mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm Anyone here use caged pedals?

Hey all -

I grew up BMXing and just can't get comfortable using clips. I bought a $15 pair of caged pedals and love the way they feel on my bike but they're pretty low quality. The cage strap loosens pretty quickly on me and I always find myself leaning down as I ride to tighten.

There aren't too many caged pedals on the market for MTB that I could find, are there any high quality ones you all might suggest? I regularly ride All-Mountain

-Kevin

Picture Unrelated
    F that. Toe clips are death traps.

What's wrong with a BMXesque platform pedal? That's where it's at these days, toe clips don't add anything to your pedaling stroke (pulling up on pedals is a myth, it's simply an unweighting on the upstroke) and they trap your feet on the pedal if they're tight enough to do any good anyway. Tons of threads on good and inexpensive flat pedals, get one of those and some flat soled shoes (like skate shoes) and you'll be golden. I'm personally running Straitline pedals with a pair of DC skate shoes.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    I used to run cages as I hated been clipped in. That was until I discovered the joys of platforms! I ditched the cages and now run either sunline V ones or MG-1 ti pedals depending on what I'm riding and 510 freerider shoes. It's like your clipped in as it's so grippy, but you can change the position of your feet and bail instantly if you need to. I also recommend trying a pair of platforms.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I do like using the cage on the upstroke so am not comfortable going straight platform pedals

-Kevin

mtbr member
    I do, only because they came with the bike and I'm still deciding on clipless pedal and shoes. Once I figure it out, they are gone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What brand? Are they any good?

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by tittiot View Post
    Hey all -

I grew up BMXing and just can't get comfortable using clips. I bought a $15 pair of caged pedals and love the way they feel on my bike but they're pretty low quality. The cage strap loosens pretty quickly on me and I always find myself leaning down as I ride to tighten.

There aren't too many caged pedals on the market for MTB that I could find, are there any high quality ones you all might suggest? I regularly ride All-Mountain

-Kevin
    There aren't a lot of cages for MTBs available because they're harder to get out of than clipless. Endoing while being unable to come out of a cage convinced me to go to clipless over 15 years ago.

Today, clipless and platforms (like BMX) are pretty common, depending on your preference or riding style. I use both, but I would never go back to cages.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    if you are absolutely set on toe clips i would look into the straps that fixie riders use...it would probably be a good compromise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a pair of eggbeaters right now and hate them - esp because they aren't adjustable

Everyone tells me I should go with a Shimano SPD pedal. Any recs on which ones are best all-around? I ride AM and XC pretty regularly. Do they make Shimano SPD pedals with one side clip, other side platform?

jddist
    May 2008
    I ride with cages, and have been for over 10 years. I tried going clipless a couple of times but could never get the feel for it. I can run clipless for basic XC stuff, but when it gets fast and technical cages work better for me. I have no problem getting out of my cages, much easier than any clipless platform I tried. It is all about the shoes you are using. Basic running or skate shoes work best. Stay away from hiking boots/shoes. I have been using the Performance Brand Forté ATB Comp Pedals and they last about a season. And BTW, I ride very technical all mountain stuff. The kind of stuff that a lot of riders will walk. My point is that I am not an XC guy. Just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a pair of eggbeaters right now and hate them - esp because they aren't adjustable

Everyone tells me I should go with a Shimano SPD pedal. Any recs on which ones are best all-around? I ride AM and XC pretty regularly. Do they make Shimano SPD pedals with one side clip, other side platform?
    Not sure if you know this, but depending on how you have the cleat installed sets the release angle.

I had Time pedals, but like the versatility of my Mallets better.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Ride Responsibly
    same release used as clipless so could help with the change if these get old.
    http://www.amazon.com/Power-Grips-Sp.../dp/B001FYGGLC

And for a good "caged" pedal try the WTB Momentum, has grease gaurd and the little flip tab to get the cage back up on top.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...edal&x=17&y=15
    Last edited by LWright; 07-26-2011 at 11:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    istvisinet - you sound just like me. I can ride clips on regular XC but not comfortable on AM.

The link to Performance Brand Forte ATB Comp Pedals weren't cages though? Also why do they last just a season? Those things look like they're built to last, do the teeth wear down that quickly?

Ride Responsibly
    Not 4 sure on eggbeaters, but on the Time ATAC that I run, you have some adjustment built into the cleat if you reverse which cleat goes on which shoe.

mtbr member
    ive been using these for almost a year. ive had no problems with them. i set them so theyre just tight enough that i can slip my foot in an out of them without making any adjustments but i ride XC

http://www.rei.com/product/752209/we...ps-with-straps

http://www.rei.com/product/752205/we...-21-atb-pedals
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert