... re:overseas assembly (and Heckler)

I have been following the thread but not posting anything since the thread went off in different (but still helpful) directions. If I'm not mistaken, I always thought that Cannondale was one of (if not the only) remaining large mfr. that still made bikes in the USA. Also, note that I live in PA and would rather support local businesses when feasible...I thought that Santa Cruz had been having their frames made overseas like the other major players??? (and yes, I am aware of the irony in buying an IBEX since it would be anything but local)

Really, I was hoping to just get either good/bad feedback regarding the IBEX. I would assume they are able to offer the "lower" prices due to the simple fact that they sell online only. The Prophet and Heckler seem to both get positive reviews but I had planned to get the Prophet 6 (the "low end" Prophet) so I thought the "street price" would be at least $100 less than the MSRP shown on their website which puts it in the range of the IBEX Atlas Sport. The Heckler is probably out of my price range but if I got to test ride one and totally fell in love with it I could make an exception... .although I am open to buying used if I could see the bike in person ( I keep an eye out on the MTBR classifieds and craigslist, Ebay was taking up too much time).

One poster hit the nail on the head with the comments about the price disparity betwen the Heckler, Prophet and Atlas and the whole issue of whether the differences were really worth the $$$. Thanks for everyone's input, decisions,decisions, decisions.....
    Thanks for your help

ride hard take risks
    It all depends on the nut holding the bars. You could put Marla Streb on all 3 bikes & she would probibally say yup they made it down the hill.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you are looking at the prophet 6 then my 02 would be get the Atlas Sport for the sake of having better components. I was looking at the Prophet 5 and decided on the Atlas because it has better components and I can easily upgrade the frame later. Also, I don't want to be stuck with a Prophet fork/hub/stem if I ever feel like switching things up. I do not think you are going to notice the difference a Cannondale frame vs Atlas frame. You will get down the hill faster on the Cannondale because your wallet will be several hundred dollars lighter As far as not being able to ride one before you buy it-what do you get out of your parking lot ride? I rode the Hifi Pro and it felt like crap. I would have still bought it becuase I know it would be great once it was on the dirt.

As far as the made in the USA support your LBS...At the end of the day it boils down to money. Cannondale is corporate America. When I call Cannondale I don't talk to the owner of the company. My IBEX was made and partially assembled in Taiwan, put in a box and shipped to GA. It will be on my doorstep tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Last edited by ozvena; 07-03-2007 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Last edited by ozvena; 07-03-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Who are the brain police?
    For gods sake, don't post ANY IBEX cons, not if you like this forum.
    Negative things about IBEX were said on the Political-Socio-Economic-Religion forum so they removed the search function so IBEX wouldn't hear about it.

Nice IBEX, IBEX nice!
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    We all need to know your secret.
    Pull out debit card. Or realize I'm more serious than I though I was and drop buy a new complete setup.

And as far as luxury cars go, my Z06 will kill a $200k+ supercar in a straight line and will keep up with them on a road course. No it doesn't have 12 cow hides in it and some of the fit and finish is not quite as good. The "you get what you pay for" is not always the case when it comes down to strictly performance.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast