No Clue Crew

Anyone have a Status pedal bike? XPost from Specialized Forum

Anyone have a Status pedal bike?

May be looking to upgrade soon as my rear triangle just broke on my Pitch. It's being warranteed but I'm wondering if that's a sign that the stress I've put on the bike is wearing it down.

So, two Specialized options: Enduro. More than I wanna spend. Status. Reasonably close but it's now a "downhill" bike. When they first came out they were the replacement for the Pitch. Then they moved it in the lineup to replace the Big Hit (I think). But, the price it better.

I think with an air shock and a 9 or 10 speed drivetrain (11 is way overpriced) it would be as good a pedal bike as my Pitch was. And a better descender, too.

Thoughts...

mtbr member
    I wouldn't use it for pedaling uphill, or any DH bike for that matter. It is a DH bike that is supposed to be more affordable than the Demo; similar to how the Pitch was marketed as a no frills version of the Enduro.

The bike that replaced the Pitch is the Stumpjumper EVO. Geo is very similar, the suspension is more efficient, price is higher, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree with Ktse. The Status won't be very pleasant to pedal uphill due to the geometry of the bike. Is Specialized sending you a new rear triangle for the Pitch under warranty or replacing the frame altogether? The Stumpy EVO or Enduro would be a better option for the riding you're talking about doing.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    I agree with Ktse. The Status won't be very pleasant to pedal uphill due to the geometry of the bike. Is Specialized sending you a new rear triangle for the Pitch under warranty or replacing the frame altogether? The Stumpy EVO or Enduro would be a better option for the riding you're talking about doing.
    New rear triangle. Just got the call from the shop that it's ready. A lot quicker than I thought it'd be.

Stumpy or Enduro would be a good option but more expensive.

Got a buddy that demod a Phoenix and one of our runs down South Mountain was what we call our "long run" that involves a fair amount of pedaling. He was surprised how well it pedaled. That got me to thinking about pedaling a DH bike. Not terribly certain I understand why the geo of a bike would make it difficult but I know that's a generally well held belief so there must be some truth to it. Plus, they are generally more "plush" which is why I figured an air shock might help.

But, I guess for now, I don't have to worry about it. Maybe one day when I decide to upgrade I'll give it a try. If I hate it I'll put the stock drivetrain back on a sell it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What's your budget? The new Kona Process seems like a nice bike and moderately priced.

No Clue Crew
    Well, I'll be perfectly honest. I do not believe there is a bike made today that is worth what the manufacturer is asking. Buying a new bike is like buying a new car. You are getting fkd. Hard. Actually, it's worse than buying a new car.

When I got my Pitch Pro 3 years ago it was a 2010 with a retail of $2100 (IIRC) leftover in 11 so I got it for $1300. That's a reasonable price. It was the most I could afford for a bike that would take the abuse I was gonna give it.

Were I buying a new bike now I wouldn't spend more than $2500. A bicycle simply isn't worth what "they" ask...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Couldn't agree more. Bike prices have gotten out of control. You're better off checking pinkbike/ebay for something that is priced to sell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Mike,
    I love your posts in the AZ forum, and have watched just about all your videos on V.

Having come from the 7" freeride/DH bike side of things, they will do the job on the way up, and kill it on the way down, but after a while the frustrations and efforts of climbing outweigh the benefits of descending. At least that is where I ended up.

I know this bike is not the "fad of the week" but I've been riding the "70" version for a couple of months and I do not miss my 7" coil bike on the descents, and they climb like a billy goat, so, I actually prefer it to my XC hardtail on the climbs we have here in greater phoenix.
    Rocky Mountain Slayer 50 Bike 2013
    I know I am not among the "in" crowd on the AZ forum, but I've been riding mtn bikes since the early 80's so I don't consider myself a total tool either.
    I'm not sure what size frame you are looking for, but if you are a small human like myself we could hook up for a test ride of my rig.

Good luck in your search
    My bike, Slayer 70

No Clue Crew
    Thanks for the opinion, Mike. I eyeballed the Slayer before I bought the Pitch and it looks like it's done the same thing as the Enduro has: stretched it's legs each year.

I would certainly be happy with a 170mm/180mm ride like the Slayer or Enduro. Just thinking out loud about how far to push the envelope.

I ride between a L and XL so your's may not fit But, I'd be happy to ride with you. Whereabouts do you usually ride? As you know I spend most of my time at PMP or SoMo.

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    PM'd
    My bike, Slayer 70

mtbr member
    I know of two 'light' builds on the Status frame with 2x10 drivetrains, dropper posts and 11-36 cassettes. One is with 180mm Fox 36, the other 888 RC3 Evo. Both owners are extremely happy with them.

There is a trend in the group I ride with to use big bikes. Spesh freeride frames ( Big Hits, Statuses ( Statii? ), SX Trails etc. )are actually quite pleasant to use for such. Granted, they get quite lardy ( 16-17 kilos ) but they ride up quite well and descent like a pure bred DH rig.

I'd say - go for it.

EDIT: Pics of the bikes in question. The white fox is lengthened to 180mm, I dunno how as I don't know the owner very well.

Anyone have a Status pedal bike? XPost from Specialized Forum-status1.jpg

Anyone have a Status pedal bike? XPost from Specialized Forum-status2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It's not a Status bit the SX Trail2. I use it as a pedal bike. Works very good. Fox Van 180 on the front. Not the lightest bike on the trail. About 37 pounds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a Status pedal bike? XPost from Specialized Forum-image.jpg  

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    I know of two 'light' builds on the Status frame with 2x10 drivetrains, dropper posts and 11-36 cassettes. One is with 180mm Fox 36, the other 888 RC3 Evo. Both owners are extremely happy with them.

There is a trend in the group I ride with to use big bikes. Spesh freeride frames ( Big Hits, Statuses ( Statii? ), SX Trails etc. )are actually quite pleasant to use for such. Granted, they get quite lardy ( 16-17 kilos ) but they ride up quite well and descent like a pure bred DH rig.
    That's kinda what I was thinking. Glad to see someone is killing with a heavier rig.

Quote Originally Posted by beerguitar69 View Post
    It's not a Status bit the SX Trail2. I use it as a pedal bike. Works very good. Fox Van 180 on the front. Not the lightest bike on the trail. About 37 pounds.
    SX Trail was damn close to the perfect bike for someone like me without the money to have a bike for every discipline. Got a buddy that replaced his broken Enduro with one and another buddy that had one for a while. Heavier but would definitely take the abuse I want to give it. Don't think it's quite as slack as the Status but it would still be a great bike for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Bit of a thread dig but better than starting a new one I suppose.

Contemplating buying a 2014 status and building it up as a freeride/enduro bike. I'm currently on a 150mm Rocky Mountain Altitude and it's starting to feel quite lacking in travel for the speed and terrain I'm riding, however there is no lift service. I have an XC bike so this thing doesn't have to pedal for miles and miles just get to the top and bomb down.

I don't have the budget right now for a brand new "super enduro" bike or the like so that's out of the question. I can however build up a bike over time as I'll likely keep my Altitude for the time being.

What I was considering is this:

Large status 2, (keep the boxxers for DH shuttle days)
    Fox 36 27.5 fork set to 180mm
    2017 Fox DHX2 with compression switch for climb setting
    Shimano 11 speed
    Saint brakes
    Dropper post
    Light bicycle carbon wheels
    Plus tyre front and whatever I can fit on the rear.

Considering the effective seat angle is 75 degrees which pretty much matches most current enduro bikes. Reach is a little longer than my Altitude currently. Modern gearing and a climbing platform shock. Will this thing pedal to the top without killing me? And will it absolutely shred down?

I know it'll be heavier than my Altitude but I actually like a bit of weight for stability on the way down, I'm pretty heavy myself at 200lb.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    It appears I'd have to short shock the status to get a DHX2 with a compression lever apparently an 8.5x2.5 shock makes the rear travel 185mm which is enough but the lower bb and slacker angles might be problematic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Apparently Cane Creek make a DB Coil CS in 8.75x7.5, I'd rather the Fox but that will do.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Love my heavy, sturdy and hell of a downhiller.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk