Boriqua Puneta

Anyone have experience with the e thirteen xcx-st and LG1+

Anyone have experience with the e thirteen xcx-st and LG1+
    I just converted My Pivot 5.7 to a single 32T X10 unramped race face chain ring. I went on my first ride and I dropped the chain a few times. I'm looking for a light weight chain guide that would keep my chain in place. I don't do any crazy jumps but I do like to go fast on choppy stuff. Both of the time I dropped my chain were in fast and choppy sections. Im looking at the e thirteen xcx-st. I also saw the LG1+ which weights double the grams but offers a better coverage against chain drops. My concern is that the LG1+ might add resistance against pedaling. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks
    Only type of shuttle I ride....the ambulance!

GAME ON!
    i've had both. the only difference would be whether you need the extra protection or not. i decided the guide was overkill for me. i hit the chainring every now and then but it's not a big deal. the top part of each is pretty much identical. resistance is negligible. no more than a derailleur at least. just be aware that the xcx-st is more finicky than the lg1+. mine took some modification, but the 5 spot has a peculiar seat tube design towards the bottom. if your seat tube is straight and goes all the way down to the downtube, you should be fine.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

usually cranky
    lg1. adds no noticeable resistance. those top only guides work fine on hard tails and short travel xc bikes but when you are getting into longer travel go all the way. id take the extra 100g and my chain always staying on every time. plus you can remove the taco.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    lg1. adds no noticeable resistance. those top only guides work fine on hard tails and short travel xc bikes but when you are getting into longer travel go all the way. id take the extra 100g and my chain always staying on every time. plus you can remove the taco.
    you can't remove the taco on the lg1+. well, you can, but it is connected to the jockey wheel so you'd basically end up with the xcx anyway. i don't know if 145mm is long travel, short travel or mid travel, but i have 140mm and i have never dropped the chain on my bike while riding with the xcx
    RIP Adam Yauch

usually cranky
    your right, i was thinking about the lg1. you could also go trs+ if you want no taco and lighter weight. maybe it is how my guide was setup or the fsr design but i dropped my chain at least a couple times a ride with just a xcx on my stumpy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I recently installed an LG1.

I'll echo what has been said about adding very little resistance, not really needing a taco, and the idea that trading a little weight (which is placed very low on the bike, so it's not as if it affects handling much) for a nearly 100% "chain staying on the ring" percentage is well worth it.

Have not dropped the chain in two rides. I haven't used it enough to declare it "perfect" but it hasn't let me down yet either.

Installation was relatively easy...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hallo, could anyone tell if the XCX ST clamp mount would work with a 28-30t chainring? It's sold for the 32-44t range, but I can't find any other guide for smaller ring.

GAME ON!
    it barely works with a 32t on my bike. it won't work with anything smaller. nor will it work with anything bigger than 44... hence the range limitation.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    it barely works with a 32t on my bike. it won't work with anything smaller. nor will it work with anything bigger than 44... hence the range limitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    Hallo, could anyone tell if the XCX ST clamp mount would work with a 28-30t chainring? It's sold for the 32-44t range, but I can't find any other guide for smaller ring.

It will...depending on what crank/ring/frame combo it's going on.

Some frames won't allow you to move it far enough down the seat-tube to get coverage, and some crank/ring combos will give interference.

Some of the spider-less rings now showing up work fine with the XCX, as long as it'll work on the frame. I'm using one just fine with the new XTR crank 30t ring, but it's got a smaller BCD that doesn't cause interference. Also have a setup with a 30t spider-less ring on a SRAM GXP crank setup.

You may also need the cross/road specific version depending on your chai-nline - the more inboard line of my XTR crank required that - the regular version sits too far outboard, even with being able to adjust it a bit, and play around with ring/BB spacing.

YMMV.

I've found best results at not dropping the chain with the XCX when it's paired with a clutch style rear derailleur that helps keep the chain from coming off the bottom of the ring. Combine with a good single specific ring and as short a chain as you can get away with, it should work well on all but the gnarliest fast chunky stuff.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'd recommend the e thirteen TRS. Its similar to XCX but it has a lower chain tensioner. The chain tensioner is what keeps your chain from dropping. The TRS is also a lot lighter than the LG1. The LG1 is a bit over kill for the type of riding it sounds like you're doing. I've been using the TRS for a few rides and it is fairly quiet and smooth.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    It will...depending on what crank/ring/frame combo it's going on.

Some frames won't allow you to move it far enough down the seat-tube to get coverage, and some crank/ring combos will give interference.

Some of the spider-less rings now showing up work fine with the XCX, as long as it'll work on the frame. I'm using one just fine with the new XTR crank 30t ring, but it's got a smaller BCD that doesn't cause interference. Also have a setup with a 30t spider-less ring on a SRAM GXP crank setup.

You may also need the cross/road specific version depending on your chai-nline - the more inboard line of my XTR crank required that - the regular version sits too far outboard, even with being able to adjust it a bit, and play around with ring/BB spacing.

YMMV.

I've found best results at not dropping the chain with the XCX when it's paired with a clutch style rear derailleur that helps keep the chain from coming off the bottom of the ring. Combine with a good single specific ring and as short a chain as you can get away with, it should work well on all but the gnarliest fast chunky stuff.
    Thank you, I'd use it with a spiderless chainring, so no interference problems, but I don't know if the collar can go low enough.
    Could I take any measure in order to know if it will work before buying one?
    And where can I find the chainline data for that guides?

Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I'd recommend the e thirteen TRS. Its similar to XCX but it has a lower chain tensioner. The chain tensioner is what keeps your chain from dropping. The TRS is also a lot lighter than the LG1. The LG1 is a bit over kill for the type of riding it sounds like you're doing. I've been using the TRS for a few rides and it is fairly quiet and smooth.
    I can only use a seat clamp mounted chainguide (PF bb and no ISGC). As a lower tensioner I already have a Bionicon c.guide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Some frames won't allow you to move it far enough down the seat-tube to get coverage
    As you are using one with a 30t ring, could you measure the height of the clamp (say: fom the BB center to the lower part of the clamp) in order to kow if my frame can take it low enough? I would really appreciate it.

Dropshot Champ!
    e13 xcx-st is a damn good guide. I've never dropped a chain. Ever.

with the bionicon, you're set.

Just use a 32t ring!

GAME ON!
    if you don't have an interrupted seat tube or a wonky shaped tube, you shouldn't have an issue in terms of height
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    if you don't have an interrupted seat tube or a wonky shaped tube, you shouldn't have an issue in terms of height
    There's a suspension pivot down there

GAME ON!
    maybe give the mrp 1x a try. it looks like the clamp is higher up than the xcx which might allow for more room to tinker.
    RIP Adam Yauch